20 questions : round 244

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Wattsthematter

Re: 20 questions : round 244

#41 Post by Wattsthematter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

cdngooner wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm
Free guess: Adolphe Sax.
It is Antoine-Joseph "Adolphe" Sax

Inventor of the saxophone, key contributor to the modern-day bass clarinet design, and inventor of the saxhorn, which lead to the invention of my personal favorite instrument... the flugelhorn! Though Adolphe Sax wasn't a composer, he commissioned many famous composers to write pieces for his new inventions, with Hector Berlioz famously writing of his approval of the, originally, widely disliked saxophone.

It's a miracle we ever got to see Sax's inventions, as he had a Kenny-like disposition to fatal danger as a child. This wiki entry sums it up pretty well.. As a child, he once fell from a height of three floors, hit his head on a stone and was believed dead. At the age of three, he drank a bowl full of acidic water, mistaking it for milk,[4] and later swallowed a pin. He received serious burns from a gunpowder explosion and once fell onto a hot cast-iron frying pan, burning his side. Several times he avoided accidental poisoning and asphyxiation from sleeping in a room where varnished furniture was drying. Another time young Sax was struck on the head by a cobblestone and fell into a river, almost dying.[5]
His mother once said that "he's a child condemned to misfortune; he won't live". His neighbors called him "little Sax, the ghost".[5]

Very nice guess cdngooner, I was thinking this one might go to 20 questions

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#42 Post by cdngooner » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

I'm actually an amateur saxophone player. Adolphe holds a special place in my heart.

Wattsthematter

#43 Post by Wattsthematter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

cdngooner wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm
I'm actually an amateur saxophone player. Adolphe holds a special place in my heart.
I've only played a little bit of tenor, but I absolutely love the sound of the whole sax family. I think it's a shame the sax is still excluded from orchestral compositions

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#44 Post by cdngooner » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

I think it's a shame the sax is still excluded from orchestral compositions
Classical music perhaps, but if you love sax and/or horns as part of an orchestra, listen to the Jesus Christ Superstar original album. It will blow your mind.

Spartaculous

#45 Post by Spartaculous » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

Great pick Watt!