MAFIA 66: The Battle for Olympus - Game Thread [hidden]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: MAFIA 66: The Battle for Olympus - Game Thread [hidden]

#281 Post by Hamilton Brian » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:50 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm
Christ, 6 different set-ups. Pretty devious. Anyway, reading where scum would be able to tell which set-up is in play based on the roles. But I don't think we get that lucky with eliminating mafia to get the same info. Doesn't really matter, I guess?
did you have any of these thoughts in pregame?
Absolutely not. Just blindly looking at my schedule and thought, "Sign up." My ADHD causes me to leap before looking pretty often.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#282 Post by Chaqa » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:51 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:34 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:28 pm
This is a scumtell from you bona. for a number of reasons.

but the most important reason is that you are fighting tooth and nail to keep a player as a null when you should be seeking to prove that player is town or scum by any means necessary.

this arbitrary use if logic and judgement mirrors how you played as scum in m64 where you would argue just for the sake of asinine page filling arguments.

##vote bona
This looks like some classic TvT to me. But it is also interesting that Bona wants to defend Macca so hard... I would expect town to flip it and say brain is scum fabricating a reason to vote, rather than defending.

Macca and Bona scum team?

##VOTE bonatogether
Scum tick. If you think player X is scum defending scum player Z, you should vote Z first, because X could be town defending scum incorrectly. Logically you should want to vote Macca, not bona.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#283 Post by Chaqa » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:51 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:36 pm
listing someone as town based on patterns in behavior is a really quick way to sort things in large games where we dont always have enough content to go with even by mid game. we need to use every meta data point we can and use logical inferences along the way to lift our lowest hardest to read players out of questionable status into slight townleans or town so it makes the game easier. use every tool possible and hope you dont gloss over something carelessly along the way. pray you dont rely too much on diatribes or bad meta.

I dont feel I am wrong here. based on the evidence.

if you were town here youd see the urgency and immediacy of wanting to establish our weakest links as town based on any options on the table that accurately tell the tale
Brain, why are you making sense to me this game? Did COVID change you???

brainbomb

#284 Post by brainbomb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:52 pm

and just so the question doesn't get lost:

DemonRHK how do you plan to get this bread while binge playing Path of Exile?

brainbomb

#285 Post by brainbomb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:53 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:51 pm
brainbomb wrote:
listing someone as town based on patterns in behavior is a really quick way to sort things in large games where we dont always have enough content to go with even by mid game. we need to use every meta data point we can and use logical inferences along the way to lift our lowest hardest to read players out of questionable status into slight townleans or town so it makes the game easier. use every tool possible and hope you dont gloss over something carelessly along the way. pray you dont rely too much on diatribes or bad meta.

if you were town here youd see the urgency and immediacy of wanting to establish our weakest links as town based on any options on the table that accurately tell the tale
That probably means you are scum; and youre impressed im landing coherent talking points; or that im completely wrong and its funny to you. usually thats what causes posts like this

foodcoats

#286 Post by foodcoats » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:01 pm

Bonatogether wrote:
foodcoats wrote:
brainbomb wrote:

but the most important reason is that you are fighting tooth and nail to keep a player as a null when you should be seeking to prove that player is town or scum by any means necessary.

this arbitrary use if logic and judgement mirrors how you played as scum in m64 where you would argue just for the sake of asinine page filling arguments.

##vote bona
This looks like some classic TvT to me. But it is also interesting that Bona wants to defend Macca so hard... I would expect town to flip it and say brain is scum fabricating a reason to vote, rather than defending.

##VOTE bonatogether
You can't say it looks like TvT then accuse me of being scum lmao
Of course I can! My opinions are evolving as I am considering things. I consider things by writing them out. Take my posts as stream-of-consciousness. If I were scum, I'd edit for purpose, but I'm town, so I edit for spelling mistakes and legibility.

brainbomb

#287 Post by brainbomb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm

foodcoats is at the center of the action. seems to move with the flavor of the moment, in rapture with whatever next lead or talking point arises. food is navigating the game both reactively and in a pathfinder method. on the one hand he seems to flit around like a butterfly, he also seems to believe the things being presented to him in a way that he never dismisses with any arbitrary or untown mindset.
he is essentially playing follow the leader with uncertainty as to who the leader is or what talking point deserves his vote most.

very towny but easy to mistake as overly ancy scum

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#288 Post by Chaqa » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:53 pm
Chaqa wrote:
brainbomb wrote:

That probably means you are scum; and youre impressed im landing coherent talking points; or that im completely wrong and its funny to you. usually thats what causes posts like this
I'm impressed you're landing coherent points, yes. Typically I ignore basically everything you say, because it's like you're speaking a different language. Doesn't make me scum.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#289 Post by Hamilton Brian » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Quick hot take (caveat emptor) but I like what brain, chaqa, and bona are putting down. The caveat is that it could be so much attention paid to meta and the logic or relying/not relying on such that it's a clear distraction from hunting. I don't know, but I don't think I'd put a vote on any of them this early on.

foodcoats

#290 Post by foodcoats » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:05 pm

Chaqa wrote:
foodcoats wrote:
brainbomb wrote:

##vote bona

##VOTE bonatogether
Scum tick. If you think player X is scum defending scum player Z, you should vote Z first, because X could be town defending scum incorrectly. Logically you should want to vote Macca, not bona.
That's actually a very interesting point. I hadn't considered that. I didn't find Macca's posts very interesting and had kind of "forgotten" them; it was bona that was "before my mind." In retrospect, Macca's posts were a little fluffy, as Macca dwelled on the flavour. Which is what I accused celaph of and linked to scumliness. So, hm.

Yeah, a good point, and I accept my flawed logic. Chaqa is Lord of Deduction for today.

bona still seems a good vote to keep a wagon.

LET'S SEE SOME MORE VOTES FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY PLOX AND THOX.

foodcoats

#291 Post by foodcoats » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:06 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:03 pm
Quick hot take (caveat emptor) but I like what brain, chaqa, and bona are putting down. The caveat is that it could be so much attention paid to meta and the logic or relying/not relying on such that it's a clear distraction from hunting. I don't know, but I don't think I'd put a vote on any of them this early on.
Prithee, upon whom shall thee put a vote?

Bonatogether

#292 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:07 pm

brainbomb wrote:

Well Macca will hopefully post something other than their opening post, so we don't need to rely on that one thing for our read. We don't need to get a quick read on everyone as soon as we possibly can, but rather get an accurate read on them and figure out where they are in relation to other people.

Bonatogether

#293 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:09 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:01 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
foodcoats wrote:

##VOTE bonatogether
You can't say it looks like TvT then accuse me of being scum lmao
Of course I can! My opinions are evolving as I am considering things. I consider things by writing them out. Take my posts as stream-of-consciousness. If I were scum, I'd edit for purpose, but I'm town, so I edit for spelling mistakes and legibility.
If your post is stream of conscious, I don't see how you can think that I am town and also that I am scum within the same thought process.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#294 Post by Hamilton Brian » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:09 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:06 pm
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:03 pm
Prithee, upon whom shall thee put a vote?
Too early to say. I see you started your voting at kgray then to bona. What was your thought process there?

brainbomb

#295 Post by brainbomb » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm

I feel like you are misrepresenting my post to say that im advocating a sloppy ramrod style of play. Like you wanna make it sound like im gonna just barrell through a bunch of inaccurate meta reads and that town will just arrive at accurate reads by playing very slow and itll just happen effortlessly

Bonatogether

#296 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:05 pm
Chaqa wrote:
foodcoats wrote:

##VOTE bonatogether
That's actually a very interesting point. I hadn't considered that. I didn't find Macca's posts very interesting and had kind of "forgotten" them; it was bona that was "before my mind." In retrospect, Macca's posts were a little fluffy, as Macca dwelled on the flavour. Which is what I accused celaph of and linked to scumliness. So, hm.

Yeah, a good point, and I accept my flawed logic. Chaqa is Lord of Deduction for today.

bona still seems a good vote to keep a wagon.

LET'S SEE SOME MORE VOTES FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY PLOX AND THOX.
You can't actually agree and then not change your behavior without giving a reason as to why I'm still a good wagon.

Bonatogether

#297 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:13 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm
I feel like you are misrepresenting my post to say that im advocating a sloppy ramrod style of play. Like you wanna make it sound like im gonna just barrell through a bunch of inaccurate meta reads and that town will just arrive at accurate reads by playing very slow and itll just happen effortlessly
I'm saying townreading or scumreading someone off a single post is a stupid idea, especially when it could conceivably be made as either alignment.

Vecna

#298 Post by Vecna » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:15 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:26 pm
Vecna entry is a bit simplistic and agreeable as opposed to scathing. I dont feel intimidated by vecna entry.

rivera entry feels oddly campy as well.
Good. You were supposed to notice that, and it reflects well on you that you make mention of it.

Vecna

#299 Post by Vecna » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:20 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:46 pm
Vecna wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:39 am
damo666 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:10 am

First thing I've read this game worthy of discussion.

So is this

A) a brainbomb townslip
B) scum brainbomb wanting it to seem like A
C) scum brainbomb not realising his own advantage?

None of these would surprise me. I'm going to assume A for the timebeing.
or D: hunting for a werewolf (who need to narrow down roles?)
I implied IF he began narrowing down PR he might BE the werewolf and we should kill him.
Thats not really hunting for werewolf is it?

I am aware people like to imply that third party hunting is an occupation scum like to preoccupy themself with. And I know from experience that it is a valid practice to try to nab all the PR and the 3p as scum.

What gives me pause and makes me nervous is how easily you defended me but failed to acknowledge that I wasn't hunting 3p. I made an off the cuff remark. pretty size-able difference in my opinion.
Mentioning it as the option that was left out (and what you were very obviously doing imo) does not equal defending.

Stating the obvious that scum would also be interested in finding the wolfy did not seem needed. Its completely nai anyways, and I doubt you'd ever be blatantly doing it as scum anyway.

(also, I actually think youre town here. Probably wasnt feeling it very strongly yet back then, but im gonna use it as a reason now to justify my actions).

Vecna

#300 Post by Vecna » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:22 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:01 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:51 pm
celaph wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:57 am

Do you think that ghug and food's votes are out of respect for kgray? Do you think it's a good idea to vote strong players without other suspicion?
This was a solid question. on the other hand when it comes to early game pressure, strength of the player is a pretty absurd reason to defend someone. I dont think anyone actually felt kgray was gonna be the day 1 elim today.

These concerns I felt as well when ghug first voted her. but I have voted kgray as town day 1, first vote. so its not all that stunning.

maybe foodcoats is opportunistic there. but thats all I see as far as odd
Looking at this thread, I think the most interesting thing is that dargo would ask why a player has two votes before they've even posted. The answer is actually "because webdipmafia." It's like, why is there sand in a desert?

I generally disagree on your assessment that darg is clearly town, braunschweigh... and this seemingly innocuous comment is a good example of why.
This also feels like a very towny post