MAFIA 78: Random Facts [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Bonatogether

Re: MAFIA 78: Random Facts [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

#4101 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:45 am

boat man i see this but i can't respond until night is over (probably?)

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4102 Post by Chaqa » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:36 pm

My new tinfoil is Eden wanted a final 3 of himself, me, and Bona so he could style on us

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4103 Post by dargorygel » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:27 pm

GM FACTOID... motived this morning by the strange timing of night and day in Mafia at the moment:

You might think that the lengths of the day and night would be equal during the equinox. As it turns out, this is only approximately true. The lengths of the day and night aren’t quite the same, and there are two reasons for this.

Firstly, the Sun has a size – it’s not just a point in the sky. This seems obvious, but it affects how scientists measure sunrise and sunset. Technically, sunrise starts when the upper edge of the Sun meets the eastern horizon, and sunset ends when the upper edge of the Sun sinks below the western horizon. Because the Sun is not a point, and has upper and lower edges, this means that the equinox has a slightly longer day than night.

Secondly, the Earth’s atmosphere refracts (bends) sunlight. When light passes from one medium to another, its path changes. Sunlight travels through the vacuum of space, and when it travels through Earth’s comparatively denser atmosphere, it bends.

This bending means that we can see the upper edge of the Sun several minutes before it touches the eastern horizon, and it also means that we can see the upper edge of the Sun several minutes after the Sun has sunk under the western horizon. This adds even more time onto daylight during the equinox.

What’s more, the bending changes depending on the temperature and pressure of the atmosphere, so the lengths of the night and day on the equinox are only ever approximately the same at any point on Earth.

There are days around the time of the equinox, where day and night are equal length. These are called equilux, and when they occurdepends on latitude. Figure out your own equilux if you desire.

Also... there is no vote count. Because... umm... it is night. Even if a very long night.

BK3K

#4104 Post by BK3K » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:24 pm

KoalaAttack wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:41 am
BK3K wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:55 pm
OK Koala. I'll do your homework. It's going to be a lot shorter than yours.

Why everyone is guilty:
  • BK3K - Droopy eyed armless child
  • Bonatogether - posts a lot, covering up tracks, makes it seem like adding substance when really mostly adding fluff. smoke screen?
  • Bozo - Largely absent at first. Could have waited to see how the first few days shook out, then stepped up as the town leader, gaining trust for having good reads. Has mafia knowledge but not much dirty history from early days to account for. Saw through Rivera doc, which obviously so did scum chat
  • Chaqa - Gets too much joy out of joking to be scum. could be reaching for ragging rights if he lays it out on the table and still wins? Only felt town to me when he agreed with me on the Neon action. Obviously we were both wrong there. Very, very hesitant to shoot Eden
  • KoalaAttack - plays into the newbie role too much. clearly has a grasp of the nature of this game, yet some of the questions asked seem too naïve. playing into the "silly me, I know nothing" card too much. Offended by language/insults. You know who is known for taking things personally and reacting strongly? The Mafia. I'm on season 2 of The Sopranos, I would know
  • lfischl - mostly absent, true busser of President Eden
  • TheFlyingBoat - I actually read Bona's novel this time, I agree with a lot. Not much substance, consistently ending days on (now) known townies. protects ghug
No more HW assignments Koala. Thanks!
Thank you for doing this exercise! No more homework, promise :)

Re your Suspicions on me, I think they are very reasonable and make sense. I admit/confess to intentionally playing the "I am new card" as a cover to ask a myriad questions. But I think asking a myriad questions and watching how others respond to them is good thing for us as a town – especially when you get different takes from different veteran players on "what's the best strategy here". As for the Cussing Out incident, my reaction was real but I realize there is no way to prove that to you until you die or the game ends and you can read my Player Submitted Thoughts in the ghost Discord server. Is Sopranos good, it's been in my queue forever?
I am enjoying it very much. As a warning and because i get the sense it might be important to you: they are very much not PC people. They are gangsters from 20+ years ago. Expect racism, homophobia, etc. But it is a very good show so far

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4105 Post by dargorygel » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:43 pm

FACT TYPE THING:

Quiet is the absence of sound. Silence is the presence of silence. (R. Fripp)

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4106 Post by dargorygel » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:04 pm

ABSOLUTE fact thing:

"Incorrectly" is the only word that whether spelled incorrectly or correctly is always spelled incorrectly.

KoalaAttack

#4107 Post by KoalaAttack » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:53 pm

In case I die, my new Suspect List stack-rank is:

(1) lfischl – continues not engaging & watching the train wreck
(2) Chaqa – accept their "this is who I am", but respond in kind **
** if lfischl is Mafia I'd seriously reconsider Chaqa, pairing is too obvious
(3) TFB – actions speak louder than words
(4) Bozo – solving yet still didn't address my questions
(5) Bona – mostly due to others being *more* Suspicious
(6) BK3K – mostly due to others being *more* Suspicious

bozotheclown

#4108 Post by bozotheclown » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:59 pm

TFB and lfischl have not posted anything recently to indicate they are town, so if it was up to me I would DK one of them next. Since we have no mis-kills left, the order does not matter.

worcej

#4109 Post by worcej » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:00 pm

Night has ended. Please Hold.

worcej

#4110 Post by worcej » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:01 pm

Random Facts about Clowns:
  1. The word clown is believed to come from the Icelandic word klunni, meaning a clumsy person.
  2. The earliest record of the word clown dates from around 1560.
  3. Clowns are nicknamed Joeys after the early 19th century pantomime star Joseph Grimaldi.
  4. Grimaldi was the first panto clown to wear white face make-up instead of a mask.
  5. The full name of Krusty the Clown in The Simpsons is Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yercham Krustosky. He's voiced by Dan Castellaneta.
  6. The declaration of International Clown Week was passed into US law by President Richard Nixon on August 2, 1971.
  7. Traditional clowning centres on the relationship between the 'whiteface' (the straight man) and the 'auguste' (foolish or mischievous clown).
  8. All straight man/funny man comedy double acts, such as Laurel and Hardy, are derived from circus clowning.
  9. The first circus clown was called Mr Merryman.
  10. Coulrophobia describes the fear of clowns.
  11. The world's oldest clown society, Clowns International, was founded in 1947.
  12. The first killer clown in fiction appeared in the 1892 Italian opera Pagliacci.
  13. Johnny Burnette had a hit with Clown Shoes, written by PJ Proby.
  14. Ronald McDonald was first played by Williard Scott in a 1963 TV commercial.
  15. Serial killer John Wayne Gacy was a clown known as Pogo.
bozotheclown has died! He was a Vanilla Town!

Day 6 has begun. You may now post.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4111 Post by Chaqa » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 pm

There's six of us left.

BK3K
Bonatogether
Chaqa
KoalaAttack
lfischl
TheFlyingBoat

I don't know that there is someone among us who is a consensus read as town.

With a 4-2 spread, we have the classic debate as to whether we vote or hold for tomorrow.

KoalaAttack

#4112 Post by KoalaAttack » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:09 pm

worcej wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:01 pm
Random Facts about Clowns:
  1. The word clown is believed to come from the Icelandic word klunni, meaning a clumsy person.
  2. The earliest record of the word clown dates from around 1560.
  3. Clowns are nicknamed Joeys after the early 19th century pantomime star Joseph Grimaldi.
  4. Grimaldi was the first panto clown to wear white face make-up instead of a mask.
  5. The full name of Krusty the Clown in The Simpsons is Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yercham Krustosky. He's voiced by Dan Castellaneta.
  6. The declaration of International Clown Week was passed into US law by President Richard Nixon on August 2, 1971.
  7. Traditional clowning centres on the relationship between the 'whiteface' (the straight man) and the 'auguste' (foolish or mischievous clown).
  8. All straight man/funny man comedy double acts, such as Laurel and Hardy, are derived from circus clowning.
  9. The first circus clown was called Mr Merryman.
  10. Coulrophobia describes the fear of clowns.
  11. The world's oldest clown society, Clowns International, was founded in 1947.
  12. The first killer clown in fiction appeared in the 1892 Italian opera Pagliacci.
  13. Johnny Burnette had a hit with Clown Shoes, written by PJ Proby.
  14. Ronald McDonald was first played by Williard Scott in a 1963 TV commercial.
  15. Serial killer John Wayne Gacy was a clown known as Pogo.
bozotheclown has died! He was a Vanilla Town!

Day 6 has begun. You may now post.
Poop again. RIP Bozo, thanks for trying to solve. I will also avoid The Soulless jokes about you. They are all reserved for lfischl at this point.

Bad news is this doesn't exactly narrow down the suspect pool. Good news is Bozo posted a lot recently, so I'm going to go re-read that with them being Confirmed Townie.

KoalaAttack

#4113 Post by KoalaAttack » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:11 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 pm
There's six of us left.

BK3K
Bonatogether
Chaqa
KoalaAttack
lfischl
TheFlyingBoat

With a 4-2 spread, we have the classic debate as to whether we vote or hold for tomorrow.

Can you please elaborate on the classic debate? Wouldn't holding simply run down the timer to give the Mafia team another NK? And then another? Until they win?

KoalaAttack

#4114 Post by KoalaAttack » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:12 pm

And for now, I think I am going to do this – maybe lfischl will materialize and post a Bona-style FrankenPost solving the game for us. But until such time...

##VOTE lfischl

KoalaAttack

#4115 Post by KoalaAttack » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:13 pm

KoalaAttack wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:11 pm
Can you please elaborate on the classic debate? Wouldn't holding simply run down the timer to give the Mafia team another NK? And then another? Until they win?
Also, how is this different from what Balki proposed last game? Or is it the same? I didn't pay as close attention after I died, but we lost the last game though...

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4116 Post by Chaqa » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:24 pm

KoalaAttack wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:11 pm
Chaqa wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 pm
There's six of us left.

BK3K
Bonatogether
Chaqa
KoalaAttack
lfischl
TheFlyingBoat

We can vote no kill today and force mafia to make a kill on someone, eliminating a suspect. Since we don't have anyone who is universally townread, it may be a good option.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4117 Post by Chaqa » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:24 pm

I mean, I'm also down to just vote Lfischl.

BK3K

#4118 Post by BK3K » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:27 pm

I was kinda of buying what bozo was selling. And since bozo is dead, i know he's not Mafia and believed his theory

##vote lfischl

Bonatogether

#4119 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:14 pm

personally i'm in favor of ##vote theflyingboat

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4120 Post by Chaqa » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:30 pm

I want to dig into VCA a bit more before I decide what to do.