MAFIA 71: "PAPERS PLEASE" - GAME THREAD [Hidden]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
BesharamSabi

Re: MAFIA 71: "PAPERS PLEASE" - GAME THREAD [Hidden]

#101 Post by BesharamSabi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:14 am

President Eden wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:06 am
BesharamSabi wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:00 am
In regards to contributing to the game: a series of never ending questions to me and not one deez nutz reference which is amazing.
What does it mean to you to contribute, then? Because it’s certainly possible to ask a bunch of questions and not come to any conclusions, which I wouldn’t consider a contribution.
BesharamSabi wrote:
I’m regards to how kills are set up: So there is two night kills but town only gets one day kill? That seems a bit unfair to me. What is the lylo/kylo math on how many miskills town is allowed before we are fucked?
I’m not sure. The numbers get tricky when multiple factions are involved, because each faction competes against each other as well as the town. We could plausibly end a day without a majority and then still win handily if the mafia shoot each other. For instance, we could lose our majority as soon as Day 3 (two misses plus a missed dayvig), but the mafia would almost certainly care more about ridding the game of each other than the remaining town at that point.

The mafia also meaningfully lack perfect information, so their control over the pace of the game is far from assured.
OMG eden stop with these endless questions about contribution. I beg you. I have no idea how to give you a meaningful answer lol.

So I guess the two mafia teams don't know each other and rather kill town they kill each other. Somehow a town person is stuck in the crossfire. What is this, West side story? Well I'm glad scum teams are more focused on each other than killing town.

lfischl

#102 Post by lfischl » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:14 am

President Eden wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:14 am
lfischl wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:11 am
President Eden wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:10 am
##UNVOTE
##VOTE Durga
why?
This vote increases my odds of voting for mafia from 0% to not-0%.
Why do you think she is mafia though.

ChrisVis

#103 Post by ChrisVis » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:14 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:54 am
hi chris

lurking bad :x

I'm not sure why remaining silent would necessarily be considered "lurking". Lurking certainly has a negative connotation, so I'm inclined to believe that lurking is bad.

I'm going to interpret your advice as "Remaining silent is bad." and while I don't understand why it should be "bad", I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you were genuinely trying to help me. So, thanks for your help, Bona!

I can't keep up with reading all the posts, and now that I've wasted more time writing a post myself, I'll be way behind on the reading. So, you won't hear anything more from me for a while.

P.S. How did you know I wasn't sleeping?

TheFlyingBoat

#104 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:15 am

BesharamSabi wrote:
I'm regards to how kills are set up: So there is two night kills but town only gets one day kill? That seems a bit unfair to me. What is the lylo/kylo math on how many miskills town is allowed before we are fucked?
I mean technically town gets two if you include the day vig. But also I wouldn't look at the game like that. The mafia will likely at some point shoot a mafia member of the other team, so it's not like an ordinary game where mafia NKs are strictly bad. Hell so long as both team are alive it's possible to go into the night with two scum and a vt and for town to win if both scum point their guns at the other. That complicates lylo math a lot. And if an entire scum team is knocked out then the math just becomes the normal math I guess.

TheFlyingBoat

#105 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:15 am

ChrisVis wrote:
Bonatogether wrote:
hi chris

I'm not sure why remaining silent would necessarily be considered "lurking". Lurking certainly has a negative connotation, so I'm inclined to believe that lurking is bad.

I'm going to interpret your advice as "Remaining silent is bad." and while I don't understand why it should be "bad", I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you were genuinely trying to help me. So, thanks for your help, Bona!

I can't keep up with reading all the posts, and now that I've wasted more time writing a post myself, I'll be way behind on the reading. So, you won't hear anything more from me for a while.

He saw you were playing games based on your discord and called you a nerd.

lfischl

#106 Post by lfischl » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:16 am

ChrisVis wrote:
Bonatogether wrote:
hi chris

I learned this the hard way multiple times, but you are more likely to be voted out if you are not doing much, rather than being an active member of the game.

lfischl

#107 Post by lfischl » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:18 am

lfischl wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:16 am
ChrisVis wrote:
Bonatogether wrote:
hi chris

I learned this the hard way multiple times, but you are more likely to be voted out if you are not doing much, rather than being an active member of the game.
Also most of early D1 is shitposting and you don't really need to read too much into it.

brainbomb

#108 Post by brainbomb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:21 am

everytime I go to say something I realize I have nothing to say.
Snowy would be proud of me😔

President Eden

#109 Post by President Eden » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:21 am

BesharamSabi wrote:
OMG eden stop with these endless questions about contribution. I beg you. I have no idea how to give you a meaningful answer lol.
I’m only asking to refine your process. We’ll get to a meaningful answer. We’re going to be working together for a while this game, and you want to keep learning and growing as a player. There will be a lot of questions and you will be even better by the end of it 8-)
You used the word “contribute.” In the context of mafia, what does that mean to you? (I happen to think I did contribute, but I don’t think it’s in the way you meant.)
BesharamSabi wrote:
So I guess the two mafia teams don’t know each other and rather kill town they kill each other. Somehow a town person is stuck in the crossfire. What is this, West side story? Well I’m glad scum teams are more focused on each other than killing town.
It’s up in the air. They need to keep town divided, but they also need to eliminate each other. Multiple-mafia games play meaningfully differently from regular mafia games, but you can still apply a lot of the same town lessons from previous games.

President Eden

#110 Post by President Eden » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:21 am

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:21 am
You’re in luck, last time I said this plenty of things happened :lol:

TheFlyingBoat

#111 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 am

##Vote Eden

I feel like it would be a fun thing to do for now

President Eden

#112 Post by President Eden » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:23 am

lfischl wrote:
President Eden wrote:
lfischl wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:11 am

why?
This vote increases my odds of voting for mafia from 0% to not-0%.
Why do you think she is mafia though.
I’m not going to confirm what I think about Durga’s alignment.

I like your activity level and questioning, however. Keep it up.

BesharamSabi

#113 Post by BesharamSabi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:24 am

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:15 am
BesharamSabi wrote:
I'm regards to how kills are set up: So there is two night kills but town only gets one day kill? That seems a bit unfair to me. What is the lylo/kylo math on how many miskills town is allowed before we are fucked?
I mean technically town gets two if you include the day vig. But also I wouldn't look at the game like that. The mafia will likely at some point shoot a mafia member of the other team, so it's not like an ordinary game where mafia NKs are strictly bad. Hell so long as both team are alive it's possible to go into the night with two scum and a vt and for town to win if both scum point their guns at the other. That complicates lylo math a lot. And if an entire scum team is knocked out then the math just becomes the normal math I guess.
Ahh I miss the dayvig kill OK so that seems a lot more balance and fair to me. I guess it's going to be a blood bath at every eod/eon. Thank you for the explanation. This clears up a lot for me and helps me reframe how I think about this game.

How many of two mafia team games have you played before, by the way?

brainbomb

#114 Post by brainbomb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:24 am

President Eden wrote:
brainbomb wrote:
You’re in luck, last time I said this plenty of things happened :lol:
its not that things arent happening. im sure things are happening.

brainbomb

#115 Post by brainbomb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:25 am

this is a pretty pudwacker part of the game to be doling out handjobs to anyone who asks a few questions

President Eden

#116 Post by President Eden » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:25 am

@Chris, in Discord click the gear icon on the bottom left next to the headphones, scroll down to “Activity Status” under “Activity Settings,” and toggle “Display current activity as a status message.” (The bubble should go from green to grey.) Discord’s default setting is unfortunately very intrusive.

kgray
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#117 Post by kgray » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:26 am

President Eden wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:06 am
BesharamSabi wrote:
In regards to contributing to the game: a series of never ending questions to me and not one deez nutz reference which is amazing.
What does it mean to you to contribute, then? Because it’s certainly possible to ask a bunch of questions and not come to any conclusions, which I wouldn’t consider a contribution.
BesharamSabi wrote:
I’m regards to how kills are set up: So there is two night kills but town only gets one day kill? That seems a bit unfair to me. What is the lylo/kylo math on how many miskills town is allowed before we are fucked?
I’m not sure. The numbers get tricky when multiple factions are involved, because each faction competes against each other as well as the town. We could plausibly end a day without a majority and then still win handily if the mafia shoot each other. For instance, we could lose our majority as soon as Day 3 (two misses plus a missed dayvig), but the mafia would almost certainly care more about ridding the game of each other than the remaining town at that point.

The mafia also meaningfully lack perfect information, so their control over the pace of the game is far from assured.
Interesting that Eden glosses over the part where Sabi thinks the maf teams know each other. Anyone else want to think about what that means?

ChrisVis

#118 Post by ChrisVis » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:29 am

lfischl wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:01 am

heh. sorry if this sounds a little ironic but I would like to hear from ChrisVis at least once while he is here. I believe bona also said this.
Now you've heard from me twice. How did YOU know I wasn't sleeping?

Bonatogether

#119 Post by Bonatogether » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:30 am

ChrisVis wrote:
Bonatogether wrote:
hi chris

remaining is silent is bad for two reasons:

you can't be read
you can't read as well since you don't know one person's alignment. reading someone else's conversation isn't as helpful as having your own cause in your own you know one person's alignment and mind set for sure

BesharamSabi

#120 Post by BesharamSabi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:32 am

President Eden wrote:
BesharamSabi wrote:
I’m only asking to refine your process. We’ll get to a meaningful answer. We’re going to be working together for a while this game, and you want to keep learning and growing as a player. There will be a lot of questions and you will be even better by the end of it 8-)
You used the word “contribute.” In the context of mafia, what does that mean to you? (I happen to think I did contribute, but I don’t think it’s in the way you meant.)
BesharamSabi wrote:
So I guess the two mafia teams don’t know each other and rather kill town they kill each other. Somehow a town person is stuck in the crossfire. What is this, West side story? Well I’m glad scum teams are more focused on each other than killing town.
It’s up in the air. They need to keep town divided, but they also need to eliminate each other. Multiple-mafia games play meaningfully differently from regular mafia games, but you can still apply a lot of the same town lessons from previous games.
Well I guess I do appreciate you trying to help me be a better player. I dunno why you want to but it's nice of you to help me out. What happens if I don't get better and not meet your expectations of me? Sad emoji face here.

In regards to contributing, I really don't know why I used that for mafia besides to say I doubt anyone would produce a genuine answer to those questions. Maybe I used the wrong word. What do you feel like you contributed and why do you think I missed it?

I see in regards to multi mafia teams. Have you played any games with multiple mafia before?