Mafia 47 - The Sixth Mass Extinction - GAME THREAD [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Vaporwave

Re: Mafia 47 - The Sixth Mass Extinction - GAME THREAD [HIDDEN]

#541 Post by Vaporwave » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 pm
Vaporwave wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:51 pm
Neph has expressed in a following post that lovely splendid llama will not appear as part of characters :(
Was that in the signup thread?

worcej

#542 Post by worcej » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 pm
damo666 wrote:
Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Oh, but I think we can totally discuss your attempt to setup a bunch of noise in the thread. No response to that accusation?
Fine
You think my accusation is "fine"? Fine as in "well-reasoned" or of otherwise acceptable quality? Or fine as in you grudgingly admit my accusation is correct?
Another prime example of why I wish damo wrote longer posts than just a sentence.

worcej

#543 Post by worcej » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:55 pm

brainbomb wrote:
worcej has felt like a lock wolf the moment he opened his scummy mouth this game
Just because I am posting instead of hiding? Or because I am engaging multiple people? Or because your going down a braintangent?

worcej

#544 Post by worcej » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:57 pm

Come now BB, give me some more to comment on!

brainbomb

#545 Post by brainbomb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm

worcej wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:57 pm
youve said plenty. tell me about vecnas 'far up worcejs ass' townread.

Foxcastle

#546 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Vaporwave wrote:
Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 pm
Vaporwave wrote:
Neph has expressed in a following post that lovely splendid llama will not appear as part of characters :(
Was that in the signup thread?
Post #6 of this thread, for anyone else looking for it.

worcej

#547 Post by worcej » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm
[quote=worcej post_id=90320 time=<a href="tel:1563386221">1563386221</a> user_id=857]
youve said plenty. tell me about vecnas 'far up worcejs ass' townread.
[/quote]Hmmm...

I think Vecna is better at picking up what I am throwing down than you. And that isnt a troll statement.

worcej

#548 Post by worcej » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 pm

Not sure why that quote broke...

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#549 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Incoming grumpy old man post. Please read.

I feel as if mafia has evolved on this site. When I began playing, there were a lot of longwinded, say-nothing type of posts, but among the stacks of long posts thrown on top of each other that nobody actually read or cared about were occasionally good bits that town could take advantage of. In this thread, and in other more recent games, it seems like the vast majority of posts are people quoting someone that somebody else said and then adding their one or two lines of input on top of it. It's not totally a bad thing. The posts that matter are a lot easier to find because I can just gloss over all the banter and actually stop at something that is, oh, I don't know, more than a long tweet in length. But it isn't great to be missing out on so much information. If those who are participating in these back-and-forth conversations are gaining something from it, the rest of us need to know somehow. Hopefully if I have to play catch up I'll be catching up on theories and cases, or coherent plans to get to theories and cases, instead of one-off conversations that make no sense to anyone but the poster themselves.

Given this, I have not come across all that many posts that fit my unnecessarily pedantic criteria for what I care to read, so there isn't very much to say.

Here's a list of things I think so far:

Mass claim: wtf no
Lynch lurkers: maybe
Discuss randomness of setup: yes

Mass claiming is beyond stupid. Besides the fact that this setup has a pretty clear mechanism to prevent it from being successful and that drawing out our PRs before the turns that they can actually use their powers have come is not a good thing, it's just not fun. I'm not here to solve a math problem; I want to play the game.

Lynching lurkers might be a smart plan, but it needs to be done cohesively. A smart mafia player in a setup like this one is probably burying themselves in the muck right now. The worst thing that they can do for themselves is draw undue attention their way, which is why, for example, I think bozo is probably town even though he's the one that keeps proposing stupid things. There should be less attention focused on those who are coming up with ideas and trying to direct traffic, so to speak, and more attention focused on those who are either not posting at all, doing what I did last night and posting just to get something down on paper, or simply following in the tracks of others who are laying bricks for them. Personally, I find the latter is the easiest way to track down lurking scum, because eventually playing by either of the former will stand out even if it doesn't on day 1. When I reread day 1, that's something I plan to look for.

This setup is clearly not randomly drawn. Someone pointed this out earlier and it got swept away in a wave of spam. That implies to me that this setup is drawn for the optimal gameplay. I don't like gaming the GMs, but they've brought this one on themselves. If we can deduce the most likely town and mafia combinations of roles, we can start to narrow down the number of fake claims that the mafia team can employ. It might not work until we have dead players to look at and might not really prove valuable until the later days in the game, but if a pattern emerges one way or another we should aim to be able to recognize it and narrow down this setup.

Percy Williams

#550 Post by Percy Williams » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:18 pm

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:37 pm
But who though? Nothing's been extremely ping-worthy asides from Percy making more grammar mistakes (i.e. random capitalizations) than usual, and bozo's tone, but it's not worth voting for.
I recently heard something from Tom Scott about using capitalization to convey tone in text, so it's partially that and partially editing down capitals to avoid looking like I'm yelling which leaves the first one capital. I'm trying to figure out how best to add emphasis on certain words, and clearly it's not working.

brainbomb

#551 Post by brainbomb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Bo probably makes a good point. He is even more old school than I am. In fact, the old veterans of webdip mafia, myself, bo, chaqa, everyone else is all newer in some respect.

Peterbot and quoting peoples posts have changed a lot of stuff.

Some for the good but also there isnt as much of a conversation anymore.

the closest thing we had as far as a meaningful conversation this game was fox vs worcej

brainbomb

#552 Post by brainbomb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:23 pm

if you read early game it looks like fox immediately caught emc,

and fox didnt take a whole lot of pleasure in it, but rather a duty to call it as he sees. for that reason I would say fox is not only town, but that he did catch a wolf basically instantly.

And I think worcej was unhappy about it

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#553 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:27 pm

I'm not trying to be nostalgic. The "old" way wasn't necessarily better as far as individuals deducing information and solving the game, but it was a heck of a lot better for those who weren't directly involved in those interactions to pick up on what is going on and go back through them later to analyze. I just want us to find a happy medium so that when I to go 12 hours without playing the game and need to read up a little bit, I don't feel like I would get more usefulness out of an askreddit thread.

damo666

#554 Post by damo666 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
damo666 wrote:
Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Oh, but I think we can totally discuss your attempt to setup a bunch of noise in the thread. No response to that accusation?
Fine
You think my accusation is "fine"? Fine as in "well-reasoned" or of otherwise acceptable quality? Or fine as in you grudgingly admit my accusation is correct?
Fine as in 'yes, fine, happy to discuss'.

brainbomb

#555 Post by brainbomb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Jamie is reading up because hes gonna be subbed in for Mike.

worcej

#556 Post by worcej » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:33 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:23 pm

and fox didnt take a whole lot of pleasure in it, but rather a duty to call it as he sees. for that reason I would say fox is not only town, but that he did catch a wolf basically instantly.

I’ve already articulated my issue with Fox, so no point to assume anything random BB

brainbomb

#557 Post by brainbomb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:34 pm

worcej wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:33 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:23 pm

I’ve already articulated my issue with Fox, so no point to assume anything random BB
Im just saying why this all happened if you were scum. you are of course within your rights to argue something entirely different occurred.

brainbomb

#558 Post by brainbomb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:38 pm

You really think that I am the type of player who will just take your word for it worcej? cmon man, when have I ever done that when I think someone is scum?

damo666

#559 Post by damo666 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Percy Williams wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:18 pm
e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:37 pm
But who though? Nothing's been extremely ping-worthy asides from Percy making more grammar mistakes (i.e. random capitalizations) than usual, and bozo's tone, but it's not worth voting for.
I recently heard something from Tom Scott about using capitalization to convey tone in text, so it's partially that and partially editing down capitals to avoid looking like I'm yelling which leaves the first one capital. I'm trying to figure out how best to add emphasis on certain words, and clearly it's not working.
Embolden underline italicise colour ?

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#560 Post by dargorygel » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 pm

I'll be back tomorrow with time...
First, I was trying to be funny, and no one noticed. I was posting with one word. I suppose it says something about what folk expect from me. :-)
It was kind of fun. Mostly it was just reactive posts. I DID have a couple of conversations (accusing Percy Williams of hedging, for instance) that were fun with single words. It actually made me think more about articulation than I am used to...

But in the end it is too hard and not really helpful.

A couple of obvious things to comment on:
Mass claim... while I do think that such a claim MIGHT POSSIBLY help us... mostly the concept has too many faulty underlying beliefs. It assumes a randomness of role that I don't think the GM's would do. It assumes that we will have LOTS of scum making false claims, when there is no reason for them to do so. I think bozo also is assuming (he lists this as a 'pro') that multiple fakeclaiming by lynchable scum is common. I think it happens maybe once or twice per game. So we MIGHT draw out a couple of scum... but mostly, we just give scum a map.

But I am not happy with how hard bozo is pushing for this. He seems to have some hope that he has a chance to succeed. I think bozo is smarter than that. So why does he not back off? Or did I miss a retraction?

Also, regarding D1 voting. I always raise an eyebrow at STRONG statements on D1. People who pretend to KNOW an alignment. Obv, only scum knows alignment.

Lynching lurkers? D1 is almost random voting, or at most, mostly gut feelings. Lurkers are no more or less likely to be scum. Lately, it seems, though that at least one or two scummies hide early in the game. So maybe lynching lurkers increases our odds.

I'll probably be able to read off and on... but won't have time to post much till tomorrow morning.