M1007 — "Mafia, She Wrote" Game Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Vaporwave

Re: M1007 — "Mafia, She Wrote" Game Thread

#521 Post by Vaporwave » Fri May 17, 2019 6:37 pm

teacon sure looks like a town teacher, if he ain't scum, he's the new Vecna, Tom Bombadil and Neph

we need people like him that encourages talk, I'm digging his style however I'm not yet giving him the town sticker

that is solely reserved for rivera, he's my most certain townlean this phase

hooray lambada

Vaporwave

#522 Post by Vaporwave » Fri May 17, 2019 6:42 pm

times have changed...

we let bozo stay for another day
Espresso feels like purity incarnate (thanks Durga for letting us know he's incredibly smart), everyone can clearly see Espresso's self-control when ND tries to get under his skin, he's calculated, generous and acceptable
Moscow - not my town, place him in 'to be sorted' pile
ND - I hated his early shenanigans, but now he's more normal and I want for him to continue this way
rivera
teacon - I expect from him what I wanted to expect from xorxes
Vashta - this needs more pop-ins
xorxes - downgrade, no longer liking him as town, he faded too much

preparing the noose for these candidates:
damo
e.m.c
Percy

Vaporwave

#523 Post by Vaporwave » Fri May 17, 2019 6:44 pm

as much as I suspect e.m.c, I want for him to be copped (I'll do it myself if I'm a cop :smirk: )

but this needs to be stated openly, I THINK E.M.C has randed scum :o

how sure I am of this? Not that much given that I keep pressing for a Percival lynch

Durga

#524 Post by Durga » Fri May 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Another thing to note about EP is that he's genuinely a very nice person so it's not necessary that he's being calculating when he's doing shit like entertaining ND. But yes, don't trust him because he's new and sounds smart. I'm willing to say he's pretty townie for now though.

Foxcastle

#525 Post by Foxcastle » Fri May 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Vote Count 1.3

ND (4) — damo666, EspressoPatronum, Durga, VashtaNeurotic
damo666 (3) — bozotheclown, rdrivera2005, xorxes
Percy Williams (2) — Vaporwave, teacon7
Vaporwave (1) — MoscowFleet
Durga (1) — Percy Williams
EspressoPatronum (1) — ND

ND is set to be lynched!

e.m.c^42 must vote.

2 hours and 45 minutes remain in the phase.

teacon7

#526 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 pm

@vapor - thanks for the kind words. but be careful not to let anyone buddy you. for all you know, I could be scum and sheeping you for towncred, or (longshot that I don't believe) you could be scum with really gutsy play. just... be careful.

@moscow - why vapor?

@percy - iirc you had issues that caused low-involvement GMing last game, right? what's going on and where are you?

teacon7

#527 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Durga wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:55 pm
Another thing to note about EP is that he's genuinely a very nice person so it's not necessary that he's being calculating when he's doing shit like entertaining ND. But yes, don't trust him because he's new and sounds smart. I'm willing to say he's pretty townie for now though.
why is he pretty right now?

teacon7

#528 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:22 pm

teacon7 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 pm
Durga wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:55 pm
why is he pretty right now?
:lol: pretty townie, that is

VashtaNeurotic

#529 Post by VashtaNeurotic » Fri May 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Yeah so NDs contuation of the day is to pretty much only engage with people voting him...and only scumreading those people. Which I get why you suspect those people but ONLY those people, come on. If he gives more thoughts on the people who aren't voting him then maybe I could change my read of him, but atm I see no reason to swap off.

Also, I agree with teacon on emc's post and interpreted it the way he did. I don't see his reaction as scum indicative at all (in fact it was a pretty townie remark to try and help make emc's posts more clear to him).

Also someone said that Durga wasn't being confrontational enough (I think it was rdr) and that's just lol.

Percy's reaction to Durga saying that mafia would love ND's style if he was town was...weird..really weird and makes me want to reread him.

Also re:damo it's not about verbiosity for the sake of verbiosity, reads are fine (and good to have public) but more reasoning behind them is always better. I'm not sure if that conflicts with your views but I do think your posts need a bit more meat on the bones.

teacon7

#530 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:25 pm

EspressoPatronum wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:10 pm
Her aggressive town play: lots of interrogation, call-outs on faulty logic, and arguments with conviction. Always participates in discussion.

Strong maf play: good at fanning the fire when the town is confused. Very good at manipulating and buddying with ppl w/o them noticing.
These are the kinds of things I like to know.

IME she's not as verbose here as others. (It's hard to compete with brainbomb/jaimet/nd-this-game post volume, but still.)

Is she more talkative as town or scum, or is it a wash?

has she buddied anyone in this game that you're aware of?

What are the odds of durga-ND scum theatre?

VashtaNeurotic

#531 Post by VashtaNeurotic » Fri May 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Side Note, kind of liking Vapor right now and how he's itemizing his reads and trends in the game.

Durga

#532 Post by Durga » Fri May 17, 2019 7:29 pm

VashtaNeurotic wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:25 pm
Side Note, kind of liking Vapor right now and how he's itemizing his reads and trends in the game.
Actually same

teacon7

#533 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:42 pm

EspressoPatronum wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:07 pm
For the playstyles worth lynching, see my response to rdr around page 10-15 (sorry I can't check easily - I'm on mobile now). Tl;dr: players who are not being useful are worth lynching over players who are not.
EspressoPatronum wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:14 pm
teacon7 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:05 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:53 pm
I don't know, information lynch is a bit vague. I don't think we should aim for "informational lynch", just aim for who we think are scum and later we get information looking wagons, votes, etc.
I agree with you. Mine is a thought experiment. With so little to go on, D1 often gets decided by... unreasonable methods. We don't have to lynch this guy, but I'm asking your opinion on: Whose flip will provide the best information?
Quoting this for the "unreasonable methods" bit. This is kind of what I was getting at on post #491. We don't have a lot to go on D1, so we have to rely on perceived usefulness of playstyles and such.
ND wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:56 pm
EspressoPatronum wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:51 pm
We have very little information right now about player alignment beyond playstyle, voting patterns, and gut feelings (neither of which are very detailed on D1). There's been some discussion on past play, but that's fairly new to me as a non-forum player. Most of the meta talks in person come out after a few days.
Imo, it's perfectly valid to lynch someone on D1 because their playstyle.
/Totally a scum indicative statement well the last bit about Lynch play style. He doesnt care about content or analysis of anything just appearance and another example of someone who made up their mind uses no deduction and doesn't give af about the game/.
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:23 pm
And I am answering that I think we can't know beforehand which flip will provide best info. The most info is A) lynching a scum, then B)lynching someone that can give info about others alignments. I fail to see how we can know who can be the best B choice at D1, so we have to focus on A.

It seems like these quotes address the common theme of policy lynches. whether you're policy lynching a lurker, or policy-lynching a useless player, it's still a policy lynch.
-rdriv points out that we should be finding scum rather than info lynches. I agree. I asked about info lynches b/c I wanted to know who we think is/isn't providing info.
-ND points out that calling for {policy lynch based on useless playstyle} is scummy. Agree.
-I think lurking is NAI, but low investment posting *is* alignment indicative, because it's an attempt to "stay off the radar" by participation but no commitment. hedging is another way to try to stay off the radar. In my read so far, the former describes percy pretty well, the latter describes emc and damo.

teacon7

#534 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:47 pm

ND wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:12 pm
This guy must be living in an alternate reality. As the libs say alternative facts lol
That's postmodernism for you. :eyeroll: Competing tribalized narratives DO create alternate realities when language (and thus the functional interpretation of reality) is just a social construct. lol amirite? k.

back to the game.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#535 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 pm

teacon7 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:42 pm
EspressoPatronum wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:07 pm
For the playstyles worth lynching, see my response to rdr around page 10-15 (sorry I can't check easily - I'm on mobile now). Tl;dr: players who are not being useful are worth lynching over players who are not.
EspressoPatronum wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:14 pm
teacon7 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:05 pm

I agree with you. Mine is a thought experiment. With so little to go on, D1 often gets decided by... unreasonable methods. We don't have to lynch this guy, but I'm asking your opinion on: Whose flip will provide the best information?
Quoting this for the "unreasonable methods" bit. This is kind of what I was getting at on post #491. We don't have a lot to go on D1, so we have to rely on perceived usefulness of playstyles and such.
ND wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:56 pm
EspressoPatronum wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:51 pm
We have very little information right now about player alignment beyond playstyle, voting patterns, and gut feelings (neither of which are very detailed on D1). There's been some discussion on past play, but that's fairly new to me as a non-forum player. Most of the meta talks in person come out after a few days.
Imo, it's perfectly valid to lynch someone on D1 because their playstyle.
/Totally a scum indicative statement well the last bit about Lynch play style. He doesnt care about content or analysis of anything just appearance and another example of someone who made up their mind uses no deduction and doesn't give af about the game/.
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:23 pm
And I am answering that I think we can't know beforehand which flip will provide best info. The most info is A) lynching a scum, then B)lynching someone that can give info about others alignments. I fail to see how we can know who can be the best B choice at D1, so we have to focus on A.

It seems like these quotes address the common theme of policy lynches. whether you're policy lynching a lurker, or policy-lynching a useless player, it's still a policy lynch.
-rdriv points out that we should be finding scum rather than info lynches. I agree. I asked about info lynches b/c I wanted to know who we think is/isn't providing info.
-ND points out that calling for {policy lynch based on useless playstyle} is scummy. Agree.
-I think lurking is NAI, but low investment posting *is* alignment indicative, because it's an attempt to "stay off the radar" by participation but no commitment. hedging is another way to try to stay off the radar. In my read so far, the former describes percy pretty well, the latter describes emc and damo.
+1 (in fact +100)

There are moments a policy lynch could be necessary, but not usually D1.

And I agree with Percy, Damo and Emc being low effort/hedgy. I just tend to not push EMC so hard because it's his style.

A question, why Vashta isn't on the same list of Percy?

teacon7

#536 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:05 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 pm
+1 (in fact +100)

There are moments a policy lynch could be necessary, but not usually D1.

And I agree with Percy, Damo and Emc being low effort/hedgy. I just tend to not push EMC so hard because it's his style.

A question, why Vashta isn't on the same list of Percy?
Vash could be on that list, I suppose. My recollection of Vash has an entirely different meta than his play in this game, so maybe that's why I left him off. I feel like he's posting less frequently, but higher quality when he does, so he's giving several degrees more content than Percy. More on re-read.

Durga

#537 Post by Durga » Fri May 17, 2019 8:09 pm

We should honestly just lynch xorxes he's totally scum

teacon7

#538 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:11 pm

hm. nope. on re-read, Vash deserves to be on that list too.

http://mafia.peterlund.se/e/web/msgs?g= ... taNeurotic

He's mostly just harping on ND for playing lightning rod early d1. it's the "look, an easy wagon" approach.

@ND
@Durga
what do you think of Vash so far?

VashtaNeurotic

#539 Post by VashtaNeurotic » Fri May 17, 2019 8:17 pm

I mean yeah...I've posted less, but tbf I didn't really start playing until halfway through day 1 and evne then I didn't read up until like 2 AM EDT yesterday (after which I ended up sleeping cause I'm working a double). And I've tried to give as cogent thoughts as I can on different matters. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask them.

teacon7

#540 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:31 pm

VashtaNeurotic wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:17 pm
I mean yeah...I've posted less, but tbf I didn't really start playing until halfway through day 1 and evne then I didn't read up until like 2 AM EDT yesterday (after which I ended up sleeping cause I'm working a double). And I've tried to give as cogent thoughts as I can on different matters. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask them.
I've worked a few doubles in my time. Sorry man.

Question for you: why are you still voting ND? Do you really think his firestorm of posting is scum indicative?