Is it okay for adults to play videogames?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Diplomacy&Warfare

Re: Is it okay for adults to play videogames?

#21 Post by Diplomacy&Warfare » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:01 pm

I agree with CaptainFritz. Videogames, especially social ones or versions of strategic games like Diplomacy, can be helpful and even healthy to play. On the other hand, spending 5 hours a day playing online first-person shooters and being extremely toxic to everyone isn't going to do you any good.

Fluminator

#22 Post by Fluminator » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:11 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:27 pm
Why don't you let people do whatever they want and drop this navel-gazing fake moralising?

Fucking hell.
While I've been adequately convinced videogames are okay, I think as a society we need to bring back societal shame. (So to be clear, I think there are contexts where videogame players don't need to be shamed).

I think we all agree bullying is bad, but in the societal push to remove it, we also removed all shaming, and we need the happy medium again so people are guided towards living their best life without going overboard in correction. It's actually due to my empathy for people that I want to see them thrive.

I know you'd agree with me that shaming in some contexts is okay (like you probably shamed people who didn't get boosted).

Or another example, Bill Gates probably happened because he wasn't bullied enough in high school, and again I'm not saying he should have been bullied, but if he had a little more shame he wouldn't have become the person he did.

JustAGuyNamedWill

#23 Post by JustAGuyNamedWill » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:48 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:43 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:26 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 5:17 pm
I think I lean towards no, but I'm open to arguments to change my mind. There comes a point where you need to live in the real world, and video games are just a form of escapism that is unhealthy.

Society would be better if people spent more time leveling up real skills and getting experience in practical stuff (instead of learning how to stomp on koopas)
What do you call your participation on this website?

Webdiplomacy is an online game.
Webdiplomacy is more a simulator than a game, isn't it? Maybe that's a good point, but I don't know if I consider this a videogame.
Dang you’re a really slow typer! Took ya 10 months to type this out!

Jamiet99uk

#24 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:09 am

Fluminator wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:11 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:27 pm
Why don't you let people do whatever they want and drop this navel-gazing fake moralising?

Fucking hell.
While I've been adequately convinced videogames are okay, I think as a society we need to bring back societal shame. (So to be clear, I think there are contexts where videogame players don't need to be shamed).

I think we all agree bullying is bad, but in the societal push to remove it, we also removed all shaming, and we need the happy medium again so people are guided towards living their best life without going overboard in correction. It's actually due to my empathy for people that I want to see them thrive.

I know you'd agree with me that shaming in some contexts is okay (like you probably shamed people who didn't get boosted).

Or another example, Bill Gates probably happened because he wasn't bullied enough in high school, and again I'm not saying he should have been bullied, but if he had a little more shame he wouldn't have become the person he did.
Did someone hurt you when you were a child?

Is that why you are like this?
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Jamiet99uk

#25 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:10 am

Please just go away for another 9 months, troll.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

A.Severus

#26 Post by A.Severus » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:20 am

I think the better question is, can we stop adults from playing videogames?

Fluminator

#27 Post by Fluminator » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:20 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:10 am
Please just go away for another 9 months, troll.
I'll see you in December 2024