My first ever solo!

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
French_boi

My first ever solo!

#1 Post by French_boi » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:35 pm

https://webdiplomacy.net/beta/?gameID=910213

I know bragging isn't great, but this was my first ever solo since I started playing Diplomacy almost two years ago, and I'm pretty proud of myself for accomplishing this :)

I soloed as Turkey, by turning on all my neighbors and allies one by one. First, I made Russia to think I was on their side, allowing me to get into Black Sea first turn and work with my true ally Austria to take Russia out.

All the while, I was actually courting Italy, waiting for the moment where I could pounce on Austria with their help. Luckily for me, Italy had a bad opening and remained totally under-developed, allowing me to quickly sneak in, take Tun, and get rid of both Austria and Italy at around the same time.

During all this, Germany and France were both pre-occupied up North with England, so I didn't have to split the centers with anyone. Once it was down to me, France, and Germany, I made a pact with Germany for a two-way draw, while actually trying to go for a solo.

In the end, Germany and France were just not in a position to hold the line against me, due to France not building enough fleets and Germany trying to take out France instead of securing their border as soon as possible.

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: My first ever solo!

#2 Post by cdngooner » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:54 pm

I made a pact with Germany for a two-way draw, while actually trying to go for a solo.
That was your enemy's fatal mistake. Two-way draws are almost impossible to engineer -- I think they are impossible without collusion / softplay.

Congratulations on your first blood.