Fighting winter depression

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

Fighting winter depression

#1 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:40 am

I am struggling a bit to keep my head up these days. Havent been all that positive about work. Not sleeping well. Low energy. Tried to go on some dates and they went ok but ultimately were pointless. My enthuisiasm to troll and spam the forum has gone away on this new forum.
Is anyone else feeling like shits awful lately?

brainbomb

Re: Fighting winter depression

#2 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:44 am

The forum was a way for me to spread laughter. I just think its harder now. I feel less connected to people. I do think its changed my perspective on life a bit. I spend more time on the internet elsewhere. Tbh im not even that passionate about mafia anymore I just play to give myself something to do.

MamaLama

#3 Post by MamaLama » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:49 am

Yeah I was definitely feeling down this winter just not doing anything with my life, mostly playing video game. I joined this thing called code red at school and it has given me lots of structure in terms of time usage. I would suggest trying to give yourself a schedule and maybe learn about something or be active in some way I think it can really help.

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 am

Thats just it. All I do is work and get hardly any sleep. My new schedule is terrible

Foxcastle

#5 Post by Foxcastle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:10 am

Yup, the darkness and the cold get to me, and my job I started six months ago is gone to shit, and the news frustrates me. So I'm making a point to read less news and more funny books.

taylornottyler

#6 Post by taylornottyler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 am

Meetup was super helpful to me when I lived in Sweden and experienced that winter with very few friends.

Rad way to find some activities and new people irl to troll

WyattS14
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#7 Post by WyattS14 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Sorry I missed this BB. I always write when I face depression. Winter is a pretty rough time for me (Read new years post)

yavuzovic

#8 Post by yavuzovic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Clouds are so cruel.
It snowed yesterday first time in this winter. But snows melted until morning. 😭

yavuzovic

#9 Post by yavuzovic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Also can you see my emojis?

WyattS14
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#10 Post by WyattS14 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:08 am

I'd agree BB. It's just not busy anymore and they've thrown anything not political or diplomacy related to the wayside. I can't even share a piece and know if people liked it because they never respond and they can't +1, it seems like I slowed down writing after the "update" actually.

jason4747

#11 Post by jason4747 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:38 am

Bring back the +1s! If only to make brainbomb and happy again. I liked them. It gave a nicw sense of humor to the forum. Sometimes stuff is funny, but it's more challenging to let people know.

Smokey Gem

#12 Post by Smokey Gem » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 am

Get some natural sunlight if you can.

If your depression gets in the way of your normal life seek help form family and friends say " hey I m feeling a bit flat lately " Even if you get no joy form activities still do them...

if it gets real bad seek profesional help talk to your doctor.

SAD- Seasonal affective Disorder. is temporary depresiion can be more servere.

It hard but the work you put in now will benifit you greatly in he long run..

Smokey Gem

#13 Post by Smokey Gem » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:01 am

PS : its 40 degrees C where I am ...to much sunlight..

WyattS14
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#14 Post by WyattS14 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:07 pm

BB are you ok?

Yigg

#15 Post by Yigg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 pm

Hey BB. If I had some sort of grand advice for you that would help, I'd share it. But in lieu of grand advice, I've got some garden-variety advice that sometimes helps me. Sometimes.

1. Read a good book. I don't know what your taste in literature is, but if I was a gambling man, I'd bet that 'John Dies at the End' would be right up your alley. The best review of it I saw read, "It's like the guys from 'Clerks' found themselves in a Cthulhu story." This is no major spoiler or anything, but to illustrate what I'm talking about, the protagonists are trying to escape a room and, to discourage said escape, the antagonist turns the doorknob into a dick. I really don't think I can endorse the book any better than that.

2. Eat some comfort food, especially if it's a big production to make. It doesn't matter if it's no good for you, as long as it really tastes good. In such circumstances, I usually whip up a batch of what I call 'Cardiac Arrest.' I get a package of Lil'Smokies and wrap them in bacon. I'll then throw that in a small crockpot full of teriyaki and warm them up until they're hot enough to enjoy. If heart health is your thing, I'd guess, um, do something else? Oooh! Zebra Cakes. Eat some Zebra Cakes.

3. Explore some new music. This always helps me, though admittedly I'm a bit of an audiophile. I'll turn Pandora on and see what crops up. This gets me interested in things and gets me out of my shell, despite sitting around my computer. Or I'll just wander around YouTube for a bit and see what comes up. Without knowing if this would be your thing, I'd suggest the track 'Alles Neu' by Peter Fox. The video is a trip, and it's all in German (Ich spreche kein Deutsch). But for me, this song really helped me when I was down a dark path, no bullshit.

4. Force yourself to be social, but not until you've had an uptick in how you feel. Sometimes being around people when you're down makes it worse. But when you've at least got one step pointed up, other people can help. I'm not talking about a party, but maybe hang around some relatively like-minded people. This can both be a way to lift you up, but also provide an opportunity to be able to talk to someone about what's on your mind. But if all you want is a Pepsi, then don't worry about it.

A lot of this is tongue in cheek, but I'm totally serious about what I'm saying.

I hope you're doing okay, BB. And for what the ear of an internet stranger is worth, you're welcome to bend mine anytime.

Jeff Kuta

#16 Post by Jeff Kuta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 pm

Go hang out at the local gaming shop.

Find a pub that has a trivia or poker night.

Hit the local museums.

Get the latest $80 for a year's worth of movies in the theater deal from AMC or whatever cinema does it and go see everything.

Take a cooking or social dance class--the ladies all want more men there.

grumbledook
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#17 Post by grumbledook » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 pm

Jeff Kuta wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 pm
Go hang out at the local gaming shop.
Brainbomb is asking how to fight winter depression, not cause it! ;)

Randomizer

#18 Post by Randomizer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:40 am

Go buy the first two seasons of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In to see how many predictions came true. Wait you're trying to fight depression and not get it.

CAPT Brad

#19 Post by CAPT Brad » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:07 am

Binge watch Downton Abbey

WyattS14
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#20 Post by WyattS14 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:32 am

Reply to this thread