Twenty questions, round 258

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
damo666

Re: Twenty questions, round 258

#21 Post by damo666 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:13 pm

Male?

Hominidae

#22 Post by Hominidae » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:20 pm

Born 1885 or earlier?

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#23 Post by cdngooner » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:32 pm

Primarily known as a jazz/swing musician?
As no musical genres have concrete boundaries, I am going to request clarification from QM as to what he defines as "jazz" and "swing", whether the answer is Yes or No, so please QM, I hope you will provide that clarification in your answer.

Spartaculous

#24 Post by Spartaculous » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:58 pm

damo666 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:12 pm
No. From Wikipedia: "Jazz is a music genre that originated in the African-American communities of New Orleans, Louisiana, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with its roots in blues and ragtime. Since the 1920s Jazz Age, it has been recognized as a major form of musical expression in traditional and popular music. Jazz is characterized by swing and blue notes, complex chords, call and response vocals, polyrhythms and improvisation." Swing music is a subgenre of jazz music.
damo666 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:13 pm
Male?
Yes.
Hominidae wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:20 pm
Born 1885 or earlier?
Yes.
cdngooner wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:32 pm
As no musical genres have concrete boundaries, I am going to request clarification from QM as to what he defines as "jazz" and "swing", whether the answer is Yes or No, so please QM, I hope you will provide that clarification in your answer.
Wattsthematter is welcome to offer thoughts on this as well.

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#25 Post by cdngooner » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:08 pm

No. From Wikipedia: "Jazz is a music genre that originated in the African-American communities of New Orleans, Louisiana, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with its roots in blues and ragtime. Since the 1920s Jazz Age, it has been recognized as a major form of musical expression in traditional and popular music. Jazz is characterized by swing and blue notes, complex chords, call and response vocals, polyrhythms and improvisation." Swing music is a subgenre of jazz music.
I apologize for being obtuse, but I still beg for clarification. "Swing is a subgenre of jazz" is clear. But by saying "the roots of jazz are in blues and ragtime", did you mean to INCLUDE blues and ragtime as part of jazz, or to DIFFERENTIATE between blues and ragtime as something different from jazz.

This is the problem with any question about artistic genres. There is never a bright line between two related genres. One always leads almost imperceptibly into the next.

I'll lay my cards on the table. I am trying to determine if Scott Joplin is within the possible pool. If the "No" to jazz still means a possible "Yes" to ragtime, my conditional guess is: Scott Joplin. If ragtime has been excluded, I will ask a different question in due course.

Spartaculous

#26 Post by Spartaculous » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:17 pm

cdngooner wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:08 pm
I apologize for being obtuse, but I still beg for clarification. "Swing is a subgenre of jazz" is clear. But by saying "the roots of jazz are in blues and ragtime", did you mean to INCLUDE blues and ragtime as part of jazz, or to DIFFERENTIATE between blues and ragtime as something different from jazz.
I think that it is clear enough: saying that jazz has roots in blues and ragtime indicates that jazz is a distinct genre from the genres of blues and ragtime. I certainly wouldn't classify Scott Joplin as a jazz composer/musician.
cdngooner wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:08 pm
I'll lay my cards on the table. I am trying to determine if Scott Joplin is within the possible pool. If the "No" to jazz still means a possible "Yes" to ragtime, my conditional guess is: Scott Joplin. If ragtime has been excluded, I will ask a different question in due course.
And you win! Congratulations! In honor of your homeland, here's the Maple Leaf Rag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCxLAr_bwpA

Wattsthematter

#27 Post by Wattsthematter » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:44 pm

I'd have to agree that ragtime and blues are not "jazz." Though there wouldn't be jazz without them!

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#28 Post by cdngooner » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:59 pm

I've been a Scott Joplin fan ever since "The Sting". Awesome move, awesome music.

Thanks Spartaculous. New one going up shortly.

DrFidelis

#29 Post by DrFidelis » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:04 pm

Now I feel dumb for not thinking of this one, of COURSE the guy who made the most recognizable ragtime music ever is a 20 questions target at some point.
"I cannot think, I cannot fight. With patience, I will find my way."

(hmu if you ever need to find a willing person to be the next 20 questions QM)