Mafia 46 - Ace Attorney - GAME THREAD

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
teacon7

Re: Mafia 46 - Ace Attorney - GAME THREAD

#801 Post by teacon7 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 pm

@balki - Great. I appreciate the questions. If you don't want to wait, check out m1007.

Percy Williams

#802 Post by Percy Williams » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 pm

xorxes wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:17 pm
Percy Williams wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:13 pm
bozotheclown wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:34 pm
In my opinion, ChippeRock has either violated a game rule or is mafia. Since the GM says he has not broken any rules, he must be mafia.
Whythough? Please Explain how chippe seems scummy.
Percy, do you think Chippe sincerely believes he can proove he is a VT, do you think he was reaction testing, something else?
I believe he either
1.believes he can prove he is VT,
2. is Town Pr trying to Make Scum believe he is VT (which depending on his role could make one other player inclined to promote that image)
3.or is the Blind assasin, trying to keep everyone off his case.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#803 Post by TrPrado » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:25 pm

SQUIGS:

Regarding your method of determining town or scum in a single post, please explain very calmly and in detail about your method and what you sought to accomplish with it. I know you explained some element of it before, but could you give a more, let's say, forthright answer?

teacon7

#804 Post by teacon7 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 pm

@percy
@connor

You've both mentioned the blind assassin. What's the worth of trying to figure out who that is right now? Seems to me like there'd be really little to go on, as 3rd party psych would play pretty conservative early on so as to survive to the late game.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#805 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:28 pm

And let me expand a bit more on my views on teacon. This quote left a serious impression:
teacon7 wrote:@bozo - what do you think of a lurker policy? Would you lynch moscow with us?
It is a question that seems to reflect a desire to look solvey, more than an intention to solve. Somebody else identified Bozo and Moscow as the two lurkers so far. And so teacon asks Bozo what he thinks of the lurker policy, like it's some kind of riddle where you have to ask the guy who always lies "what would the other guy say" about the guy who always tells the truth to avoid walking down the path with the tiger at the end. Anyone know the reference here? It's somewhere deep in my memory files.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what Bozo thinks of a lynch the lurker policy. The answer is not illuminating and I cannot imagine that teacon cares about the answer to that question, but I feel like the question is posed as a sort of performance art. "Look at me! I'm asking a clever question! I'm town guys! Guys! I'm town guys!"

EspressoPatronum

#806 Post by EspressoPatronum » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:58 pm
Teacon Is Smarmy, a Symposium

#teaconissmary
#smarmyteacon

I. Examples of Teacon Being Smarmy

Here are some examples of teacon being smarmy:
teacon7 wrote:Seriously though, what do you have against joke phases?
teacon7 wrote:@balki where have you been? Why are you and squigs both doing gut-reaction "pings" ?
teacon7 wrote:@Nephthys
Do you like joke phases? Why?
Do you always play like this?
Do you prefer playing scum or town?
teacon7 wrote:@CruaaderReynauld
@Carl Tuckerson
@ChippeRock

• If so, do you you prefer to play as mafia or town?
• Are you secretly a Balki clone, because he's a lot of C-words?
teacon7 wrote:It was funny. You don't think funny is good?
teacon7 wrote:@Prado - Please define "productive start to the game" ...what would you like to see?
teacon7 wrote:How do you think the game gets started without any information?
teacon7 wrote:@balki why not call me out by name? I was the one who said "town morale".
teacon7 wrote:@bozo - what do you think of a lurker policy? Would you lynch moscow with us?
II. Smarminess Is Scum-Indicative

I find these questions to be smarmy. In other words, false earnestness. Ingratiating and insincere. I don't think teacon cares about the answers to these questions. I think he is just asking questions in sort of a welcoming, inclusive, manufactured sort of way.

He is not digging in to solve a puzzle. He has no vector. He is pretending. It is a false engagement designed to blend in and ingratiate himself to others, while showing no interest in answers or progress towards any goal other than to blend.

III. Conclusion

Teacon is being smarmy because he is scum.
Interesting points, but I don't agree bcz I think his play is consistent with last game.

Can you look at his D1 posts of m1007 and tell me if his posts there are smarmy?

xorxes

#807 Post by xorxes » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:14 pm
teacon7 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:11 pm
Yeah so a question like "do you like joke phases" is a conversation opener. In context (something you don't get if you're doing isos d1 :ahem:), we were all discussing the worth of joke phases. Asking "do you like" is a vague enough opener that it gives someone room to trip themselves up, rather than asking leading questions like: "do you think joke phases generate information?"

Does everyone have to hunt the same way you do?

[That's a rhetorical question balki, the answer is no.]
@teacon meta experts -- I'd be interested in your thoughts about whether teacon is smarmy like this as Town!Teacon.
I'm not an expert, but I spent almost the whole of last game scumreading him when he was town, so I'm standing back for a bit. Smarmy sounds about right. His famous meta as scum was extreme lurkiness (he spent a whole game as scum where all he posted was that he had little time because he was looking for a replacement teacher for his school). I don't doubt he would try to change that meta if he was scum, so I don't put much weight on that.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#808 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:56 pm
ChippeRock wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:49 pm
It is much, much, much, much x 100000 better if he just votes for his best guess, even if he doesn't have much confidence in it, even if he hasn't read/analyzed the whole game.
I mean, he should of known what he was signing up into. Since he's a new player, I really don't think his vote would be super helpful to town one way or another since he's more likely to lynch someone that everybody else is all worked up about lynching - he's most likely going to exhibit herding behavior when making his vote. That does nothing for town - about as much as a No-Lynch does.
So...in this post, ChippeRock assumes that CruaaderReynauld is Town.
@Xorxes, would you please comment on this post, and the aftermath?

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#809 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Just got off work, will get to questions within the next half hour hopefully

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#810 Post by Tom Bombadil » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
xorxes wrote:
bozotheclown wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:55 pm

If ChippeRock is a VT, he has broken the rule on gaming the role PMs. Since the GM said he has not broken any rules, I have to assume he is not a VT. I suppose he could be a town PR, but I seriously doubt that.
If the evidence suggests he is not a VT, then the proper way to deal with it is to wait and see what happens.

I still have no idea what Chippe was doing, his explanations make no sense, people who claim they get what he was doing but won't explain also make no sense (teacon and I think Squigs, but I have to reread the whole thing). People who townread him because "why would scum do something like that?" also make little sense.
Speak of the Devil and he appears!

Glad to know you can be summoned.

Are you intentionally trying to cast suspicion on forces here Balki? Cuz it seems like you are trying to indirectly cast suspicion which is not the direct townie Balki that I know

xorxes

#811 Post by xorxes » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Percy Williams wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 pm
xorxes wrote:
Percy Williams wrote:

Whythough? Please Explain how chippe seems scummy.
Percy, do you think Chippe sincerely believes he can proove he is a VT, do you think he was reaction testing, something else?
I believe he either
1.believes he can prove he is VT,
2. is Town Pr trying to Make Scum believe he is VT (which depending on his role could make one other player inclined to promote that image)
3.or is the Blind assasin, trying to keep everyone off his case.
No chance he is scum fishing for town PRs? Any reason you are sure of that?

teacon7

#812 Post by teacon7 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm

@xorx - tbf that lurking excuse was real. And really stressful. It just so happened to work really well for me as scum in m22.

@balki - You're reading a lot into an opener. Did bozo answer my question and I missed it?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#813 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 pm
Are you intentionally trying to cast suspicion on forces here Balki? Cuz it seems like you are trying to indirectly cast suspicion which is not the direct townie Balki that I know
Maybe a little. But mostly reserving judgment on Xorxes until he starts playing.

xorxes

#814 Post by xorxes » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:40 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:31 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:56 pm
ChippeRock wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm

I mean, he should of known what he was signing up into. Since he's a new player, I really don't think his vote would be super helpful to town one way or another since he's more likely to lynch someone that everybody else is all worked up about lynching - he's most likely going to exhibit herding behavior when making his vote. That does nothing for town - about as much as a No-Lynch does.
So...in this post, ChippeRock assumes that CruaaderReynauld is Town.
@Xorxes, would you please comment on this post, and the aftermath?
I thought the same thing you did when I read it.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#815 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:41 pm

xorxes wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:36 pm
No chance he is scum fishing for town PRs? Any reason you are sure of that?
Have you ever seen scum do that so blatantly? I don't think this is a real thing.

bozotheclown

#816 Post by bozotheclown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 pm

xorxes wrote:
bozotheclown wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:55 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:46 pm

I see that it is your opinion that he has broken the rules or is mafia, but you haven't explained why. GM says he has not broken a rule, why does that make him mafia? Explain please.
If ChippeRock is a VT, he has broken the rule on gaming the role PMs. Since the GM said he has not broken any rules, I have to assume he is not a VT. I suppose he could be a town PR, but I seriously doubt that.
If the evidence suggests he is not a VT, then the proper way to deal with it is to wait and see what happens.

I still have no idea what Chippe was doing, his explanations make no sense, people who claim they get what he was doing but won't explain also make no sense (teacon and I think Squigs, but I have to reread the whole thing). People who townread him because "why would scum do something like that?" also make little sense.
Wait for what to happen? I think it is much more likely he is scum that a town PR, so my preference is to lynch him today.

Jamiet99uk

#817 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 pm

##GM NOTE##

Please be aware that "abstaining" from voting is not permitted. You may vote "No Lynch" but you may not simply refrain from having a vote at the end of the day.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#818 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 pm

teacon7 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm
@balki - You're reading a lot into an opener. Did bozo answer my question and I missed it?
What's "an opener"? And, I don't know, did you actually care what bozo's thoughts are on a "lynch the lurker" policy?

teacon7

#819 Post by teacon7 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:45 pm

He's online.

@bozo - did you answer my questions from before?
"what do you think of lynching a lurker on policy? would you lynch moscow today?
"

EspressoPatronum

#820 Post by EspressoPatronum » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 pm
teacon7 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm
What's "an opener"? And, I don't know, did you actually care what bozo's thoughts are on a "lynch the lurker" policy?
Policy lynching was a big/contentious question in m1007 D1. teacon asked a lot of people direct questions about their stance on policy lynches. Whether or not he cared, it's consistent with town!teacon