MAFIA 71: "PAPERS PLEASE" - GAME THREAD [Hidden]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
BesharamSabi

Re: MAFIA 71: "PAPERS PLEASE" - GAME THREAD [Hidden]

#381 Post by BesharamSabi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:49 pm

I do agree with a few of yalls assessments on the flying boat man in regards to his style this game.

Maybe it's becuaee it's 14 hours into the game and we haven't gotten a non shit post contribution from him yet. Usually he will post his 300 word posts by now to flex his superiority complex and we haven't gotten that yet.

@TheFlyingBoat

So far whenever you catch up to this, what post so far has caught your eye and why? It can be good or bad.

Why were you concerned about Flum leaving you out of his alliance offer?

If you were supposedly cooking, why did you respond really quickly to ghug about your typo?

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#382 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:50 pm

Nobody is allowed to vote Foxcastle because he is a national treasure.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#383 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Durga wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:42 pm
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:53 pm
What a read.

##vote TheFlyingBoat

He’s playing scared.
How?
He’s clearly been around pretty much the whole time and didn’t offer anything resembling an opinion when meaningful (well least relative to most D1s) things were happening.

brainbomb

#384 Post by brainbomb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:51 pm

We are expecting hurricane force winds today with possible power outages across the city. all the schools are out.
If I vanish please be aware that I may be out of power for an extended amount of time.

they called for 75mph sustained winds with downed power lines and trees. crossing my fingers our christmas inflatables dont go flying off to kansas with dorothy and toto.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#385 Post by rdrivera2005 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:52 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:43 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:39 pm

because he does fuckall as scum and is usually just lurkfest 2020
He has less posts then me, so he is probably a lurker, lol.

I like his posts, but can easily see scum Tom doing the same kind of posts, so it's NAI to me.
any thoughts on durga, chris, bona and tfb
None of them made a big impression on me but I did a really quick read of the first 12 pages. Quick thoughts after looking at bot:

Durga looks relaxed and it's usually a town sign.

I am impressed Bona had 33 posts and I don't remember any.

Chris mostly talked about Discord.

Tfb uses speech to text. And Tom thinks he is playing scared.

brainbomb

#386 Post by brainbomb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:55 pm

durga, relaxed, = town?

I always thought durga being agitated and trying to shut down bad ideas was her moniker

captainmeme

#387 Post by captainmeme » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:56 pm

Hey @Flum since everyone is ignoring my alliance, I'll join yours if you agree to get them to vote no kill?

brainbomb

#388 Post by brainbomb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:57 pm

I guess if durga is town then maybe were in a game where nothing that has been said so far is objectionable other than memes call for alliances and no kills

captainmeme

#389 Post by captainmeme » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:59 pm

I will also accept a brainbomb vote

BesharamSabi

#390 Post by BesharamSabi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
BesharamSabi wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:55 pm
You need to map everyone's connection to everyone else until you identify the two sets of people who are connected to each other (including being connected by how assiduously they they try to remain disconnected

I mean that's a strategy. Is this any similar to how damo does his calculations/formula thing on who is in a scum team together or isn't possible to be on a scum team together?
Yes, but Damo is the worst because he's not actually doing anything but assigning percentage values to his feelings. When Damo says "there's an 62.9485 percent chance that blah blah blah," there's nothing behind that besides what he feels.
The part in parentheses, could you please expand on that for me?
Scum don't want town to be able to draw connections between them. So they give weak reads or bus or lightly defend each other or whatever. But their goal is that if one of their teammate flips, that no one should be able to look back and say "wow, known-scumbo and still-alive-player had something going on!"

As I have said before, you should look for scum in people who don't look scummy.
Asking people to navel-gaze about their inner workings isn't going to tell you much in a game

It does make it easier for me to read them because I get a feel if they are shit poster or a serious player. I rather not waste my energy trying to get a known shit poster to be serious with me. Like I learned that brain bomb pr hunts both as town and scum.
The problem with this is that when I tell you that I'm a Taurus who loves walks on the beach and primarily scum hunts through reaction tests, even if that is all true and I'm town, you're more likely to end up in situations where you're pointing an accusing finger exclaiming, "A real Taurus would not have bottled up their feelings like that! And if you love beaches so much, why didn't you want to go for a walk by the lake last night??? And isn't it interesting that you only reaction tested X and Y, but not Q or J??? AH HA!!!!!111oneone!!!"
I am going to be 100% honest with you (and damo666) I still don't get how yall figure this out. It hasn't clicked in my head fully when I asked about how it was done during the AAR. Like others have said this is a skill/strategy some have and some don't. Maybe this game or in the next one it will finally click for me.

I am all about learning and being a better player.

you should look for scum in people who don't look scummy

So town clears should be held under a microscope?

So far in this game, besides me, who have you tried thie method on?

I'm regards to my question about play style, I think you are misunderstanding my point for these questions. I am not using this as a gotcha type thing as evidence for some wagon I'm building. It's quite the opposite actually.

brainbomb

#391 Post by brainbomb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:06 pm

my clifton strength finders has me as
strategic
futuristic
empathy
positivity
ideation

for anyone new who hasnt met me.

Durga

#392 Post by Durga » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:12 pm

captainmeme wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:56 pm
Hey @Flum since everyone is ignoring my alliance, I'll join yours if you agree to get them to vote no kill?
Just because you make 7 hour long diplomacy content videos with Ezio doesn't mean you have to channel him for this game

Durga

#393 Post by Durga » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:13 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:50 pm
Retweet

Durga

#394 Post by Durga » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:14 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:51 pm
Durga wrote:
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:53 pm
What a read.

##vote TheFlyingBoat

He’s playing scared.
How?
He’s clearly been around pretty much the whole time and didn’t offer anything resembling an opinion when meaningful (well least relative to most D1s) things were happening.
I read him so fucking wrong last game for joking around d1 so who knows

BesharamSabi

#395 Post by BesharamSabi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:16 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:50 pm
Why is he on the do not vote list?

Like I read his post and while I do appreciate him trying to change my thinking and playing process, I don't get how he is a national treasure. Seems very much like any other player in this game. He is giving me if damo and squigs had a baby vibe of that makes sense.

If this was just a shit post then please disregard these questions. Sorry for wasting your time.

Durga

#396 Post by Durga » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:16 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:57 pm
I guess if durga is town then maybe were in a game where nothing that has been said so far is objectionable other than memes call for alliances and no kills
I'm actually a lot nicer than I used to be

Foxcastle

#397 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:18 pm

BesharamSabi wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:59 pm
I am going to be 100% honest with you (and damo666) I still don't get how yall figure this out. It hasn't clicked in my head fully when I asked about how it was done during the AAR. Like others have said this is a skill/strategy some have and some don't. Maybe this game or in the next one it will finally click for me.

I am all about learning and being a better player.
Just have fun and don't take it too seriously. Nobody has this figured out, they've just found a way to lie to themselves that they have a strategy that is better than a random number generator.
you should look for scum in people who don't look scummy

So town clears should be held under a microscope?

So far in this game, besides me, who have you tried thie method on?
Obviously not town that have been mechanically cleared.

But yes, the people you feel really, really good about? That's because some of them have worked hard to make sure you feel really, really good about them. While the people you suspect look sketchy because they are trying different things, changing their minds, being indecisive, admitting they don't know, chasing down wrong leads that they didn't know were wrong at the expense of correct calls that they didn't know were correct, and not worrying as much about making you think they look good.

There are townies who look townie, and scum who look scummy, and vice versa. But always remember that scum have the incentive to avoid drawing suspicion.
I'm regards to my question about play style, I think you are misunderstanding my point for these questions. I am not using this as a gotcha type thing as evidence for some wagon I'm building. It's quite the opposite actually.
I'm not accusing you of setting up gotcha question. But you risk anchoring how you think about a player on how they say they play, when in reality, nobody plays consistently. And then when you see inconsistency between how someone said they play and how they actually play, your brain will be suspicious, because your brain is actually really bad about telling the difference between a game of forum mafia and life-and-death situations where your continued existence relies on being able to identify threats.

(Pop quiz! Do you know who has the most incentive to play consistently...?)

brainbomb

#398 Post by brainbomb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Durga wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:16 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:57 pm
I'm actually a lot nicer than I used to be
Me too. fatherhood completely changed my outlook and attitude.

Foxcastle

#399 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:19 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:51 pm
We are expecting hurricane force winds today with possible power outages across the city. all the schools are out.
If I vanish please be aware that I may be out of power for an extended amount of time.

they called for 75mph sustained winds with downed power lines and trees. crossing my fingers our christmas inflatables dont go flying off to kansas with dorothy and toto.
Stay safe, Brain.

brainbomb

#400 Post by brainbomb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:20 pm

maybe fox is just being a little to feel goodey for my liking