National Cup (not actually a national cup) Peanut Gallery

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
DougJoe

Re: National Cup (not actually a national cup) Peanut Gallery

#41 Post by DougJoe » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:51 pm

That's good to know, I don't use the newer UI as much and so didn't realize that info was available (as it's not for some reason in the old UI).

Doom427

#42 Post by Doom427 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:42 pm

I don't think any of the players of the game realized this, because we don't use the new design...

Jamiet99uk

#43 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:06 pm

Doom427 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:42 pm
I don't think any of the players of the game realized this, because we don't use the new design...
I certainly did not know that was a thing.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Doom427

#44 Post by Doom427 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:07 am

I wonder... Would posting things to this thread during retreat/builds count as circumventing the rulebook press setting? Like if it was the kinda thing I would post to global chat. Obviously posting to a certain power would be cheating but curious about jokes and chat expected to be seen by everyone that isn't trying to gain position in game

JECE

#45 Post by JECE » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:41 am

There is literally nothing happening this retreat phase, so I'd say that it doesn't matter. But we can still scream 'off with her head!' anyway, so the choice is yours.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

JECE

#46 Post by JECE » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:55 am

I'll risk the chopping block. Austria-Hungary appears to have suffered dreadfully from failing to engage in diplomacy with its neighboring powers. It's still not too late to find an ally, but obviously they need to step up their press game. England is totally doomed right now if France wills it.
See my full Profile:

Doom427

#47 Post by Doom427 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:07 am

JECE wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:41 am
There is literally nothing happening this retreat phase, so I'd say that it doesn't matter. But we can still scream 'off with her head!' anyway, so the choice is yours.
Probably for the best not to risk it

DougJoe

#48 Post by DougJoe » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:21 pm

Doom427 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:07 am
JECE wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:41 am
Probably for the best not to risk it
Personally, I wouldn't care if there was global-chat type stuff here, but it's just easier to only have to look for it in one place.

I once played a private game (with the relationships disclosed before starting) with my brother where we did almost all of our game talk over the phone and the actual game chat was nothing about the game at all. Still remember the night I was thinking about stabbing him in Greece and we talked while I was exercising at a local YMCA and he didn't ask me about what I was doing with Greece at all...

DougJoe

#49 Post by DougJoe » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:25 pm

JECE wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:55 am
I'll risk the chopping block. Austria-Hungary appears to have suffered dreadfully from failing to engage in diplomacy with its neighboring powers. It's still not too late to find an ally, but obviously they need to step up their press game. England is totally doomed right now if France wills it.
Since you're not in the game, I think making observations on it is okay. At least, I'm fine with it.

Ginge86

#50 Post by Ginge86 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:29 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:25 pm
JECE wrote:
Since you're not in the game, I think making observations on it is okay. At least, I'm fine with it.
Austria is dropping out of the game, as JECE is probably already aware, Austria is me, this game has been nothing more than hunt the GOAT. Very, very sad but expected. So all the illogical moves, Italy building no fleet ect, can all be explained now. Please read the global press for more info.

Theodoric

#51 Post by Theodoric » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:41 pm

I guess none of us should be all that surprised that this game resulted in an immature, drama-filled flame-out in year two.

None of the "evidence" presented on the global chat suggests that Austria was doomed from the start. Sometimes games don't go your way.

Does anyone want to step in for Austria so that we can finish this game?

Ginge86

#52 Post by Ginge86 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:55 pm

Theodoric wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:41 pm
I guess none of us should be all that surprised that this game resulted in an immature, drama-filled flame-out in year two.

None of the "evidence" presented on the global chat suggests that Austria was doomed from the start. Sometimes games don't go your way.

Does anyone want to step in for Austria so that we can finish this game?
Below is the invites sent out, how is what is in global not a breach of the rules we all agreed too?
It is my pleasure to inform you that the Mighty GOAT has requested your presence at an upcoming event.

I know that you must be very excited, so we will commence the diplomacy lesson, as soon as we can get the final player confirmed.

In the meantime, I would like to run the rules past everyone, make sure everyone would be happy with them. Changes can be made, so please let me know if you would prefer a different option.

I was thinking SOS, Anonymous and Classic Rule Book press
I would also like to request that everyone commit to pursuing a solo where possible. I want NO care bears or draw lovers in my game lol.
Finally, this is not hunt the GOAT, lets keep press about the game and not about which player is which.

If anyone has anything they want to add, either add to the forum or message me directly.

Please respond when you can to confirm you are happy to proceed.

The GOAT

Theodoric

#53 Post by Theodoric » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:12 pm

Sure--what you posted indicates that some players did not do as you requested when you started the game. It also suggests that the majority of players didn't care at all who was who, and that players also didn't agree about who was who.

Good diplomacy players are going to use any tool they have available to create alliances and influence other players. If you create a game by saying "WHO WILL CHALLENGE THE MIGHTY GOAT" that creates an obvious opening for players to adopt the persona of "goat-haters" in order to seem like more dependable allies. You might also have some players talking about who will and won't be in a draw from turn 1, even if they intend to go for a solo. That's press diplomacy.

The fact is, every player on the board was willing to make an alliance with you if we thought it was in our interest. You weren't successful at convincing your neighbors to work with you. That's life, especially when playing Austria.

I'd also guess that every good player on this site has had games where all of their neighbors attacked them and they managed to turn things around and get a result. If your response to that situation is to quit in frustration, you still have room for growth in your diplomacy game.

Ginge86

#54 Post by Ginge86 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:29 pm

Theodoric wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:12 pm
Sure--what you posted indicates that some players did not do as you requested when you started the game. It also suggests that the majority of players didn't care at all who was who, and that players also didn't agree about who was who.

Good diplomacy players are going to use any tool they have available to create alliances and influence other players. If you create a game by saying "WHO WILL CHALLENGE THE MIGHTY GOAT" that creates an obvious opening for players to adopt the persona of "goat-haters" in order to seem like more dependable allies. You might also have some players talking about who will and won't be in a draw from turn 1, even if they intend to go for a solo. That's press diplomacy.

The fact is, every player on the board was willing to make an alliance with you if we thought it was in our interest. You weren't successful at convincing your neighbors to work with you. That's life, especially when playing Austria.

I'd also guess that every good player on this site has had games where all of their neighbors attacked them and they managed to turn things around and get a result. If your response to that situation is to quit in frustration, you still have room for growth in your diplomacy game.
Ok, Turkey lmao, your making it a little obvious now.

The reason for my forum posts was to try and bring some life back, to what seems to me, to be a dying site. I was hoping to find like minded players. This was a massive fail, as it appears all the decent players, left a long time ago. Shout out to Yigg, Yonni and Village who all seem to be the type of player I was looking for, it is just a real shame there are not more of you.

The reason for the game, from my perspective, was to try and find players, interested in playing a competitive game, against good players, in order to test there skill, something I hoped would become a regular thing. It was NOT to set up a game of me against 6 other players. If that is what you wanted, all power to you but I am not going to waste my time on such a game.

As the highest ranked, active press player on this site. I think I have proven my ability to read people and situations. Russia is clearly a player I know, they stabbed after making it clear they knew who I was. Turkey has known since day 1 and has done nothing but try and set me up for death since then and Italy built an army. I will say no more after that because we all know how stupid that is. This game has been a joke since move 1, unless the only goal of joining was to kill me, then, well played I suppose lmao.

Anyway, have fun with your game, I hope it is fun for you. I will be dropping out after handing most of my centres to R/I. As revenge is all that is left to me.

Thanks for the game everyone, especially those that played it fairly. Good luck

Theodoric

#55 Post by Theodoric » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:58 pm

OH MY GOD YOU DISCUSSED THE IDENTITY OF A PLAYER!!!!!!!11!1!!!!

Seriously, you're just incorrect about what happened. I didn't set you up since day 1. Russia didn't set you up since day 1. You just made moves that didn't work out, got burned, and then decided to rage quit instead of trying to salvage your position.

The only really bad thing you can do as a diplomacy player is to not play diplomacy. Not trying to win when you have a chance is not playing diplomacy. So is holding grudges from game to game. So is quitting when things don't go your way.

I hope you have a lot of fun on discord. Perhaps you can claim your crown as Greatest Quitter of All Time there as well.

Ginge86

#56 Post by Ginge86 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:05 pm

Theodoric wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:58 pm
OH MY GOD YOU DISCUSSED THE IDENTITY OF A PLAYER!!!!!!!11!1!!!!

Seriously, you're just incorrect about what happened. I didn't set you up since day 1. Russia didn't set you up since day 1. You just made moves that didn't work out, got burned, and then decided to rage quit instead of trying to salvage your position.

The only really bad thing you can do as a diplomacy player is to not play diplomacy. Not trying to win when you have a chance is not playing diplomacy. So is holding grudges from game to game. So is quitting when things don't go your way.

I hope you have a lot of fun on discord. Perhaps you can claim your crown as Greatest Quitter of All Time there as well.
I blocked you in the game for a reason.. Turkey!!
I love the way I managed to get you to reveal your identity lmao, clearly I am not as rubbish as you make out.
Idiot!!

Ferdack

#57 Post by Ferdack » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:25 pm

Ginge86 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:29 pm
The reason for my forum posts was to try and bring some life back, to what seems to me, to be a dying site. I was hoping to find like minded players. This was a massive fail, as it appears all the decent players, left a long time ago. Shout out to Yigg, Yonni and Village who all seem to be the type of player I was looking for, it is just a real shame there are not more of you.

The reason for the game, from my perspective, was to try and find players, interested in playing a competitive game, against good players, in order to test there skill, something I hoped would become a regular thing. It was NOT to set up a game of me against 6 other players. If that is what you wanted, all power to you but I am not going to waste my time on such a game.

As the highest ranked, active press player on this site. I think I have proven my ability to read people and situations. Russia is clearly a player I know, they stabbed after making it clear they knew who I was. Turkey has known since day 1 and has done nothing but try and set me up for death since then and Italy built an army. I will say no more after that because we all know how stupid that is. This game has been a joke since move 1, unless the only goal of joining was to kill me, then, well played I suppose lmao.

Anyway, have fun with your game, I hope it is fun for you. I will be dropping out after handing most of my centres to R/I. As revenge is all that is left to me.
A site dedicated to a game like Diplomacy will never be a bustling hub of activity, and site participation comes and goes anyway. Is it really a dying site, if it saw its largest growth in years during the pandemic? You only care about GR, but you cannot see it for what it really is. It was never meant to be a scientific method to measure the skill of a player. If the cold numbers of the rankings are truly your only concern, then I suggest you go play chess instead. I can guarantee you, there are many skilled players here whom you will scoff at, their rating being the only reason for your arrogance.

Remind yourself we all play to win in a game where no rules bind us to any agreements, and from the moment we accepted your invitation, we are already playing, and if some choose to break your pre-set agreement, it is merely part of the game. Sure, it may not be ethical, but it is the nature of Diplomacy. Do you not feel any shame for stirring up such a commotion in the past month, yet what you deliver in terms of your actual gameplay is so feeble? How many of us have been in games where things have not gone our way, yet we still pressed on? (pun intended) Just look at my profile (or anyone else's, for that matter): despite my general avoidance of press and preference for gunboat, and being crushed in many games, my passion for playing is never diminished.

A player who cannot face defeat is nowhere close to being a good one, far less the GOAT. You have shown yourself to be naught but a coward, much like the novice in a FtF game who flips the board in rage and sulks in the corner for the rest of the day once their plans have been foiled. If you want to salvage what remains of your reputation, then at least stay and finish your part in the game, and stop making baseless accusations of player identity on the forum.

Ginge86

#58 Post by Ginge86 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:03 pm

The old me would argue the point. The new me has better things to be doing.
So, to quote a famous line from my Russian counter-part. "Suck My Balls".

JECE

#59 Post by JECE » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 pm

Ginge86 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:29 pm
DougJoe wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:25 pm
JECE wrote:
Austria is dropping out of the game, as JECE is probably already aware, Austria is me, this game has been nothing more than hunt the GOAT. Very, very sad but expected. So all the illogical moves, Italy building no fleet ect, can all be explained now. Please read the global press for more info.
I had no idea that you were A-H. I assumed that the game host wouldn't NMR. Wow, all that bravado and then you quit in year 2? I'm glad that I stayed away from your invitation. :lol: I had considered playing in another round of your silly GOAT series, but wanted to make sure that the first game(s) didn't end in drama.
See my full Profile:

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#60 Post by Yonni » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:29 pm

Jeez, that's pathetic Ginge. Maybe a good thing to tuck tail before you start too many games here.