20 Questions - Game 248

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
wintergreen

Re: 20 Questions - Game 248

#61 Post by wintergreen » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:37 pm

I'm not going to ask this yet before awaiting others' input on its merits as question 20.
<preview>
Served in the British Army?
</preview>

Spartaculous

#62 Post by Spartaculous » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:48 pm

cdngooner wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:29 pm
Hint: For the first few questions, I thought you were going to get this rather easily. Then you went astray.
So then I guess Guy Simonds.

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#63 Post by cdngooner » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:56 am

Dammit, how do you DO that? It's like you can see into my SOUL! Yes, when it was asked if he was "born before 1950, or spent more than 5 years in Canada," and I said, "Yes", I thought you would figure very quickly that he was Canadian. But you all seemed to veer away from that. Then, when the inevitable "born in Europe" question came, I thought I had you.

My intended clue, after Q20, was going to be he has something in common with several of my previous subjects. (of course Simonds was: one of Monty's favourite corps commanders; achieved fame in a country other than his country of birth; Canadian).

Lieutenant-General Guy Simonds led the 1 Cdn Div in the Sicily invasion, then I Cdn Corps in the Italian Campaign, then II Cdn Corps in Normandy, then First Cdn Army in the Scheldt Campaign. Considered the best Canadian general of all time, Monty continually gave II Cdn Corps the most important jobs (clearing Caen; taking the heights east of Caen; clearing the Scheldt; leading Operation Veritable.

Hominidae

#64 Post by Hominidae » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:25 am

I think what got us off track was the "died aged 70 or older" question (perfectly good question, to be clear). Once it became very unlikely that he was born after 1949, he wasn't any more likely to be Canadian than the average target. The WWII thing cemented this even more.

Great round!

Spartaculous

#65 Post by Spartaculous » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:38 am

cdngooner wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:56 am
Dammit, how do you DO that? It's like you can see into my SOUL!
This one was relatively easy. Once you cued us that we were likely looking for a Canadian, it was simple enough to look at everyone on this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_Army_generals_of_World_War_II
Exactly one of them fit the main criteria (born in or after 1900, born in England, no E in first name).

Not quite as much fun as Mark Sykes. I was very proud of that one (along with Alexander Butterfield). But I guess I do get credit for being the one to ask
Spartaculous wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:34 pm
Is this a real human being who was either born before January 1, 1950 or who lived in Canada for at least 5 years?
Also:
Hominidae wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:25 am
I think what got us off track was the "died aged 70 or older" question (perfectly good question, to be clear). Once it became very unlikely that he was born after 1949, he wasn't any more likely to be Canadian than the average target. The WWII thing cemented this even more.
Yes, these are all very good points. I will add to it that sometimes, I think that the questioning goes off in certain directions (letters in names, age at death, etc.) that just don't help out too much, when really we should be focusing on what the person is famous for. (Something to keep in mind for the next round.)

Anyways, yes, another fun round. Thanks cdngooner!

JustAGuyNamedWill

#66 Post by JustAGuyNamedWill » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:46 am

And with that, the 41st round of 20 questions in March ends