MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

#701 Post by ghug » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:48 am

Is anyone else weirded out by Balki's complete lack of pressure to follow through on hammering worcej?

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#702 Post by bo_sox48 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:48 am

Ok ##VOTE bo

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#703 Post by bo_sox48 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:49 am

Wait I’m bo. Fuck you

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#704 Post by ghug » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:50 am

bo_sox48 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:49 am
Wait I’m bo. Fuck you
Your life in two sentences.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#705 Post by Chaqa » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:57 am

So I guess we aren't hammering worcej.

Big sadge.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#706 Post by ghug » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:01 am

Chaqa wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:57 am
So I guess we aren't hammering worcej.

Big sadge.
Worcadge

worcej

#707 Post by worcej » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:03 am

ghug wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:48 am
Is anyone else weirded out by Balki's complete lack of pressure to follow through on hammering worcej?
Not any more than I am about his original claim.

worcej

#708 Post by worcej » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:04 am

ghug wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:50 am
bo_sox48 wrote:
Wait I’m bo. Fuck you
God damn I find your antics to be hilarious sometimes lol

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#709 Post by bo_sox48 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:42 am

worcej wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:04 am
ghug wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:50 am
bo_sox48 wrote:
Wait I’m bo. Fuck you
God damn I find your antics to be hilarious sometimes lol
I always feel bad for people that hold onto rejection for years and years. There’s lots of fish in the sea, ghug

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#710 Post by bo_sox48 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:46 am

##vote worcej

worcej

#711 Post by worcej » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:10 am

bo_sox48 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:46 am
##vote worcej
How dare you…

yavuzovic

#712 Post by yavuzovic » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:22 am

Sorry I was inactive during the night. I'm coming back soon.

KoalaAttack

#713 Post by KoalaAttack » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:25 am

BunnyGo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:46 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:23 pm

I am glad I was around for period ending this time, that was more exciting!

But I have to go back to work, so I have now contributed my hypothesis on Worcej, plus I believe we did a binding vote and these are the results? Makes my decision easy, especially since I will likely miss end of day

##VOTE worcej

PS: While no-one else responded to my long Worcej thread, ghug has been consistently defending them and now wants to void the results of the binding vote. Suspicious.
What was exciting for you?

What do you do for work?

Day doesn't end for almost 48 hours...we have time.

I'm very happy to talk about worcej and ghug. Could you elaborate on what's suspicious about ghug? If one ends up being confirmed town, does that tell you something about the other? What if one ends up being confirmed scum?

Exciting because I got to see the end of a vote in real time.

I'm in tech – have been everything form a developer to an exec.

Sure re time, but I'll most likely be working when the day ends.

Re worcej, I already posted a long thread summarizing the history of our interactions and outlining why I suspect them. The one where worcej said all I did was re-post previous posts. (But of course they would say that if they are Mafia.) In one of my posts I outlined my reasoning. Boils down to either "an experienced player completely mis-reading the situation" which I find hard to believe or "something else going on here". The rest of the posts are for context. But as I also said in that post, I am happy for someone to counter why my reasoning is flawed.

But I don't think that matters anymore. We did a binding vote last night, didn't we? For better or for worse, the worcej vote won (irrespective of my hypothesis being right, and others had other suspicions around them too). On one hand, I agree with the reasoning around the "pool of elimination" that was discussed last night. On the other hand, as I understood it, we essentially told our Gambler – if there is one – to place a bet on the winning vote, being worcej. So if we now fail to do that, we have screwed our Gambler over, no? That seems like a bad outcome to me.

Of course we don't know for 100%. It's a guess. Like any other vote would be a guess. But between a guess that is guaranteed to screw our Gambler over – if there is one – and just-a-guess, I find the former significantly more appealing.

Further, after we did the binding vote, the Mafia crew did not decide to kill the person who was voted. Also suspicious.

Re ghug, they were against the idea of the binding vote from the start as far as I can tell (or at least, kept poking holes in it and "closing doors instead of opening them" as someone said). Oh, I just looked it up – the someone was Hamilton Brian – whom we now established as a Vanilla Townperson in postmortem. And now that the binding vote has happened, ghug posted essentially trying to say "let's call it off". I stand by this combination of actions being quite suspicious!

KoalaAttack

#714 Post by KoalaAttack » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:28 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:25 am
Of course we don't know for 100%. It's a guess. Like any other vote would be a guess. But between a guess that is guaranteed to screw our Gambler over – if there is one – and just-a-guess, I find the former significantly more appealing.
Err typo – I find the latter significantly more appealing, of course! Sticking with the binding vote from last night, that is.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#715 Post by ghug » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:39 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:25 am
BunnyGo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:46 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:23 pm

I am glad I was around for period ending this time, that was more exciting!

But I have to go back to work, so I have now contributed my hypothesis on Worcej, plus I believe we did a binding vote and these are the results? Makes my decision easy, especially since I will likely miss end of day

##VOTE worcej

PS: While no-one else responded to my long Worcej thread, ghug has been consistently defending them and now wants to void the results of the binding vote. Suspicious.
What was exciting for you?

What do you do for work?

Day doesn't end for almost 48 hours...we have time.

I'm very happy to talk about worcej and ghug. Could you elaborate on what's suspicious about ghug? If one ends up being confirmed town, does that tell you something about the other? What if one ends up being confirmed scum?

Exciting because I got to see the end of a vote in real time.

I'm in tech – have been everything form a developer to an exec.

Sure re time, but I'll most likely be working when the day ends.

Re worcej, I already posted a long thread summarizing the history of our interactions and outlining why I suspect them. The one where worcej said all I did was re-post previous posts. (But of course they would say that if they are Mafia.) In one of my posts I outlined my reasoning. Boils down to either "an experienced player completely mis-reading the situation" which I find hard to believe or "something else going on here". The rest of the posts are for context. But as I also said in that post, I am happy for someone to counter why my reasoning is flawed.

But I don't think that matters anymore. We did a binding vote last night, didn't we? For better or for worse, the worcej vote won (irrespective of my hypothesis being right, and others had other suspicions around them too). On one hand, I agree with the reasoning around the "pool of elimination" that was discussed last night. On the other hand, as I understood it, we essentially told our Gambler – if there is one – to place a bet on the winning vote, being worcej. So if we now fail to do that, we have screwed our Gambler over, no? That seems like a bad outcome to me.

Further, after we did the binding vote, the Mafia crew did not decide to kill the person who was voted. Also suspicious.

Re ghug, they were against the idea of the binding vote from the start as far as I can tell (or at least, kept poking holes in it and "closing doors instead of opening them" as someone said). Oh, I just looked it up – the someone was Hamilton Brian – whom we now established as a Vanilla Townperson in postmortem. And now that the binding vote has happened, ghug posted essentially trying to say "let's call it off". I stand by this combination of actions being quite suspicious!
Mmm yeah this guy is town.

KoalaAttack

#716 Post by KoalaAttack » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:42 am

Of, to answer the rest of your questions Bunny so I don't get voted on for missing one again :)

If one ends up being confirmed town, does that tell you something about the other?

- Hmm, not really. Perhaps what we call a weak signal in data science. But causality vs correlation is questionable.

What if one ends up being confirmed scum?

- If we do the binding vote as we discussed last night and worcej is Mafia (I don't like calling folks scum), I would feel a very strong suspicion that so is ghug due to the reasoning outlined above

- If we somehow magically establish that ghug is Mafia, it would be a weaker inference that in the case of worcej being Mafia, but a stronger inference vs the Town scenarios

KoalaAttack

#717 Post by KoalaAttack » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:00 am

This game should have another role Bookmaker, where everyone gets 100 chips and you can privately submit bets on who you currently think is Mafia until you are out. At the end, correct guesses pay out at the-earlier-the-phase-the-higher-the-returns and the winner is announced.

With zero effect on the outcome of the actual game :)

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#718 Post by ghug » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:06 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:00 am
This game should have another role Bookmaker, where everyone gets 100 chips and you can privately submit bets on who you currently think is Mafia until you are out. At the end, correct guesses pay out at the-earlier-the-phase-the-higher-the-returns and the winner is announced.

With zero effect on the outcome of the actual game :)
We had to ban the betting of pizzas on alignments.

KoalaAttack

#719 Post by KoalaAttack » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:10 am

One last post before I go:

While I am currently strongly in favor of following through on the binding vote (due to above reasoning), I did not understand from the posts last night the intention behind hammering. Can someone please explain that to me?

The reason I ask is – I thought you folks said that Townies gather info from interactions? Would it not make sense to just lock the votes end but still let the day run out?

Or is the worry that the voted-on person will use Jedi Mind Trick or Silence of The Lambs' style psychology jiu-jitsu to convince the group to move off the vote? "Lock it in"?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#720 Post by ghug » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:23 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:10 am
One last post before I go:

While I am currently strongly in favor of following through on the binding vote (due to above reasoning), I did not understand from the posts last night the intention behind hammering. Can someone please explain that to me?

The reason I ask is – I thought you folks said that Townies gather info from interactions? Would it not make sense to just lock the votes end but still let the day run out?

Or is the worry that the voted-on person will use Jedi Mind Trick or Silence of The Lambs' style psychology jiu-jitsu to convince the group to move off the vote? "Lock it in"?
In practice, conversation dies once we've unanimously decided on a target, and it's often slow to get moving again after the kill if we let it go too long.