MAFIA 66: The Battle for Olympus - Game Thread [hidden]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
celaph

Re: MAFIA 66: The Battle for Olympus - Game Thread [hidden]

#681 Post by celaph » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 am

ghug wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 am
Bonatogether wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:00 am
Bonatogether wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:46 am

Well for starters you all agree that the votes on me were dumb lol. I'll try and dig some more specific stuff in a bit.
Celaph:
celaph wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:33 pm
celaph wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:19 am
celaph wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:50 am
I could go on, but this is absolutely classic town!celaph.

kgray:
kgray wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:54 pm
this post isn't especially townie but i'd like a record of it for later anyways
kgray wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:12 pm
i had this same thought but didn't post it cause I don't post a lot of things I think
kgray wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:13 pm
I like this comment a lot too for drilling into brain
ghug:
ghug wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:22 pm
also taking a shot at brain
on reread ghug does a fair amount of echoing kgray (especially pretty recently) I'm not as sure about him anymore, but still townlean him.
Why are you falsely ascribing quotes to me? Why are you posting a series of celaph quotes with no words? Stop being weird.
It's a confusing way to post this, but the words in the quotes are Bona's thoughts on each quote (best I can tell). If you click on the arrow it leads you to the quote he apparently likes.

The tl;dr for his post seems to be that Bona townreads the people who criticized brain which leaves me feeling icky.

worcej

#682 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:02 am

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:20 pm
I dont personally think my game will be affected by what town pr or scum pr are in play. I have no interest or desire to care about such details unless scum somehow slips through a fake pr claim and that happens so seldom I cant imagine why we should give a shit
FWIW, you've pointed out why I'm not going to move my vote off a PR claim this game near any EOD.

Scum have one role they know they can claim and get away with it.

worcej

#683 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:08 am

foodcoats wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 pm
I don't like not having a vote so I will go to where my guts are gutting at:

##VOTE worcej
8-)

worcej

#684 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:25 pm
foodcoats wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 pm
I don't like not having a vote so I will go to where my guts are gutting at:

##VOTE worcej
why worcej? He hasn't done much, but there's a ton of people like that?
He didn't like me calling him a lurker and stating that I mix him up with flash (and flash with food) all the time.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#685 Post by ghug » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 am

celaph wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 am
ghug wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 am
Bonatogether wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:00 am

Celaph:

I could go on, but this is absolutely classic town!celaph.

kgray:

ghug:

on reread ghug does a fair amount of echoing kgray (especially pretty recently) I'm not as sure about him anymore, but still townlean him.
Why are you falsely ascribing quotes to me? Why are you posting a series of celaph quotes with no words? Stop being weird.
It's a confusing way to post this, but the words in the quotes are Bona's thoughts on each quote (best I can tell). If you click on the arrow it leads you to the quote he apparently likes.

The tl;dr for his post seems to be that Bona townreads the people who criticized brain which leaves me feeling icky.
Yeah, I surmised that. It takes extra time to sort out, and it's bound to lead to some people thinking bona's thoughts are others', so I'm strongly suggesting that he should stop.

Vecna

#686 Post by Vecna » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:19 am

yavuzovic wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:53 pm
I don't have solid arguements for the following people but I got some impressions by reading the old pages:
Town leaning reads:
ghug
kgray
jamiet99uk
celaph
Scum leaning reads:
Bonatogether

Also Hamilton Brian 's posts sound like a novice mafia. I think I will vote for him. ##vote Hamilton Brian
Didnt you say like, twice...that you thought I was town?

worcej

#687 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:35 am

foodcoats wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 pm
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:56 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:25 pm

why worcej? He hasn't done much, but there's a ton of people like that?
Yeah, doing the quick read of Worcej I'd say it's pretty ambivalent. Nothing leading either way.
Several reasons. Built up over time.

1. Calling brainbomb scum for saying wise things. I don't like people calling down other people for trying to help town, because the circuitous argument of "scum can pose as town by trying to help town, therefore helping town is scummy" is stupid and counterproductive, but - it's obviously jokey, and his first post, so I can write this off. Well within worcej's meta.

2. Calling D1 boring and using that as a method to disengage. It's an approach that could be covertly encouraging everyone to disengage ("this is boring, don't play, I'm not going to, why are you?"), or provide cover by making laziness seem borne of wisdom ("I have played many games and I know D1 is irrelevant, therefore... let's all have a nap"), both of which are scum-motivated. D1 is still important for everyone to play because of the data it gives us for later. But, still, jokey, within-meta. Hmm...

3. Where the previous comments become the groundwork for something truly scummy is worcej offhandedly claiming my meta is to lurk. That's dead wrong. I know worcej plays in probably every game, and I've only played in a handful, but - if worcej truly doesn't remember that I'm, like, the opposite of a lurker - worcej is also probably smart and experienced enough to know that he doesn't actually know; but he paints it as though he does know, with certainty, that I lurk. When kgray confronts him, he says people blend together for him, and he may have confused me with flash. I just... don't see how that's possible, as I probably write more in one post than flash does in a whole game, and flash has played in quite a few games and should be well-known to worcej. So this seems like worcej lazily scum-spewing, getting caught, and giving a lazy answer.

4. Finally, advocating that voting out players who are strong as scum is a legitimate strategy. Maybe it is a legitimate strategy, but I remember very clearly from several games with worcej that he gets really worked up about working hard for town and how no one player matters for town. Now, this seems to jive with "we can vote that person out because they are strong as scum, so let's make sure they are not scum by voting them out," except that the discussion was also considering kgray in particular and how she is strong as both alignments. So worcej in this context is subtly advocating for a kgray votekill, even though town should, theoretically, be both wary and cooperative of a player who can do good things for town, even if she can also do good things for scum.

I did mention early on that I am cautious of voting worcej D1 because I find his D1s scummy even when he's town (I've said this in other games, too, I'm quite sure) but there is a chain of things here that looks like he's trying to prod bad decisions out of town. Normally he's just plain jokey I'd say, and off the cuff and random, but here he is actively proposing information and strategies that should be obviously wrong to a player of his competence.
I love this post. Time to respond:

To #1:
You presented an example but said it falls into my meta, so is this really a reason or just a bullshit attempt at increasing the count of issues?

To #2:
This D1 is boring. Sorry to burst your bubble, it just is. Also, you continue to state this is par for the course with me... are you going to make a point yet?

To #3:
Addressed this already - but you're drawing a connection between two statements I've made in different context. One was a direct response to a pointed question by you and the other was a compliment of If I wanted kgray to be the daykill, I'd actually push her. I am not subtle and I am not indirect, I am the exact opposite of those two things.

And to be clear, the bad decision I am 'proding the town' to do is vote good scum players out early right?

Vecna

#688 Post by Vecna » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:37 am

foodcoats wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:01 am
Vecna wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 am
kgray wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:10 am

:nmr:

You don't get townpoints for this anymore.
bit boring of a response that sort of feels like its coming from a place of "I guess I -have- to do this".
Vecna, were you suggesting there was anything alignment indicative here?
Yeah, Kgray hasnt displayed her usual towntelling to me just yet.

Which is odd, because I literally told her what the magic trick is, so you'd think she'd try to fake it as scum.

worcej

#689 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:38 am

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:15 pm
no one has mentioned belCavendishNY

I am doubting this player is actually even playing. they didnt confirm and most likely are not even reading. If this person was scum I wonder if someone from scum wouldve brought them up by now.
I anticipate a modkill or sub and haven't bothered to care.

This is the dice we roll with new people.

worcej

#690 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:39 am

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 pm
I’m really feeling uninspired by this JamieT catchup. It feels like he is seizing upon regurgitated moments that have already been pointed out. And that makes me think hes just doing what he thinks he usually does
Also my take - Jamie's entrance was rather different than normal.

Vecna

#691 Post by Vecna » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 am

celaph wrote:
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:30 pm
foodcoats wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:04 am

Damo hates fun. I think this suggests damo is town.
what about kakarrotto has been fun so far?
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:33 pm
thats now two people who have defended kak, stating he was fun, or wacky, or both
What I dislike here is that you're framing this as an achievement or a gotcha while totally removing it from the context that it was in. The post you're quoting was from 3 hours into D1. Food has found kak fun on the basis of a single message at the time, that message being the one encouraging people to engage in the flavor and play as minor gods. The hardly qualifies as a real defense.

Has kak been wacky or fun since then? Obviously not, he hasn't done anything. But given the timing and context that says very little about food imo.
Taking a mental note of this post. Also noting Celaph hasnt done his happy posting yet. While Kgray is in the game again.

Id have expected the two of them to be happy to play together again. Yet they have foregone all interaction alltogether?

Does this mean something?

BobMcBob

#692 Post by BobMcBob » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 am

Day One Vote Count 3.0:

Maniac (3): ghug, Vecna, dargorygel
foodcoats (2): Chaqa, Bonatogether
dargorygel (2): Kakarroto, kgray
Jamiet99uk (1): Maniac
Kakarroto (1): damo666
worcej (1): foodcoats
Hamilton Brian (1): yavuzovic
Bonatogether (1): brainbomb

Not voted (8): belCavendishNY, celaph, DemonRHK, Hamilton Brian, Jamiet99uk, Macca573, rdrivera2005, worcej

belCavendishNY has yet to meet the minimum post requirement (two posts). Eight players have yet to make the minimum vote requirement (one).

Currently Maniac is set to be thrown in a precipice.

You have 14 hours and 19 minutes remaining.

Vecna

#693 Post by Vecna » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:44 am

foodcoats wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:40 am
Rereading celaph’s iso reminds me a bit of my own scum play. There are some big analytical posts that seem lacking in emotional punch, immediacy, context.

With this in mind, I wonder if celaph is scum, is bona also scum parking a vote to eventually leverage that into distancing/defending or something? Bona has scum reads, has said he town leans celaph, and yet is still parking. Seems unfavourable to town. In addition bona is pretty aggro but not towards celaph, who he is “watching”?

Chaqa’s iso feels too cutting and analytical to be scum Chaqa so I feel good about town!Chaqa.

Slightly aggravating that Kak and Macca get temporary passes find they pre-claimed absence. Rereading rdr’s intro makes me think scummy again.

HB seems pretty naively town. I don’t have any meta so not sure if that’s telling in any way.
Foodcoats keeps flipping between "wtf is he writing now" to "damn, thats pretty good".

Some thoughts are approaching the "I dont see this coming from scum" territory too.

Vecna

#694 Post by Vecna » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:46 am

foodcoats wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:49 am
yavuzovic wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:27 am
Bonatogether wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:09 am

I do not townread Vecna as strongly as people seem to think. He's more very soft town, but I would use that phrasing regardless of my perception of the other player.
I know that you didn't say you townread him. You just assumed that Vecna is town as if you knew this already.
Hmmmm rereading that thread is interesting. But... I dunno, why does Bona saying Vecna can’t “read into” something imply bona KNOWS Vecna is town, hence scum?

Yavu you seem to be reaching to latch onto something that was a reach in the first place... but it’s also odd that bona ACCEPTS that people think he townreads Vecna. Quickly scanning bona’s iso again and he never claims it, he even distances from it by saying “whether or not Vecna is town” (paraphrasing). So that’s very bizarre. It seems to me town would say “dafuq when i townread vecna?”
And its also telling that he's the one that makes this point. I felt that way, but didnt say anything about it yet.

But the analysis of Bona's progression is pretty good.

(Like, I get why brain made the post to begin with though - I think I get the argument/sentiment he had, but he just phrased it in a way that most people will misunderstand what he meant).

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#695 Post by ghug » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:48 am

worcej wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:38 am
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:15 pm
no one has mentioned belCavendishNY

I am doubting this player is actually even playing. they didnt confirm and most likely are not even reading. If this person was scum I wonder if someone from scum wouldve brought them up by now.
I anticipate a modkill or sub and haven't bothered to care.

This is the dice we roll with new people.
Why we include a new player who doesn't confirm is beyond me.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#696 Post by ghug » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:50 am

Vecna wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 am
celaph wrote:
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:30 pm

what about kakarrotto has been fun so far?
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:33 pm
thats now two people who have defended kak, stating he was fun, or wacky, or both
What I dislike here is that you're framing this as an achievement or a gotcha while totally removing it from the context that it was in. The post you're quoting was from 3 hours into D1. Food has found kak fun on the basis of a single message at the time, that message being the one encouraging people to engage in the flavor and play as minor gods. The hardly qualifies as a real defense.

Has kak been wacky or fun since then? Obviously not, he hasn't done anything. But given the timing and context that says very little about food imo.
Taking a mental note of this post. Also noting Celaph hasnt done his happy posting yet. While Kgray is in the game again.

Id have expected the two of them to be happy to play together again. Yet they have foregone all interaction alltogether?

Does this mean something?
Maniac, brain, kgray, celaph, darg. Easy peasy.

Vecna

#697 Post by Vecna » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:54 am

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:50 am
so HB is naively town and Novice Scum. and not a single one of kgray, ghug, vecna, maniac, damo, or Jamie has any opinion on Hamilton. players who all have more logged hours playing with hamilton than any of us
Yeah, saying the kids hard to read is an understatement.

Suffice it to say. his odd play isnt that surprising to me

worcej

#698 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 am

ghug wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:18 am
celaph wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:56 pm
Maniac wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 pm
Also foodcoats isn't scum, or if he is I'm going to give up playing.
Can you say more about this?
Hi, Green party spokesperson here. Stop eating meat and driving cars.

Foodcoats has displayed a metric fuckton of giving a fuck without giving a fuck. He's actively speaking his mind and trying to create discussion, but he's made embarrassing mistakes and posted walls of hedgey, stream of consciousness fluff. Feels pretty damn townie to me.
My opinion too.

And before you say it food, I am not pocketing you.

worcej

#699 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:58 am

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:41 am
Bonatogether wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:34 am
foodcoats wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:17 am

Bona, you’ve pointed out a lot of things you don’t like. What have you really liked so far? Who do you townread?
I like celaph, kgray, and ghug so far. Most people are only slightly one way or the other so far, but they stand out to me.
nice reads yav
Perhaps I am too tired, but are you poking at yav or bona here?

worcej

#700 Post by worcej » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:02 am

kgray wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:06 am
yavuzovic wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:23 am
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:59 pm

what does a novice mafia do that an expert mafia or amatuer mafia do
He tries to make baseless arguements to look like he is reading but actually he isn't. He is observing but tries to keep his distance.
Hmm. I wouldn't characterize Hamilton as making any arguments so far. He's asked a few questions and his comments have mostly just been stating what others have said/done.
So... what are we even doing anymore?

##vote Hamilton

We got'em boy'z!