Mafia 65: Dreamland II [Hidden]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
worcej

Re: Mafia 65: Dreamland II [Hidden]

#561 Post by worcej » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 pm

ghug wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:20 pm
lfischl wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:11 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:10 pm

Brainbomb gets a free Captain Crunch lunchbox if he votes for everyone in the first 24 hours.
that makes a lot more sense. Why captain crunch?
Randy walks with a measured, forcibly calm step to the living room where he does most of his dining, usually while facing his thirty-six-inch television. He sets up his San Miguel, an empty bowl, an exceptionally large soup spoon—so large that most European cultures would identify it as a serving spoon and most Asian ones as a horticultural implement. He obtains a stack of paper napkins, not the brown recycled ones that can’t be moistened even by immersion in water, but the flagrantly environmentally unsound type, brilliant white and cotton-fluffy and desperately hygroscopic. He goes to the kitchen, opens the fridge, reaches deep into the back, and finds an unopened box-bag-pod-unit of UHT milk. UHT milk need not, technically, be refrigerated, but it is pivotal, in what is to follow, that the milk be only a few microdegrees above the point of freezing. The fridge in Randy’s apartment has louvers in the back where the cold air is blown in, straight from the freon coils. Randy always stores his milk-pods directly in front of those louvers. Not too close, or else the pods will block the flow of air, and not too far away either. The cold air becomes visible as it rushes in and condenses moisture, so it is a simple matter to sit there with the fridge door open and observe its flow characteristics, like an engineer testing an experimental minivan in a River Rouge wind tunnel. What Randy would like to see, ideally, is the whole milk-pod enveloped in an even, jacketlike flow to produce better heat exchange through the multilayered plastic-and-foil skin of the milk-pod. He would like the milk to be so cold that when he reaches in and grabs it, he feels the flexible, squishy pod stiffen between his fingers as ice crystals spring into existence, summoned out of nowhere simply by the disturbance of being squished.

Today the milk is almost, but not quite, that cold. Randy goes into his living room with it. He has to wrap it in a towel because it is so cold it hurts his fingers. All is in readiness.

Randy takes the red box and holds it securely between his knees with the handy stay-closed tab pointing away from him. Using both hands in unison he carefully works his fingertips underneath the flap, trying to achieve equal pressure on each side, paying special attention to places where too much glue was laid down by the gluing-machine. For a few long, tense moments, nothing at all happens, and an ignorant or impatient observer might suppose that Randy is getting nowhere. But then the entire flap pops open in an instant as the entire glue-front gives way. Randy hates it when the box-top gets bent or, worst of all possible worlds, torn. The lower flap is merely tacked down with a couple of small glue-spots and Randy pulls it back to reveal a translucent, inflated sac. The halogen down-light recessed in the ceiling shines through the cloudy material of the sac to reveal gold—everywhere the glint of gold. Randy rotates the box ninety degrees and holds it between his knees so its long axis is pointed at the television set, then grips the top of the sac and carefully parts its heat-sealed seam, which purrs as it gives way. Removal of the somewhat milky plastic barrier causes the individual nuggets of Cap’n Crunch to resolve, under the halogen light, with a kind of preternatural crispness and definition that makes the roof of Randy’s mouth glow and throb in trepidation.

The gold nuggets of Cap’n Crunch pelt the bottom of the bowl with a sound like glass rods being snapped in half. Tiny fragments spall away from their corners and ricochet around on the white porcelain surface. World-class cereal-eating is a dance of fine compromises. The giant heaping bowl of sodden cereal, awash in milk, is the mark of the novice. Ideally one wants the bone-dry cereal nuggets and the cryogenic milk to enter the mouth with minimal contact and for the entire reaction between them to take place in the mouth. Randy has worked out a set of mental blueprints for a special cereal-eating spoon that will have a tube running down the handle and a little pump for the milk, so that you can spoon dry cereal up out of a bowl, hit a button with your thumb, and squirt milk into the bowl of the spoon even as you are introducing it into your mouth. The next best thing is to work in small increments, putting only a small amount of Cap’n Crunch in your bowl at a time and eating it all up before it becomes a pit of loathsome slime, which, in the case of Cap’n Crunch, takes about thirty seconds.

He pours the milk with one hand while jamming the spoon in with the other, not wanting to waste a single moment of the magical, golden time when cold milk and Cap’n Crunch are together but have not yet begun to pollute each other’s essential natures: two Platonic ideals separated by a boundary a molecule wide. Where the flume of milk splashes over the spoon-handle, the polished stainless steel fogs with condensation. Randy of course uses whole milk, because otherwise why bother? Anything less is indistinguishable from water, and besides he thinks that the fat in whole milk acts as some kind of a buffer that retards the dissolution-into-slime process. The giant spoon goes into his mouth before the milk in the bowl has even had time to seek its own level. A few drips come off the bottom and are caught by his freshly washed goatee (still trying to find the right balance between beardedness and vulnerability, Randy has allowed one of these to grow). Randy sets the milk-pod down, grabs a fluffy napkin, lifts it to his chin, and uses a pinching motion to sort of lift the drops of milk from his whiskers rather than smashing and smearing them down into the beard. Meanwhile all his concentration is fixed on the interior of his mouth, which naturally he cannot see, but which he can imagine in three dimensions as if zooming through it in a virtual reality display. Here is where a novice would lose his cool and simply chomp down. A few of the nuggets would explode between his molars, but then his jaw would snap shut and drive all of the unshattered nuggets straight up into his palate where their armor of razor-sharp dextrose crystals would inflict massive collateral damage, turning the rest of the meal into a sort of pain-hazed death march and rendering him Novocain mute for three days. But Randy has, over time, worked out a really fiendish Cap’n Crunch eating strategy that revolves around playing the nuggets’ most deadly features against each other. The nuggets themselves are pillow-shaped and vaguely striated to echo piratical treasure chests. Now, with a flake-type of cereal, Randy’s strategy would never work. But then, Cap’n Crunch in a flake form would be suicidal madness; it would last about as long, when immersed in milk, as snowflakes sifting down into a deep fryer. No, the cereal engineers at General Mills had to find a shape that would minimize surface area, and, as some sort of compromise between the sphere that is dictated by Euclidean geometry and whatever sunken-treasure-related shapes that the cereal-aestheticians were probably clamoring for, they came up with this hard-to-pin-down striated pillow formation. The important thing, for Randy’s purposes, is that the individual pieces of Cap’n Crunch are, to a very rough approximation, shaped kind of like molars. The strategy, then, is to make the Cap’n Crunch chew itself by grinding the nuggets together in the center of the oral cavity, like stones in a lapidary tumbler. Like advanced ballroom dancing, verbal explanations only goes so far and then your body just has to learn the moves.
What the shit did I just waste far too long reading?

My mind feels like I just got ASMR'ed

worcej

#562 Post by worcej » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:39 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:25 pm
Item Theif has never made an impact on a game ive been in with items. ive gmed item madness twice. I would expect that mafia here would think they have tons of cool abilities and they get rolled anyway.
This is strikingly serious and insightful FWIW

Foxcastle

#563 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:41 pm

jasnah wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:00 pm
New month new mafia, open thread, wow see Bona already nursing a festering grudge trying to wage a fruitless war against me again, one that I will undoubtedly win. Weak and unbecoming. Probably the alien.

##vote Jamiet
You are new to me, jasnah. Tell me of you and your ways.

brainbomb

#564 Post by brainbomb » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:41 pm

Vecna wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:27 pm
Brainbomb, as the defender of jaimies everywhere, what is your verdict?
He has a doctorate in death metal law

worcej

#565 Post by worcej » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:41 pm

Vecna wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:41 pm
How peculiar. Ifischl is feeling a lot more post-happy on just the first 2 pages than in the entire mini game that just finished.

Not quite sure what to think of that.
I paid zero attention to the mini-game.

Should I care about a change in he/she/it/they/them's style that quickly?

Foxcastle

#566 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:42 pm

worcej wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:31 pm
Ceremonial 28 page D1 catchup incoming.

Expect a wall of posts from me.
y tho

brainbomb

#567 Post by brainbomb » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:43 pm

##vote kgray
ill poke the bear

brainbomb

#568 Post by brainbomb » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:45 pm

our shamans could commune with a dead town and use items as a way to catch scum lying in a mass item claim

worcej

#569 Post by worcej » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:46 pm

lfischl wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:49 pm
Vecna wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:43 pm
##vote Ifischl

non-town alignment detected
##vote vecna Im town. Fuck off.
Ooooo... I like feisty players.

jasnah

#570 Post by jasnah » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:46 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:41 pm
jasnah wrote:
New month new mafia, open thread, wow see Bona already nursing a festering grudge trying to wage a fruitless war against me again, one that I will undoubtedly win. Weak and unbecoming. Probably the alien.

##vote Jamiet
The most important thing you need to know about me, is that they hate me because I speak the truth. I always offer town the prospect of a prosperous future and an accessible plan for self-improvement but time and time again my efforts have been rebuffed. People prefer their accustomed mediocrity.

I like bunnygo's vote. Maybe I will switch to Bona after all

worcej

#571 Post by worcej » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:42 pm
worcej wrote:

y tho
Because it's what I do?

Y u tryn to $0.02 me BROSEF?

BunnyGo

#572 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Vecna wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:25 pm
So right now, I have in my non-town category:

Tham
Kgray
Chaqa

maybe Ghug, maybe EMC
You went from "I think Bunny is scum" to no mention at all of me in just a couple posts. Was it just something you said in the moment?

jasnah

#573 Post by jasnah » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:48 pm

worcej wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:47 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
worcej wrote:

y tho
Because it's what I do?

Worcej, I had a dubious impression of you for some reason I struggle to recall, but you're growing on me fast.

Foxcastle

#574 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:49 pm

jasnah wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:46 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:41 pm
jasnah wrote:

##vote Jamiet
The most important thing you need to know about me, is that they hate me because I speak the truth. I always offer town the prospect of a prosperous future and an accessible plan for self-improvement but time and time again my efforts have been rebuffed. People prefer their accustomed mediocrity.

I like bunnygo's vote. Maybe I will switch to Bona after all
Do you think people are choosing mediocrity in this game?

Foxcastle

#575 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:50 pm

worcej wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:47 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
worcej wrote:

y tho
Because it's what I do?

I'm just curious what you think is going to be useful from the first 18 hours at this point. Day 1 is really important, but not on Day 1.

BunnyGo

#576 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:50 pm

Vecna wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:15 pm
was lfischl like this in his first game as well? Im really kinda confused by his sudden pezaz.
He died day 1 as a PR, and somewhat quietly. So I'd not draw too many conclusions.

worcej

#577 Post by worcej » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:51 pm

BobMcBob wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:59 pm
Okay I have scan results back and Jamie is scum.
Your dedication to the D1 troll is impressive so far.

BunnyGo

#578 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:52 pm

Bonatogether wrote:
BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:26 pm
Just lost power and phone under 20%. ##vote bona

Back when I get power back (hopefully we’ll before EOD)
When you get back, why are you voting me?
Your multiple forgets within 12 minutes. Your general tone of non-hunting "hunting". I needed a placeholder in case I couldn't get back. Are you that bothered?

Jamiet99uk

#579 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:53 pm

jasnah wrote:

##vote Jamiet
What's this shit?

Why talk about Bona and then vote me despite not having mentioned me?

jasnah

#580 Post by jasnah » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:53 pm

@Foxcastle If the "interaction", to use a charitable term, brain bomb and Bona have displayed with my previous messages is any indication, mediocrity is being pretty generous. I'm a nice person like that