2023 Summer Classic

Find the tournament calendar, sign up for tournaments, track tournament results, and fill out the tournament director questionnaire here.
Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

2023 Summer Classic

#1 Post by Hellenic Riot » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:53 am

Signups for the 2023 Virtual Summer Classic are now OPEN

This event will be held on the vWDC Discord Server from August 25th to August 27th, with the top board at a time to be determined by the participants on the following weekend. The Summer Classic will feature six rounds across the three days at the following times:

Friday 25th August - 23:00 UTC
Saturday 26th August - 07:00 UTC
Saturday 26th August - 15:00 UTC
Saturday 26th August - 23:00 UTC
Sunday 27th August - 07:00 UTC
Sunday 27th August - 15:00 UTC

Registration for the event can be found in the #summer-classic-registration channel - Players can play in as many or as few rounds as they like with your best three scores count toward the standings

Myself and Johnny Gillam will be directing the event, and any questions can be sent to us directly. There's been a huge increase in new faces playing in the virtual scene this year and we're keen to build on this and reach out to more new faces who haven't given virtual a try.

After four years of practice, we've got the technology on Discord running pretty smoothly - And for those of you who haven't played before, games are played in voice channels on Discord with each country having its own channel and people able to move between the channels to have conversations with different people. Negotiation phases last 15 minutes, and games have a cutoff at the end of 1910.

And for some additional motivation - this event's reigning champion is webDiplomacy's very own kgray - So you should all come along and see if you can match her feat!

vWDC Discord Server Link: https://discord.gg/VgjndgMg2s

kgray
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: 2023 Summer Classic

#2 Post by kgray » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:27 am

Hellenic Riot wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:53 am

And for some additional motivation - this event's reigning champion is webDiplomacy's very own kgray - So you should all come along and see if you can match her feat!
You can certainly try!! 8-)

And you should, it’s a really fun time! Especially if you find yourself struggling to keep interested in long games or can’t find the time to send press for months on end, I really suggest trying out virtual. You’ll find you have an advantage over people who haven’t stared at the map for hours on end, and you get all the adrenaline and excitement at once. Highly highly recommend!!

Ginge86

#3 Post by Ginge86 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:01 am

I would be extremely interested in this but I do have a concern.

Does anyone know if this event requires a webcam?
I feel it would be unfair to the other competitors, as starring at my beauty all match, would certainly be distracting.

captainmeme

#4 Post by captainmeme » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:20 am

No, these events are purely voice chat. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a webcam in them.