Open Position Heros

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Esquire Bertissimmo

Open Position Heros

#1 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:18 pm

Now that the open position counters have been corrected, I have happened upon some truly heroic players who have filled an astounding number of civil disorders. Most of the time, providing this service has come at a cost to their rank.

I want to shout out a few players who I've happened to notice have MASSIVE "Civil disorders taken over" counts.

Redesdale - 621 civil disorders taken over, about 8/month since they joined the site

echidna - 192 civil disorders taken over, about 16/month since they joined the site

BrianBaru - 104 civil disorders taken over, about 10/month since they joined the site

I'm sure there are many other CD take-over heros out there - if you see them, consider recognizing their contributions here.

CD take-over folks, players who mentor newbies/answer rules questions, and maybe especially those making financial contributions to WebDip - thank you!

Jamiet99uk

Re: Open Position Heros

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:55 pm

No wonder I keep seeing those names appear in games.

Nice work, guys.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

BrianBaru

#3 Post by BrianBaru » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:36 pm

Yes, the scoring on takeovers here really hurts rankings, but I play for fun and don't care about rank. I hate seeing games go bad, so I step in. I've played many games with those other two guys.

CaptainFritz28

#4 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:21 pm

Hear hear! Thank you for sacrificing your score for the sake of others!
Ferre ad Finem!

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#5 Post by kestasjk » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:44 am

BrianBaru wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:36 pm
Yes, the scoring on takeovers here really hurts rankings, but I play for fun and don't care about rank. I hate seeing games go bad, so I step in. I've played many games with those other two guys.
Appreciate it, and I'm hoping we'll be able to correct that before long (hopefully retroactively)

echidna

#6 Post by echidna » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:46 pm

I too commend BrianBaru, who I have seen enter near-hopeless positions.

Note that because one's rating changes at the end of a game based on the outcome and the ratings of the other players, having a "ranking-hurt" player among one's opponents has a slightly distorting influence on how much your own rating will change.
How this might be addressed retrospectively - now that's a challenge!