M1007 — "Mafia, She Wrote" Game Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: M1007 — "Mafia, She Wrote" Game Thread

#401 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:54 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:52 am
Durga wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:38 am
bozotheclown wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:37 am

I have looked into this further and I can't find any game that this conclusion could be based on, am I missing something?
There is a game where he did this exact thing. He was scum with yavuz. I can't remember the number though.
I reviewed that game, M39, because it was the only game that damo played where ND was scum, and ND started that game very different than he started this game. He only became more aggressive later in that game after he was widely scum read.
Exactly what I remembered.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#402 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:56 pm

VashtaNeurotic wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:56 am
Hi everyone. I'm finally back and free (and read up on this game).

So I haven't played since the 20s or 30s (well I think I replaced into a game at the end, called the scum team but got lynched, but I don't count that). Anyway when it comes to scumreads, ND tops them. I've played with town ND and scum ND, and while both of them are usually active and annoying to read, town ND is usually more proactive and less defensive than this ND has been. Also his posts have been a whole lot of fluff and claims almost entirely based upon people going after him and the like. And regardless of whether he's town or not, his post will likely clog up the thread with a really low signal:noise ratio that isn't worth keeping around.

##VoteND

When it comes to other scum reads I feel bozo might fit the bill as his first post was hopping on the EMC wagon with no prior posts and not even adressing emc for a while (except to say he thought he was scum) with a few brief responses to ideas and voting for damo for voting for ND on a post being contradictory which isn't. (The post in question being damo saying "ND likes to change styles from game to game but when he's like this he's scum." which clearly just indicates that while damo understands ND may change up his posting style from game to game, the way he is posting (i.e the lack of actual content) is a usual scum ND tactic.

Not really anyone else strikes me as scummy scummy but I could be mistaken.

When it comes to townreads I trust Espresso and his clear and concise interrogation of ND as well as other thoughts. ALso for me damo reads like someone who while not excessively active is given his relevant thoughts when he can with little fluff.

Also I find that spammers are almost always a negative for town (regardless of alignment) and worse than lurkers (though lurking is bad...funny that I'm saying that). As it's similar to how misinformation is actively worse than lack of information. While lack of substance is bad, spamming confuses and adds chaos to the town trying to solve the game.

Anyway that's what I got for now. Any questions?
Wow, I think I don't agree with a single line of your post. Lurking is better then spamming? In a vanilla game, you must be kidding.

Vaporwave

#403 Post by Vaporwave » Fri May 17, 2019 1:01 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Agree too, Durga is usually a lot more confrontational as town. Of course she could change meta, but I doubt it's the case. Anyway, I don't like her push on ND too, because it's lazy, it's like pushing Brain on D1.
Not quite the same, bomb has a history of acting spastic whereas ND never behaved like this before, I saw him in 2 games and there was never a problem. Something changed with him.

Vaporwave

#404 Post by Vaporwave » Fri May 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Lovers of ND: rivera, Moscow, bozo
Pushers of ND: Vashta, espresso, Durga and damo

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#405 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:05 pm

xorxes wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:07 pm
Percy Williams wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:23 am
Vaporwave wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:41 pm
##VOTE Percy, trying to make him use his tongue more

too reserved, too much in the background
Sorry, I was unexpectedly busy today.
Posting my reads from this part of the thread and before:
Loving Moscow so far, really made a town showing.
ND really could be either way, he has that style Brainbomb has imitated, where he's just really out there and a bit spammy. I agree with Moscow, It ain't worth lynching him yet, he'll post enough to have a good slip up eventually if he is scum.

Rdrivera seemed real shifty at first but has kind of redeemed himself. Right now I give him a solid Maybe.

Espresso could pull a flavius, and noob scum to victory, but I feel pretty town from him, earnestly trying to figure out what's going on, so they can start catching scum.
I'll
This post is so so scummy...

Unfortunately I have to go to work now and can't keep reading for now, but I wanted to flag where I got to.
I find this a bit forced too, but his last posts were a bit better and he took an instance voting on Durga (I think scum Percy would vote ND, unless they are both scum).

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#406 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Vaporwave wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:01 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:

Agree too, Durga is usually a lot more confrontational as town. Of course she could change meta, but I doubt it's the case. Anyway, I don't like her push on ND too, because it's lazy, it's like pushing Brain on D1.
Not quite the same, bomb has a history of acting spastic whereas ND never behaved like this before, I saw him in 2 games and there was never a problem. Something changed with him.
ND and Durga have a historic of confrontations and let's be honest, ND isn't exactly a friendly and sympathetic guy, so it's not only about content. I am not saying he is town, he didn't give content enough to get a town read, I just don't see why people is so sure about him being scum and at least two people (Durga and Patronum) said that it would be a good lynch even if he is town, which is utterly stupid as we only have 3 myslinches.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#407 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 pm

And I need to vote. I had a feeling about this ##vote Damo

ND

#408 Post by ND » Fri May 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Vashta was definitely looking for an easy Lynch (me) as I said yesterday I gave enough oddity to attract the fruit flies and oh they have come.

ND

#409 Post by ND » Fri May 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Damo could be mafia his posts are nd is bad cause derna said so. No real reason there.

ND

#410 Post by ND » Fri May 17, 2019 1:44 pm

I'll go back to ##vote espresso

I think he is scum. He has exhibited evidence that he doesn't read, follows the band wagon, and is looking for an easy lunch.

ND

#411 Post by ND » Fri May 17, 2019 1:50 pm

I'll be posting my thoughts throughout the day as I head to the gallows. Be careful about blindly following what drugna says. She uses that to basically avoid the game except to post shitty comments to ppl she doesn't like. She is toxic. She will use your cult following of her (y ppl follow her is beyond me dum gets dumber I guess?) To manipulate for her own endgame. Watch out for her.

teacon7

#412 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:57 pm

I take it back ND. it wasn't weed you were smoking. It was SAGE. Like your advice :lol:

teacon7

#413 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:00 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Easy lynches are scum lightning rods. But imo durga would know we'd think that, so... hm.

I will say this: this is possibly the most active I've seen durga in a game before.

teacon7

#414 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:02 pm

xorxes wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 am
I just want to point out that emc has never voted before the last half hour of the day as far as I remember, so this reaction test did not have much of a chance on him this early (although if he had taken the bait it would have been quite interesting).

Other than that, I see that emc has started to actually have opinions on people, which is something I don't remember happening before as either alignment from him.
Good meta to know, thank you.

I'm still offput by the hedging, so he's in my lynch pool for today.

e.m.c^42

#415 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:03 pm

teacon7 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 am
Let's break this down:
e.m.c^42 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:51 pm
Honestly?
A wise woman told me a story once about the word "honestly." She said that if a guy comes to you and tells you to believe him, because "honestly!" or "really, i mean it this time" or "let me be straight with you." ...you have to be careful. Because they're either lying right there and feel the need for extra persuasion, OR they're usually lying, and feel the need to add a little extra persuasion when they actually do tell the truth.
e.m.c^42 wrote:
Both are quite fun for me, since the objective is the same: pretend I know shit going on, and avoid dying xD
and it’s fun to devil’s advocate other people’s reads.
The objective is manifestly NOT the same between town and scum.
Town doesn't know what's going on, and is trying to figure it out. Scum DOES know what's going on, and is trying to pretend they don't know. Town wants to solve, scum wants to live + NK + ML their way to victory.

e.m.c^42 wrote:
(this isn’t avoiding the question intentionally lol)
Well then you're unintentionally avoiding the question. Which is functionally the same. Xorx put it well - no one is perfectly bisexual / ambivalent about preferred alignment.

Why would that matter?
1) As town, you have no reason not to pick a side here.
1.a If you're town and like town, you're comfortable saying "I like being town" and that's it.
1.b If you're town and like playing scum, you're a bit uncomfortable saying it, but there's no real reason not to. Newbie town tends to try to nerviously self-preserve, but I get the sense that you've played (and GM'd) often enough that you don't deserve a newbie pass on this.
2) As scum, you'd have every subconscious reason to hedge on this question:
2.a If you're scum and say "I like playing scum" ... you feel a bit exposed because you implied you might be scum, so it's risky.
2.b If you're scum and say "I like playing town" ... you feel like you're lying a bit, because you're currently not playing as town.

So: this is maybe nitpicking, but also could indicate nervous scum tics, so...

Why so hesitant to commit to answering the question?
Why not jump on ND?
Ask me again after the game if you want, and we can discuss then, but I enjoy playing as both alignments enough that there isn't a noticeable varience in fun. It has nothing to with this game particularly, so I stand by my answer :D

As for objective, the objective is the same? As town, you want to get townread so others don't mislynch you, and provide counter-arguments to reads/opinions to contribute to discussion. As scum, you want to find and poke scummy people, as well as get townread, and for most of the days you don't know who's scum and who isn't, so...

I don't want to lynch ND today for reasons I've listed before, as well as how he's still taunting - ask me again in a few days and this might change, sure - but not now.

teacon7

#416 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Percy Williams wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:45 am
I respectfully disagree with your "no one is completely Bisexual " statement, sometimes, you just don't care. At all. I feel like Teacon never went to an educational institution, generally there's something there that makes you discover there are things you can't be buggered about. And some forces are equal.
MoscowFleet wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:21 am
Percy Williams wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:45 am
I feel like Teacon never went to an educational institution
Homie. He’s a fucking teacher.

Thanks Moscow.
Point of fact, I am a school administrator, and I also teach 1-2 classes to stay connected. I like Percy's illustration. Schools (especially bigger ones) tend to have an institutionalizing effect that can really suck the life and imagination out of those incarcerated. I mean, out of the students AND faculty. If you're just another studentID # shuffling around for arbitrarily inflated letters on a piece of paper... yeah, I can see not caring about anything.
If you're interested, I have several actual books that might be interesting reading for "ways we can fix this" sort of thing. Check out "10 ways to ruin the imagination of your child" by a guy named Anthony Esolin. He identifies the problems and has some suggestions for how to fix it. I'm a teacher/administrator, but much like Ron Swanson working in a government building - I'd rather see us trying to do a lot less, and what we do, do a lot better. https://brightestyoungthings.com/wp-con ... n-flag.gif

That said, @Percy's illustration doesn't apply here. Kids are often forced to be in schools. No one was forced to play this game. Participation isn't a matter of government mandate, but preference and choice. This places it in a whole new realm where indifference due to helplessness doesn't apply. And anyway, I'm less concerned with the opinion so much as the fact that emc hedged it so badly, and hasn't really engaged me since. Seems scummy.

teacon7

#417 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:04 pm

ND wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:53 am
Tom is like a one hit wonder. He strikes it out the ballpark once, makes a name for himself, then fades into the obscurity and void of dankness.
I laughed. What did Tom do that got him legendary status? He has an awesome username, I'll grant him that.

teacon7

#418 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:04 pm

Durga wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:30 am
teacon7 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:46 pm
e.m.c^42 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 pm
Tentatively, I am going to extend a "maybe but prolly not that likely scum" tag on Vapor, if only because he's been talking this much - he genuinely disliked playing as scum and actively avoided being in the thread, even with prompting from me.
This looks really hedgy. You give a slight scumread, then qualify why he's playing a town game for his meta. Why bother saying this at all?
Teacon how is "prolly not likely scum" a slight scumread? Sounds like a slight townread to me. In fact, emc's analysis here is pretty decent.
The read is so confusingly phrased that it's hard to parse.
I read it this way: "Maybe (but prolly not that likely) scum."
Which means the noun is "scum" and there are two qualifiers: "maybe" and "but prolly not that likely"
The "but prolly not that likely" modifies the "maybe" so he's hedging his hedge on the scumread.
It doens't help that my read on vapor is polar opposite from emc's.
The reason he gave is silly. If scum!vapor doesn't like participating, but vapor here seems to be participating more... seems like that's a towntell. Again, I've not played much with the guy, but the reasoning didn't make sense.

teacon7

#419 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:05 pm

VashtaNeurotic wrote:
Also I find that spammers are almost always a negative for town (regardless of alignment) and worse than lurkers (though lurking is bad...funny that I'm saying that). As it's similar to how misinformation is actively worse than lack of information. While lack of substance is bad, spamming confuses and adds chaos to the town trying to solve the game.
Okay but chaos has a chance to be solvable, while a lack of information isn't.

teacon7

#420 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:05 pm

VashtaNeurotic wrote:
So I haven't played since the 20s or 30s
New image for vash: grandpa simpson.

https://superawesomevectors.com/wp-cont ... 00x566.jpg