Mafia 46 - Ace Attorney - GAME THREAD

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

Re: Mafia 46 - Ace Attorney - GAME THREAD

#901 Post by TrPrado » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 am

Time for the most brilliant and glorious reread, it shall seem as though no one else has even reread the game. In this essay I will analyze the game player by player in order of original posting, highlighting posts that stand out, look at how they've responded to questions, and ask lingering questions.

Squigs44:

Cordial greetings from Squigs before he reveals a shtick. He starts quoting people's posts and stating his opening thoughts regarding what it could indicate about their alignment. He makes the following claims, respectively:

1) Fox - town (3)
2) Flavius - slight scum (2)
3) me - slight town (2)
4) Balki - town (5)
5) et - very slight scum (2)
6) dargo - slight town (1)
7) connor - town (1)
8) Carl - slight town (1)
9) Percy - slight town (4)
10) teacon - slight scum (1)
11) Chippe - slight scum (3)
12) Tom - town (2)
13) ND - town (2)
Presuming he townreads himself, he's leaving out 9 players. Two of whom (Durga and rdrivera) he's interacted with without giving indication of how he reads them. The underline vs bold is where he hedges vs where he makes a hard read. He hedges all of his 4 scum reads, one of them even being so bold as to call itself "very slight." I did that my first game (M11) and got torn to shreds for it because of how hedgy it is. It makes him suggesting 5 hard town reads in these posts almost weird.

When Flavius first asks him to explain it, Squigs refuses because it would ruin the fun. I'm inclined to agree, the reactions to it made it pretty fun. But then Flavius asks again and Squigs says:
I leaned many new tactics over on MU for solving. I wanted to try some of them in this game. There is a guy over there who makes reads on the first post of every player in every game and is better than random accurate
Looking back, I have a pretty big problem with this explanation. Namely, Squigs is certainly not doing what he's saying this other guy was doing (indicated in bold. As mentioned above, it's not every player, but in my list I also give a number for which post Squigs uses for each player that he says he uses to determine their alignment. Only 4 players were judged based on their first post. That's not counting the number of posts between the times when they make the post and when Squigs quotes them. So Squigs is being untruthful for some reason, and I'll only accept one possibility here.

Flavius makes a comment about how Squigs reads Foxy as scum, and Squigs very adamantly calls Flavius out as a liar (lol), and when Flavius says it was just a mistake Squigs calls it a lie whether or not there was ill intent. He calls Flavius out for being defensive, but when Carl suggests that he should vote for him for that reason Squigs says
I tend to use my vote early for pressure or to make a point. I think Flav already has enough pressure. Besides, his greatest crimes right now are being defensive and lying. Townies are defensive and lie all the time. What you have to do is look at why Flav lied and why he is being defensive.
but he goes on to say he considers Flav his strongest scumread still.

He also calls out Flav for having 7 scum in his reads list, but with time to reflect since there are 6 people on the scum team I really don't think 7 is necessarily a stretch for a reads list. Squigs is blowing a lot of Flav's posts way out of proportion, and I don't like it.

Gets in a fight with teacon but seems pretty inconsequential except for this line
So I have had a recent shift in opinion on meta, to use it more lightly and look more at people's motivations than their actions. It is still useful in some scenarios, and is unavoidable to unconsciously include in your judgement, but I would say here on webDip we use meta a little too much.
Gets back into a fight with Carl about voting vs not voting. When I get in a fight with teacon, Squigs says I'm getting caught up on "two or three joke posts" and asks how I feel about his "lot of other posts and stances" which is the question I've been meaning to come back to. But the problem is that I'd say the question is based on a mischaracterization of teacon's posts. He presumes teacon to have substance to him because of his own conversation with him, but their argument seems very sudden and almost fabricated.

Tells Durga he's not defending Flavius, joins in on the Roast of Chippe, continues fighting against Carl now over Squigs attacking Flavius over the number of scum in his list. Votes for Chippe for not being clear and "post[ing] without scumhunting" which causes Carl to vote for Squigs which causes Tom to call Carl scummy. Squigs says
If I explained my vote now it would lose its purpose. Remind me later and I will explain.
Percy quotes Squigs criticizing Flavius for his number of scumreads and asks how many scumreads Squigs handed out. The answer is 4. Squigs said he thinks he missed a couple people and would "do them real quick and give [Percy] a breakdown" but he never did. I had to do it myself by hand.

Carl and Percy say that Squigs giving his gut reads is the same as Flavius doing his list, but Squigs says it's different because his gut reads aren't meant to influence the rest of the game and instead are just a "fun exercise" whereas Flavius gave criteria. Then in the middle of this conversation stops to give his last gut read, the one on ND.

Squigs leaves for a while and comes back and unvotes because now he thinks Chippe believes what he's saying. He cites the number of votes on Chippe when he jumps off then gives a half-hearted plea for others to do the same. Then he threatens Chippe that he'll vote for him anyway.
Yes, I am being quite vicious towards Flav... by witholding my vote? And yes, I am only jumping on bandwagons... except that I have only placed one vote - on you - with reasoning given - and as the second voter.
I would be fine with a Flav lynch at this point in the game, but there are still lots of other people who I still need to read and analyze and question. We still have people who haven't posted in the game yet.
Leaves for the night, comes back, votes Tom because "His play is so awfully awk right now. His posts aren't actually moving discussion at all. Town Tom is much better than this." To which I'd like to draw everyone's attention back to the earlier line
So I have had a recent shift in opinion on meta, to use it more lightly and look more at people's motivations than their actions. It is still useful in some scenarios, and is unavoidable to unconsciously include in your judgement, but I would say here on webDip we use meta a little too much.
Leaves for a couple hours, comes back, says he'll get to questions in about half an hour, leaves for another hour still not back. (I wrote this last part before he returned obviously.)

This man is full of lies, vitriol, hypocrisy, and unfulfilled promises.

QUESTIONS:

Why did you not cover everyone in your gut reads?
Why is 7 players so unrealistic in a reads list for a game with a 6 person scum team?
Why were you inconsistent about the hedgy nature of these reads?
When you said you wanted to move away from meta, do you still agree?

Foxcastle:

Yowza! I'm hoping this one isn't as long as the Squigs one. Opens by pointing out that et and Carl are creeping on the thread without posting, then says he doesn't want a joke phase. Though, he's not particularly serious until like page 4, about 10 posts (of his own) into the game. When connor says the Squigs method is insane, Foxy seems taken aback that connor might think he's targeting Squigs. Continues joking again until page 8 where he says he "strongly disagrees" with my assessment of lists. Jokes again, then disappears for several hours.

Says we shouldn't be derailed by the Chippe claim. Now that he's back (page 29) he's starting to really participate. He calls out lurkers, he questions Squigs about his method behind the gut reads. He asks why ND and Durga aren't fighting, says he's being cautious about reading Flavius. But he is suspicious of Percy. This suspicion is the only real suspicion he has so far, everything else he's suggested have been policy lynches of lurkers or of Chippe.

Foxy seems to be shotgunning in terms of attention. He's asking around, trying ask questions of and discuss with a large group of people.

QUESTIONS:

Who do you think might be on the scum team and why?

et:

Pretty barren in terms of posts, but that should probably be expected from someone who hasn't played before. A few quick joke interactions to start the game, including suggesting a discussion with Balki about the Jailer role. Mentions he's new, says his werewolf game never really had fake claims (lucky bastard) and says he's not used to reading games on here.

Several hours later asks why people are voting since they didn't explain themselves (bozo for Chippe and Tom and Carl for me). Asks Carl about his (then unexplained) baseball analogy, and asks Chippe to play the game instead of continuing the VT debate. Defends Percy from Foxy and says part of why he didn't understand Tom voting was because of how early it was.
If that is unchangeable vote, I will vote damo or Cru.
Because if we don't lynch player without comment, scums can hide very easily.
What they have to do is just keeping silence.

If changeable one, I will vote Nep. Because Nep seemed to catch up this thread, but not to be so active. So, I want to see reaction.
I thought boz, but I wonder boz react me. So, I think Nep is better.
They're changeable.

QUESTIONS:

So do you think Nep is scum?
Who else do you think might be?
Why do you come to so many people's defense?
Why are lurkers higher priority in terms of lynching?

Balki Bartokomous:

Really insane number of posts, and I'm not excited. Said he'd leave about an hour after game start. Considers Flavius defensive and suspicous, so he votes for him. Suggests it's too quiet since he's ALLEGEDLY about to leave. But when the hour dawns he's STILL HERE. This is strike one :x

He interacts more with Flavius, asks whether they've played together (referencing the comment that Balki is smart and experienced), asks how the inspiration of the Squigs method relates to him, asks for an explanation of the list. Pushing him the way you do a scumread. Goes on to also scumread teacon as someone who seems like they're trying to be pleasing. Brings the conversation back to the Flavius list. Asks around a few questions. Some stuff kinda weird like
What do you mean by "the main thing..." ? The main thing of what? The main reason to scumread him? Something else?
In context what was meant was obvious, so what's the point of asking?

Asks if Durga knows what the scum roles are since she seems unsure whether or not there's a day chat. Strongly defends Chippe saying there's no way a scum would do this. Suggests that he thinks Durga is scum because her posts are "safe" but with the interaction about day chat I think it should be more realistic to draw the opposite conclusion.

Calls teacon smarmy and lays out a whole case around it. Keeps pushing Flavius about the "smart and experienced" comment like 30 pages later. The explanation Flavius gives actually makes sense, on reread Balki claims to have a lot of experience early on and someone referred to him as clever, so that seems pretty blown out of proportion. Changes his mind on Durga and says she's towny and reiterates his push against Flavius. So he's static on Flavius across the game and on Durga his read feels... unnatural?

Says he thinks Carl's argument against me is strong but Flav's push against me makes him think I may not really be scummy. He then asks Cruaader to vote one way or the other and pushes against Chippe for presuming Cruaader is a towny. He debates a couple people about the semantics of it but I think his point of trying to make a clear differentiation between taking someone as town as a given vs reading them as town is a strong enough one.

He then shifts his focus squarely on teacon for being "smarmy."
smarmy adjective
\ ˈsmär-mē \
smarmier; smarmiest
Definition of smarmy
1 : revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness
a tone of smarmy self-satisfaction
— New Yorker
2 : of low sleazy taste or quality
smarmy eroticism
He suggests it's alignment indicative because he's asking questions more from a place of being welcoming and not to get to the heart of any real issue. Which is also a strong point, especially given the array of posts Balki uses as evidence. He then goes back to ask about how people feel about Flavius.

QUESTIONS:

Why did you scum read Durga after the day chat conversation?
What was the point in asking what "the main thing" meant?

TrPrado:

Unbelievably smart and handsome towny.

QUESTIONS:

How did you get so cool?

FlaviusAetius:

So, this is the one where I've gotta throw out my preconceived notions a bit because I've interacted with him a decent bit myself already. He's been tunneling pretty hard, but you can do that as any alignment. I've brought him up earlier in this post in the context of Squigs and Balki taking his posts and blowing them up out of proportion.

So at the open of the game he mentions he just pulled off a "legendary" senior prank and should have more time on his hands. He agrees with Foxy about how there shouldn't be a joke phase before explaining to everyone what the senior prank was. From this point he seems to take the "no joke phase" shtick a LOT more seriously than Foxy did. He gets upset with Squigs about the gut reads, specifically himself as slight scum "Why? Because I want to solve the game?" and myself as slight town "Explanations, please??
Like you are saying the EXACT opposite of what Im thinking...
And TrPrado just voting like that is clearly just making fun of it"

Also yes me making fun of it was absolutely the point. HOWEVER Flavius makes the claim
I think it was TrPrado who said Foxcastle was scum for wanting to solve the game.
I voted for Foxy but never said I thought he was scum. Either way, Flavius starts scum reading me and that's been pretty much his guiding light all day.

Flavius claims Squigs thought Fox lied, and Squigs called Flav a liar to which Flavius very emphatically said "MISTAKES DO NOT EQUAL LIES." Flavius says he doesn't think Squigs giving his gut reads doesn't make sense so instead he'll "just be better" which I think was the point of him making his list. He gets pretty hung up on Squigs and Balki scum reading him and then
Squigs-Town
Foxcastle-Town
Balki-Mafia
TrPardo-M​afia
Connor-Town
Percy-Mafia
darg-Town
Carl Tuckerson-Mafia
et-Mafia
Moscow-Mafia
Nepthys-Ma​fia
He then gets a lot of questions about it, says he had criteria, gets MORE questions because he didn't explain his criteria then either then says
My criteria were
1) Not engaged in the game(aka neph saying 'hi')
2) Commenting but not providing anything(aka, balki)
When I ask him why he made the list at all he said it was because of the Squigs method. Here's the thing. These two things were fundamentally different. Squigs was like at least half bullshitting. But this list seems more earnest and trying to be a lot more than what Squigs was actually wanting to do. I also don't get the criteria because in the first two hours of the game that would make really everyone Mafia no matter what. Flavius has unrealistically high standards here.

When Balki suggests that Flavius is obsessed with "Squigs's dude" Flavius agrees. The problem here is that Flavius is taking what Squigs said at face value. This "dude" could be fake to try and lend credence to the gut reads, or he may have made it up as a joke, or his method could be different from what he saw. So this isn't the best thing for Flavius to get hung up on. He thinks Balki isn't participating and calls him scum for calling me confident and attentive and town for voting for Foxy.

He comes back 20 hours later, votes for me and suggests he'll "probably end up changing!" He starts defending some of his play that he hasn't had the opportunity to defend yet. Me calling the list unhelpful, him saying Balki shouldn't just be asking questions. Mentions his continued obsession with "Squigs's dude"

He's making a big kerfuffle out of early posts from Balki and myself, and then uses a brief argument between me and Carl to justify saying Carl is a teammate of mine because I was accused of "coaching" Carl.

He says he doesn't believe Squigs who said that his vote would lose its purpose if he explained it then.
This was EXACTLY what I tried to do as mafia on the first game I played here
Also it wasnt my first game, Ive played live games before, I was just pointing out what I did as scum
Says he wants answers from me but he only asked me questions when I asked what they were. Generally tried to avoid the Chippe VT debate but chimes in that he has to be town because he's pointing to lurker bozo. Actually his first mention of Chippe was defending Squigs by pointing out he was the one who started the Chippe wagon and therefore couldn't be settling for easy wagons.
You two dont even realize though that Squig is doing it because its helpful...
What else are you going to do on Day 1??
You are purposefully ignoring the fact of Squig's dude that came up with this idea
Either both of you didnt read the game or you are lying
Man, I was hoping I could come to his defense more but he still honestly doesn't look great.

QUESTIONS:

Why did you take "Squigs's dude" at face value?
Why did you expect town to be able to meet your criteria two hours into the game?
Why have your reads on me and Balki been so static?
Have any reads changed for you?
What was your first game on the site and what was your alignment?
Why are you so defensive of Squigs's every action?
Why did you accuse me of lying about not wanting Squigs to explain about "his dude" who wasn't even mentioned at the time?
Why did you think me "forgetting" about Squigs's dude was convenient?
In the response "We are asking for gutreads right off the bat, you went directly against that idea, also I did provide criteria to my list, aka an explination" who is "we"?

damo666

#902 Post by damo666 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:20 am

Percy Williams wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:07 am
xorxes wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:36 pm
Percy Williams wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 pm

I believe he either
1.believes he can prove he is VT,
2. is Town Pr trying to Make Scum believe he is VT (which depending on his role could make one other player inclined to promote that image)
3.or is the Blind assasin, trying to keep everyone off his case.
No chance he is scum fishing for town PRs? Any reason you are sure of that?
Approximately what I had written:
A lot of people were angry with chipperock before the game even started, and even without knowing the history or any details, I can tell that some players would be glad of any excuse to lynch him.It would be almost suicidal to do as Scum. Unless he is a master of Wifom, I just find this play as scum to be extremely unlikely.
So you think that because of his history he wouldn't do that if he were scum. I think ANYTHING is possible with Chips!

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#903 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:21 am

I'm not going to be as detailed with my iso of Durga because she has more posts so I can't go through them all one by one, and because I townread Durga.

The main take away I have from Durga is that she is playing with emotion. She seems genuine in her views and each of her posts seems to have a purpose or clear stance. As scum she finds it difficult to solve, but I don't see that frustration here, she is putting in some decent solving. Her opinions and progression wrt Flav and Chippe match my own and seem natural.

@Durga - Thoughts on Tom and Xorxes?

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#904 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:15 am
Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 am
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am
@Squigs, I have the same impression of Tom’s play. Just not sure what conclusion to draw. I feel like Scum!Tom is pretty engaged and more thoughtful than this too.

If you think Tom is scum, why do you think he is acting this way? Do you think he is trying to look engaged but is failing? Something else?
I have never actually seen Tom as scum, he has only drawn scum once on the site. I have seen him play Town though, and what I expect from town Tom is what I put in my conclusion there - an engaged solving Tom.
Scum Tom would act this way because he knows he has to post but can't come up with the same level of solving that he would if he were town. This is Tom Bombadil we are talking about - the man, the myth, the legend. The guy who fake claimed two correct cop songs. They still sing songs about him.
You and I have very different views on how scum behave d1
Care to elaborate on how scum behave d1? You haven't elaborated on anything all game unless you are prodded, which is a huge reason I scum read you.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#905 Post by TrPrado » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:23 am

I'm exhausted

ND

#906 Post by ND » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 am

Jesus Christ save me. I just read so much new pages popping up never thought I would get here. Lord have mercy on me. Now I got to type a god damn fucking blog geez.

Durga

#907 Post by Durga » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 am

holy shit i've never seen trprado ever put that much effort into anything. he has to be town

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#908 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 am
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:15 am
Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 am

I have never actually seen Tom as scum, he has only drawn scum once on the site. I have seen him play Town though, and what I expect from town Tom is what I put in my conclusion there - an engaged solving Tom.
Scum Tom would act this way because he knows he has to post but can't come up with the same level of solving that he would if he were town. This is Tom Bombadil we are talking about - the man, the myth, the legend. The guy who fake claimed two correct cop songs. They still sing songs about him.
You and I have very different views on how scum behave d1
Care to elaborate on how scum behave d1? You haven't elaborated on anything all game unless you are prodded, which is a huge reason I scum read you.
Not right now. I’m not going to yell scum what I’m looking for. That would be pretty dumb, no?

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#909 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:29 am

I will certainly post reads though. And explain why I think how I do when I do so.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#910 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:30 am

Gotta read that wall now

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#911 Post by TrPrado » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:31 am

Durga wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 am
holy shit i've never seen trprado ever put that much effort into anything. he has to be town
The worst part is that it's only part 1.

ND

#912 Post by ND » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:32 am

TrPrado wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:31 am
Durga wrote:
Oh god

Percy Williams

#913 Post by Percy Williams » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:32 am

TrPrado wrote:
Durga wrote:
@TrPrado, are you going to answer the question directed to you in that large post wall?

Percy Williams

#914 Post by Percy Williams » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:33 am

TrPrado wrote:
Durga wrote:
How much are the DLCs?

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#915 Post by TrPrado » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:35 am

Percy Williams wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:32 am
TrPrado wrote:
Durga wrote:
@TrPrado, are you going to answer the question directed to you in that large post wall?
I'll be the one asking questions here. Also which question?

Durga

#916 Post by Durga » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:36 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:21 am
I'm not going to be as detailed with my iso of Durga because she has more posts so I can't go through them all one by one, and because I townread Durga.

The main take away I have from Durga is that she is playing with emotion. She seems genuine in her views and each of her posts seems to have a purpose or clear stance. As scum she finds it difficult to solve, but I don't see that frustration here, she is putting in some decent solving. Her opinions and progression wrt Flav and Chippe match my own and seem natural.

I'm leaning town on Tom I think. Xorx is mia

damo666

#917 Post by damo666 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:37 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:21 am

What?

ChippeRock

#918 Post by ChippeRock » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:50 am

Okay, I've analyzed MoscowFleet's first day for all of his previous Mafia games on this site (excluding M43 - where he was replaced during D1 - and M39 - where he made no posts and was modkilled):

M1007 (he's scum): Makes 23 game posts (not excluding joke posts), but all of his posts are relatively short (none of them exceeding a paragraph in length), and he provides no super in depth analysis' of other players. He switches his vote multiple times, before last minute jumping onto damo's (who was fellow scum) wagon - who was the inevitable lynch at the time.

M45 (he's VT): Makes 13 game posts (not excluding joke posts), all of which are very short, and he provides no real input for town. He jumps onto 1 wagon early on, and sticks with it - at the end of the day, he's the only one on that wagon.

M44 (he's VT): Makes 12 game posts (not excluding joke posts), most of his posts are only a sentence long, but he does make a post that is moderately long. He switches wagons multiple times, including two in the last 5 minutes: where he jumps onto Ike's wagon, than jumps on damo's wagon (who ends up being the overwhelming lynch).

M42 (he's scum): Makes 29 game posts (not excluding joke posts), the majority of which are at least a paragraph long (with several exceeding that), and he provides a lot of input for town. He changes his vote 3 times, but none were last minute. His final vote for the day (which was made over 17 hours before the day end) ended up being a part of the wagon that lynched a VT (though that wagon doubled in size as a result of multiple vote changes in the last half hour - before that).

Please note I've defined a paragraph as roughly 4-5 sentences.

In my opinion, lynching Moscow for lurking because that's what he did last game is ridiculous. During NONE of his previous games has he lurked to this degree! In fact, it seems he makes more posts as scum than town during Day 1! Now, this does not rule out Moscow is scum - no, not at all. But his behavior in previous games can't be used to read him this game, because he has never lurked to this degree - scum or townie. Hopefully though, he stops lurking and starts communicating with the rest of us though.

ChippeRock

#919 Post by ChippeRock » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:59 am

@ND, you appear to be subtly lurking. All of your posts are either bitching or 1-2 sentence comments that provide nothing to the game. You've clearly read up to at least page 22 (or at least you claim to have) and yet you have no opinions or reads to provide us with.

Please give us some in-depth reads and thoughts on everyone & their posts, because right now, you're a really underrated wagon in my opinion.

Nephthys

#920 Post by Nephthys » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 am

Did Flav win his last game?