M81: A Night To Remember [SIGNUPS]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
President Eden

Re: M81: A Night To Remember [SIGNUPS]

#21 Post by President Eden » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:48 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:01 pm
Mechanic: Separated Dance Partners

A player is a “separated dance partner” when their partner is removed from the game, or if, at the start of the game, they are not assigned a dance partner (e.g., because there are an odd number of players). When a dance partner becomes separated, that player will be added to a new private Discord thread containing all other separated dance partners still in the game. Like other private threads, this thread is usable only at night.
Mechanic: Ghosts

When a player is removed from the game, instead of being added to spectator chat, that player will be added to a new private Discord thread containing all other players that have been removed from the game. Unlike other private threads in this game, the ghosts may communicate with each other in their thread at all times. A ghost may choose to “move on to the next world” by messaging the GM at any time; at the GM’s earliest convenience, that player will be turned into a spectator within the normal god chat.
Mechanic: Séance

Each night, each ghost may write a message to the GM to be conveyed to the Separated Dance Partners. The GM will collate all the messages in a random order and post them to the Separated Dance Partners thread at end of night. A ghost’s message is not to exceed 100 characters in length. If a message exceeds the character limit, only the first 100 characters will be sent. The message will also include the number of ghosts that chose to “move on to the next world” in the previous day/night cycle.
So the people no longer in dance chats get moved to a group chat, and the people who are dead get moved to an optional dead chat.

and the dead can talk to the people who have been seperated from their dance chats.

is that correct?
Correct. If there are an odd number of players, then one person starts “separated,” but will receive a partner (by way of then joining the “separated” chat) by the start of night 1 unless day 1 ends without a kill. Everyone else starts with a partner and moves to “separated” chat when their partner dies.

Ghost chat is separate from separated chat, but once per night the ghosts can each send one short message which will be aggregated and posted in separated chat at EON. I will provide an example of what that message might look like later today.
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:22 pm
##Call GM:

Please define "pseudorandomly".
I will assign roles, and then I will assign each player a partner using the following procedure:

1. If there are an odd number of players, then I will select a player at random to start in separated chat.
2. One by one, for each mafia player, I will randomly assign a townie to be their partner.
3. All remaining players will be randomly assigned a partner from the remaining pool of players.

It is “pseudorandom” only insofar as each mafia player will have a town partner and no two mafia players will be partners, but otherwise it is random.

President Eden

#22 Post by President Eden » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:50 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:38 pm
Le sigh, much as I was hoping to play, I'm going to be out for a week in early July and out for a long weekend in mid-July. :( I guess sign me up as your part-time assistant, if you want, Eden.
I picked an arbitrary date somewhat far out to start, but my hope is that we will be able to start sooner. That said, the game will likely take two weeks to complete at a minimum. I will be happy to have an assistant if you don’t think you can commit to that timeframe though 8-)

brainbomb

#23 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:11 pm

is there a N0 chat or is the whole chat thing only relevant as of night 1

brainbomb

#24 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:12 pm

never mind I see the answer

Kakarroto

#25 Post by Kakarroto » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:14 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:12 pm
never mind I see the answer
I'm too lazy to look it up, so Mr. Eden, same question:
brainbomb wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:11 pm
is there a N0 chat or is the whole chat thing only relevant as of night 1

President Eden

#26 Post by President Eden » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:17 pm

I envisioned all chats starting N1, but I’m open to N0 because that sounds more fun

Fluminator

#27 Post by Fluminator » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:32 pm

Would people who sign up get to choose their dance partner?

Jamiet99uk

#28 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:07 pm

This game will be very weird.

What is to stop everyone mass-claiming who their dance partner is, in order to start significantly reducing the POE once flips start to mount up?
Buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz.

Jamiet99uk

#29 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:08 pm

What I mean is, if no pair is scum, then if there is a massclaim of partners, every time a Mafia is caught, that will also create one townclear.

Did the GM consider this?

brainbomb

#30 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:12 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:08 pm
What I mean is, if no pair is scum, then if there is a massclaim of partners, every time a Mafia is caught, that will also create one townclear.

with no town protective, and no PR, wouldnt mafia just always kill whoever is partners with a dead maf? its basically like vanilla PRs

brainbomb

#31 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:17 pm

that being said I can see how some players will instantly push for massclaiming who everyones dance partners are and then use that in some way to project best options mechanically for who best to try to clear. that is one advantage that the setup allows town in a game thats otherwise just mountainous with some side chats

Jamiet99uk

#32 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:18 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:12 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:

with no town protective, and no PR, wouldnt mafia just always kill whoever is partners with a dead maf? its basically like vanilla PRs
Yes but that forces Mafias kill which could be to their overall detriment.

Kakarroto

#33 Post by Kakarroto » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:20 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:07 pm

What is to stop everyone mass-claiming who their dance partner is, in order to start significantly reducing the POE once flips start to mount up?
I was of the thought that all players are aware who is partnered with whom? Just that only their private chat is invisible to others.

If I misunderstood and this will not be known knowledge, then I'm sure there will be actions.

Also, I had some thoughts on how such a game might progress, but I shall not speak too much of it because I think that will be a fun factor during the game anyway. I think, however, that town would need to up their reading and prediction game.

President Eden

#34 Post by President Eden » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:30 pm

I’m going to limit some of my comments because I have ideas about how I think town and scum “should” play in this setup — but I think a lot of the fun y’all will have will be in the joy of discovery and working through the wrinkles it has to offer, and just giving out what I think are the answers to those questions will rob you of that joy.

I will address whether interactions are intended or unintended and will issue adjustments if needed.
Jamiet99uk wrote:

This interaction is intended.
Jamiet99uk wrote:

Partners will not be public knowledge at game start, but claiming your partner, fakeclaiming a different partner, etc. are all anticipated behaviors and are allowed within the rules. Partners will not be public knowledge at game start to allow partners who wish not to claim to proceed with that information unknown.
Fluminator wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:32 pm
Would people who sign up get to choose their dance partner?
As noted earlier, partner assignments are random, notwithstanding that no dance partner pairing shall contain two mafia.

Jamiet99uk

#35 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:34 pm

Kakarroto wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:20 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:

I was of the thought that all players are aware who is partnered with whom? Just that only their private chat is invisible to others.

If I misunderstood and this will not be known knowledge, then I'm sure there will be actions.

Also, I had some thoughts on how such a game might progress, but I shall not speak too much of it because I think that will be a fun factor during the game anyway. I think, however, that town would need to up their reading and prediction game.
No I think you only know your *own* dance partner

brainbomb

#36 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:35 pm

regardless of alignment. because I hate players who cant solve a game without mech, I will not be massclaiming or advocating for any strategy. I will ignore any requests to do so and pretend I dont know whats even going on.

brainbomb

#37 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:39 pm

in light of there being night chats for all players is there any reason that the game thread cant finally be a closed chat night phase?

brainbomb

#38 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:40 pm

otherwise, theres no PR, so what does town have to chit chat about at night in a discord that they cant just do in game thread. like what is the purpose of the chats beyond just exchanging pleasantries.

brainbomb

#39 Post by brainbomb » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:44 pm

from the Jamie and brain dance chat

brainbomb: hey jamie you still VT?

jamiet99uk: yep. you?

brainbomb: hey yea. so who do you scumread.

jamiet99uk: I just posted about it in game thread.

brainbomb: oh cool ill go read that instead

President Eden

#40 Post by President Eden » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:49 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:40 pm
otherwise, theres no PR, so what does town have to chit chat about at night in a discord that they cant just do in game thread. like what is the purpose of the chats beyond just exchanging pleasantries.
Your point here is well-taken. I’m gonna think about it and I guess open this up to others’ thoughts on the matter as well, but I’m inclined to close the game thread at night after thinking about your suggestion here.