Help for Citizens of Hong Kong who might want to emigrate to Sunny Australia

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Help for Citizens of Hong Kong who might want to emigrate to Sunny Australia

#1 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:01 pm

Whilst I believe that the noble course of action for Citizens of Hong Kong is to protect what is left of their freedoms and civil rights clearly if the repression of the totalitarian Chinese Communist Party Government of the PRC continues to escalate in it's severity then citizens of Hong Kong are entitled to choose to leave Hong Kong and find refuge in nations like Sunny Australia and Beautiful New Zealand.

As a resident of Sunny Australia I am willing to assist those members of our webdiplomacy community and their friends and/or family who want to emigrate from Hong Kong to Sunny Australia.

I won't blab on the Forum with more Decorum about any enquiries, the way to initiate a conversation with me is to send me a personal message and if interested then an exchange of email addresses would probably be the next step.

I'm thinking of assistance with the relevant Australian Federal Government departments at this end as one way I could help. There are no doubt other ways I might assist.

I'd encourage other Australian and New Zealand members of our webdiplomacy community to consider also similarly assisting potential emigrants from Hong Kong, and of course those members of our webdiplomacy community in other nations.

Octavious

Re: Help for Citizens of Hong Kong who might want to emigrate to Sunny Australia

#2 Post by Octavious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:42 pm

Is Australia opening up a pathway to citizenship as the UK is doing?

I agree it's important to offer the hand to those who want it. I imagine that it will be far fewer people than you might expect. Most of population who were most fearful of the Communist regime left decades ago. Now that Hong-Kong has fallen I fear for Taiwan. I wonder if it was similar with Germany before the war. Various little expansions that the rest of the world can largely ignore on the basis "well, they're all basically German at the end of the day" and "historically it was all the same country anyway"

I'm increasingly of the opinion that MacArthur may have been right, and we should have grasped the nettle of the Chinese Communist Party when the opportunity came in the Korean War. The world that could have been...

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Re: Help for Citizens of Hong Kong who might want to emigrate to Sunny Australia

#3 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 am

Well Octavious our Oracle I agree with you that the Australian Federal Government could do more than it has currently announced.
What the Australian Federal Government has announced is that all holders of a Hong Kong passport currently in Australia on student visas and visas that allow them to work here can all stay an extra five years and that there will be "pathways to citizenship" for them~ that's at least ten thousand people, and their families, so more could take that opportunity.
I watched a Federal Government Minister being interviewed on the topic and I was disappointed that he kept emphasising the economic benefits to Australia of attracting "high quality persons, professionals, business persons etc and didn't put it across as a "we'll help the needy, the disadvantaged", but I figure he was trying to "sell the idea of tens of thousands of new Chinese emigrants" to a domestic audience, trying to convince us Australians that it's a "good thing for us" which given the residual racism in Australia is understandable imho.

MajorMitchell

#4 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:25 am

I agree with you about Taiwan and believe your analogy has merit, will Taiwan be another Czechoslovakia when Hitler invaded that nation and appeasement or disinterest was the international response?
That'd be a tragedy and I believe that the international community needs to heed the lessons of history and make it clear to the Chinese Communist Party Government of the totalitarian Chinese state that Taiwan will be STRONGLY supported in it's desire to remain independent.

Randomizer

#5 Post by Randomizer » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 pm

Under a Trump presidency, I'm sure there won't be a strong objection to China reclaiming its province with the military. The Trump family doesn't want to lose all the trademarks and money it has received in the last 3 years.