Mafia XL - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Mafia XL - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

#1021 Post by peterlund » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:45 pm

RagingIke297 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:44 pm
To me it seemed like Tom was intentionally trying to not draw attention to himself which would prompt scum to take a shot on him being a PR.
Well in that case it was not so smart of Tom to not play a normally active game, if that led scum to suspect that he was a PR... Right?

RagingIke297

#1022 Post by RagingIke297 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:27 pm
I've made multiple attempts to talk about the box, info gained and what's lost from claiming early, strategies to circumvent the negatives, but no one seems to want to talk about it. Damo, Bo, would either of you like to discuss?
As has been said, talking about the box doesn't equate to catching scum.

Most of the conversation you had regarding the box strikes me as insincere to begin with. Here is my favorite example from page 5.
RagingIke297 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm
This is assuming that the person holding the box isn't scum and scum actually want to target whoever is holding the box. However it's something we need to look into more, who benefits more from knowing? Scum could try to target box holders, but then box holders get to direct kills.... hmmm
What does this conversation that you still want to have about the box 40 pages and 96 hours later actually do for us?

I see very little scumhunting from you thus far despite your early activity, presence at the EOD, and presence here now. You seemed to scumread DrCJG, which is great. Why? You said that you didn't want to vote him on day 1 because you wanted to consolidate wagons. Why aren't you leading off day 2 with your scumread instead of only showing up because people called you out?
Who do you see scum hunting from Bo? Yes, I was present at end of day, but as you said you know my job and most days at EOD I have enough time to check in but not post anything of substance. I don't see anyone leading off much of anything, so I'll go through Dr.CJG again and come back with results

RagingIke297

#1023 Post by RagingIke297 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:01 pm

peterlund wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:45 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:44 pm
To me it seemed like Tom was intentionally trying to not draw attention to himself which would prompt scum to take a shot on him being a PR.
Well in that case it was not so smart of Tom to not play a normally active game, if that led scum to suspect that he was a PR... Right?
Couldn't be more wrong Peter, that was a pro move on Toms part. From the looks of it he pulled a NK and RB as VT. He did his job perfectly

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1024 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:04 pm

RagingIke297 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 pm
Who do you see scum hunting from Bo? Yes, I was present at end of day, but as you said you know my job and most days at EOD I have enough time to check in but not post anything of substance. I don't see anyone leading off much of anything, so I'll go through Dr.CJG again and come back with results
Not many people are scumhunting, but I'm focusing on you, so I'm asking you. If you want to turn that around on someone else, feel free.

I've done your job and I know you were gone yesterday but I don't know your schedule.

RagingIke297

#1025 Post by RagingIke297 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:04 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 pm
Not many people are scumhunting, but I'm focusing on you, so I'm asking you. If you want to turn that around on someone else, feel free.

I've done your job and I know you were gone yesterday but I don't know your schedule.
By "my job" do you mean scum hunting? Also, if you want I'll gladly share my work schedule so you know when I should be participating

Durga

#1026 Post by Durga » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:15 pm

What the heck is happening. Are you guys coworkers or some shit

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1027 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:28 pm

I used to work in one franchise of the company he currently works with not far from me.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1028 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:31 pm

RagingIke297 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 pm
By "my job" do you mean scum hunting? Also, if you want I'll gladly share my work schedule so you know when I should be participating
Your job is your actual employment. I'm trying to stick up for you a little bit here.

I'm not Maniac; I don't need your alibi. I'm not expecting you to spend every waking hour of your life playing mafia, but if I see you at EOD and you don't specify otherwise, I assume you're actually there, not just checking in. That's obviously not always the case. No worries on that one now that we're clear that you weren't really available to do much.

RagingIke297

#1029 Post by RagingIke297 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:42 pm

I still don't like DrCJG on re-read, he states that he'll be fear killed because he has never been town before and thinks scum won't want him to stick around and solve which I think is a load of crap.
DrCJG wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 pm
No... I will definitely be fearkilled... this is my first game as town after 4 scum games... and I am just too much of a wildcard.
While CJG's town skills could be great its not something I see the scum team hedging against night 1.

He also talks about his scum meta
DrCJG wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:42 pm
damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm
Dr CGJ

I think light posters are good to vote for to try get them engaged.

They are as good a D1 lynch as anyone else if there is limited stuff to go on.

In fact it would be interesting to do a scum/day1 post frequency analysis but I ain't got the time.
I agree voting them to get engaged... indeed that's exactly what i said you were doing in my previous post.

By contrast though, I would actually bet scum are more likely to avoid being a light poster D1... at least I have found that when I am scum I tend to want to constantly be in the conversation sometimes pushing it sometimes riding the coat tails but rarely wanting to draw attention as someone not working to solve.
But then has these two posts surrounding that one:
DrCJG wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm
damo666 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 am
Vecna - why you voting Bo? Sorry if I missed your reasoning somewhere.
Seconded... what's the argument on Bo?

DrCJG wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:38 pm
I think Ghug had a good point about Ike acting like he was unaware of the issues that arose in the prior game. I wasn't playing in the game and I remembered Worcej's folly. While Worcej didn't explain the issue well... Ike's response felt unnecessarily short... perhaps he was eager to let Jamie get into a rage... perhaps he didn't want to defend Worcej... either way its enough to put him as scum lean for me.

## VOTE Ike

His box claiming strategy was interesting to me as I had actually been thinking about it earlier withe the observer/cop. The newbie mafia game had brought up doing the same thing with the tracker... In that case I think we ultimately decided it is more useful to do that when there are fewer PRs because it can allow scum to significantly narrow the PR pool. Here, I think it is more helpful for the person who sent the box to say that they sent the box 2 nights later... at a time in which the box could theoretically be passed back to them eliminating any gain the scum could have with targeting.
Seems like he's riding coattails to me... he spends most of the rest of the day 1 scum reading me, giving himself a reason to scum read me later:
DrCJG wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:33 pm

**Snipped**

Ugh, Ike you better be scum because I am getting tunnel vision for you... every post you make just sounds scummier....

**Snipped**
and trying to get a Vecna wagon started. Which to be fair seems to be an original idea, but he tried with less than 15 minutes and no other votes on Vecna.

I'll ##vote DrCJG

RagingIke297

#1030 Post by RagingIke297 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:44 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:31 pm
RagingIke297 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 pm
Your job is your actual employment. I'm trying to stick up for you a little bit here.

I'm not Maniac; I don't need your alibi. I'm not expecting you to spend every waking hour of your life playing mafia, but if I see you at EOD and you don't specify otherwise, I assume you're actually there, not just checking in. That's obviously not always the case. No worries on that one now that we're clear that you weren't really available to do much.
Gotcha, I read that wrong the first time. Thanks for clarifying.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#1031 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:03 am

I am not caught up. But go Seahawks!

Vecna, have you responded to me? I asked you for your current view on my alignment. I’d like to see as much detail as you have time for. My apologies if you’ve already responded.

xorxes

#1032 Post by xorxes » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:23 am

OK, so right now it's looking like the scumteam is Szpoti+Yavu+ND+(DrCJG|Ike)+some hidden fifth element.

I'm keeping my vote on Szpoti for now, but I can be easily persuaded to switch to one of the others if they have more traction.

If someone wants me to vote for RHK they will need to convince me first that Yavu is town, as I don't see RHK as scum with Yavu.

If someone wants me to vote for flash I need to be convinced first that both Yavu and ND are town, as I think it's unlikely that flash would be scum with either of them.

If someone wants me to vote for peterlund they need to convince me that Szpoti is town, and that's going to be hard.

If someone wants me to vote for anyone else they will need an extremely convincing case, like a guilty scan or something.

ND

#1033 Post by ND » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 am

Okay

-To reiterate my previous point. Yes, the box is important. Now, is not the time though to discuss it. There are less than 24 hours in the phase and most people aren't even talking. It's inactive and that doesn't help. More discussion is needed. More scumhunting.
-@Damo, if your town, which I am skeptical about, tell me and explain to me your top reads.
-@Flash, I explained why I thought you (Jamie) were scum at EON. Are you reading the game? Tell me, how did your vote just so happen to magically land on thd after you entered the game? The wagon just so happens to be (imo) the most inorganic wagon ever. How did you come to decide upon thd. How much of this have you read? Explain to me your perspective on the game.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#1034 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 am

xorxes wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:23 am
OK, so right now it's looking like the scumteam is Szpoti+Yavu+ND+(DrCJG|Ike)+some hidden fifth element.

I'm keeping my vote on Szpoti for now, but I can be easily persuaded to switch to one of the others if they have more traction.

If someone wants me to vote for RHK they will need to convince me first that Yavu is town, as I don't see RHK as scum with Yavu.

If someone wants me to vote for flash I need to be convinced first that both Yavu and ND are town, as I think it's unlikely that flash would be scum with either of them.

If someone wants me to vote for peterlund they need to convince me that Szpoti is town, and that's going to be hard.

If someone wants me to vote for anyone else they will need an extremely convincing case, like a guilty scan or something.
I am pleased to hear your confidence. Can you sum up your reasons for suspecting that scum team. (Sorry, I am not caught up)

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1035 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:32 am

I don't really buy that scumteam, xorxes. Can you clarify a bit?

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#1036 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:32 am

Woops, cross post apparently.

I'm specifically not buying yav and ND, but the others I'm still not sold on.

Durga

#1037 Post by Durga » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:36 am

xorxes wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:23 am

This is the most out of touch post I've ever seen from you.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#1038 Post by rdrivera2005 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:37 am

My country just elected a fascist bigot monkey for president, so I am not really in the mood to play, but will at least share some thoughts.

I still think it's unlikely we had three town wagons D1, and I was scumreading Demon and Damo so they are my top choices. Damo improved a bit today, so I will ##vote Demon until he shows and give something towny.

I am a bit torn on Spotzy. I was town reading him D1, but his defense of "if I was taught I would be better" is utter crap. I never remember a newbie scum been really taught.

I also have a small scumread on Squigs, he just feel off to me.

Durga

#1039 Post by Durga » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:37 am

How can you, having played with ND and yavuz as scum in the last game, actually scum read them in this game? I'm baffled.

Durga

#1040 Post by Durga » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:38 am

Yo I've been thinking about you all evening Rd, really sad about the news.