Site certification expired

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
thatwasawkward

Site certification expired

#1 Post by thatwasawkward » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:48 pm

No disrespect intended, but this site's certificate has expired again, so attempting to visit just gives you this browser warning in Chrome:
Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from webdiplomacy.net (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Setting up an automated process to renew the cert is, frankly, pretty trivial. Curious why it hasn't been done yet.

pyxxy
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Site certification expired

#2 Post by pyxxy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:59 pm

thatwasawkward wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:48 pm
No disrespect intended...

Setting up an automated process to renew the cert is, frankly, pretty trivial. Curious why it hasn't been done yet.
I assume you mean well, but given that:
1. there's already a forum thread about this
2. it's already been brought up to the devs in the webdip discord
3. dev work is unpaid for this site
4. neither you nor I has a technical understanding of how the website currently runs? unless you've worked on it before? I've built websites that auto-renew with lets encrypt but idk the specific setup for webdip, which could complicate things

you might do better to phrase your question more generously, e.g.:
"I've noticed this has happened before, if there anything we can do to help implement an automatic cert renewal process for the site?"

Calling it "trivial" kinda defeats the purpose of opening with "no disrespect intended".

ubercacher16

#3 Post by ubercacher16 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:15 am

I find that when people say no ______ intended ______ is always present.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by Szpoti » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:44 am

ubercacher16 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:15 am
I find that when people say no ______ intended ______ is always present.
These are typical fake disclaimers, like 'I have nothing against X, but...', or 'I'm not a racist, but...'. Whatever falls after 'but' makes the disclaimer redundant, or perhaps even sarcastic.

Hithlum

#5 Post by Hithlum » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:32 am

I think the mods are doing a fine job. All it takes is a request to pause and you're saved.

Jamiet99uk

#6 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:39 pm

Don't berate the person who created this thread.

This is the most prominent thread on the Forum that I can see, about this topic, and it's a fairly serious, and basic problem, that the people running the site should have under control, whether they are paid or not.

And, apparently, they don't.

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#7 Post by A_Tin_Can » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:03 pm

Jamiet, it’s good to see that you haven’t become any less ungrateful in the six years since I stopped moderating the site. If you’re still unhappy, I’m sure you’re entitled to a refund on your monthly subscription. Well, I’m sure you’re entitled, at least.

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:23 pm

A_Tin_Can wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:03 pm
Jamiet, it’s good to see that you haven’t become any less ungrateful in the six years since I stopped moderating the site. If you’re still unhappy, I’m sure you’re entitled to a refund on your monthly subscription. Well, I’m sure you’re entitled, at least.
Whatever.

You run a website, any website, you'd think you'd be able to keep the security certificates up to date, no?

This seems to be something the rest of the internet thinks is a basic requirement, hence the warnings a lot of us are getting when trying to access the site.

I'm totally ungrateful for your efforts personally because you always made it clear you didn't care about the views of actual site users.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:30 am

It's good to see that the same love and warmth I felt from day to day back in 2015 still exists.

I'm sorry that the certificates are expired and I'm sorry that the site is down. Renewing certificates is an extremely easy (and automated) task, but we are mired down by a set of extenuating circumstances that I'm not going to discuss other than to say that they have us stopped in our tracks right now. We're working on getting that resolved. It's frustrating to everyone, moderators and developers included, that this has become such a headache now culminating with the site being largely at a standstill for the last few hours. Nonetheless, our hands are tied for the moment until we resolve that ongoing issue. If it were as simple as renewing certificates we'd have taken care of it in minutes.

There is nothing okay with this and we not only recognize but understand and share your frustration. Just be patient for now please.

Strauss

#10 Post by Strauss » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:00 pm

Go ahead, we have trust in you.

TooCoolSunday

#11 Post by TooCoolSunday » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Do we know how long the fix will take?

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:07 pm

I have no doubt that the webDip leadership are dealing with the issue like swans. Unseen beneath the water the legs are furiously working, whilst up above the membership either admire the serene beauty of it all or take potshots depending on their nature.

A bit of a heads up on what the problem is or at least guesstimate of when it might be resolved would go down well, though. It is far easier to be understanding when you are invited to understand what's going on.

thatwasawkward

#13 Post by thatwasawkward » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:27 pm

I'm terribly sorry I didn't notice there's already a forum thread about this -- Oddly enough having Chrome warn you the site is unsafe every single time you load a page kind of makes it difficult to navigate the site and find information. Who'd have thought?

Glad to see this place is still as full of drama as ever. Could I have phrased my post more generously/diplomatically? Could I have been more deferential to the great work the devs do out of their love for the project? Absolutely, that's on me. But also: Don't try to make the issue about me. It's not. The simple fact is an absence of constant browser security warnings is kind of an expectation for a site in production. I'm not sure why some people expect to have that sugar-coated.

pyxxy
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#14 Post by pyxxy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:34 pm

thatwasawkward wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:27 pm
Don't try to make the issue about me.
Yes, sorry about that. I think I phrased my response too directly. Didn't want to cause a pile on in either direction, towards you (thatwasawkward) or towards the devs. But I think all I did was bring more attention to your post :/ I'm not trying to ignore site issues and sugarcoat problems. I just wanted productive questions instead of stuff like:
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:23 pm
Whatever.

Ogion

#15 Post by Ogion » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:59 pm

For what it's worth, I'm grateful that folks are working to get the site back up, whenever that happens.

JECE

#16 Post by JECE » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:39 pm

thatwasawkward wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:27 pm
I'm terribly sorry I didn't notice there's already a forum thread about this -- Oddly enough having Chrome warn you the site is unsafe every single time you load a page kind of makes it difficult to navigate the site and find information. Who'd have thought?
Your really should check out that other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&p=237037

There are some good tips in that thread on how to avoid the browser security warnings.

Also, FYI, the easiest place to find recent forum posts is actually right on the Home tab, so you don't need to do much navigating if you know where to look

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#17 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:18 am

pyxxy wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:34 pm
Yes, sorry about that. I think I phrased my response too directly. Didn't want to cause a pile on in either direction, towards you (thatwasawkward) or towards the devs. But I think all I did was bring more attention to your post :/ I'm not trying to ignore site issues and sugarcoat problems. I just wanted productive questions instead of stuff like:
FWIW, I think your initial post was very well balanced, and I for one appreciate seeing contributors like that on the forum. :-)

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#18 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:35 am

Octavious wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:07 pm
I have no doubt that the webDip leadership are dealing with the issue like swans. Unseen beneath the water the legs are furiously working, whilst up above the membership either admire the serene beauty of it all or take potshots depending on their nature.

A bit of a heads up on what the problem is or at least guesstimate of when it might be resolved would go down well, though. It is far easier to be understanding when you are invited to understand what's going on.
Unfortunately you all do share our level of understanding currently. My hope is soon, but I don't know how to resolve this with the odd circumstances bo mentioned earlier, so I can't promise a time frame. The short version is the urls are different than normal to account for an upcoming server move, and due to that the way the cert was setup to renew doesn't work. So we're reaching out to our benevolent overlord and awaiting Kestas's reply.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#19 Post by flash2015 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:17 pm

With all the warmth and love being thrown around...I thought it may be important to make everyone aware that an important milestone is about to be reached.

As of today, I am only 3 short of 1000 +1s...

This could be the thread where history is made! +1 this post and be a part of this joyous event!

0k0k0

#20 Post by 0k0k0 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the legs paddling under the water to resolve the issue!
Let's make this 1001 night message
love you all