What Do Dip Players Do in Real Life?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

What Do Dip Players Do in Real Life?

#1 Post by gimix » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:01 pm

I am under the impression that most (online?) Dip players are geeks/nerds or somehow people from technical fields, especially Information Technology, perhaps with some humanistic background.
I for one am a philosopher-by-education turned into an IT guy - former system engineer, former developer, former analyst, eventually PM (yes, I'm old, but that's another thread on this forum)
But mens sana in corpore sano, I love sports too: cycling, trekking, XC skying...
How about you?

Bonatogether

Re: What Do Dip Players Do in Real Life?

#2 Post by Bonatogether » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:13 am

Books =D

yavuzovic

#3 Post by yavuzovic » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:24 am

I make amateur paintings but they aren't that good because I don't have education on art. That's my plan for next year.
I study at the last year of highschool and delaying my plans until I pass the university exam. I have quite a success already 😎

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4 Post by cdngooner » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:03 am

Lawyer.

TheMadMonarch

#5 Post by TheMadMonarch » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:46 am

gimix wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:01 pm
I am under the impression that most (online?) Dip players are geeks/nerds or somehow people from technical fields, especially Information Technology, perhaps with some humanistic background.
I for one am a philosopher-by-education turned into an IT guy - former system engineer, former developer, former analyst, eventually PM (yes, I'm old, but that's another thread on this forum)
But mens sana in corpore sano, I love sports too: cycling, trekking, XC skying...
How about you?
Are you the Prime Minister?

BobMcBob

#6 Post by BobMcBob » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:56 am

I do them folding papers, is pretty fun. Am pretty good at it.

Sunstriker

#7 Post by Sunstriker » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:26 am

My day job is a librarian and by night I'm a voice actor, though this means I'm mostly narrating audiobooks. Surrounded by books at work I still do more with books in my free time as I love reading and listening to audiobooks. I'm also a writer...and then I also love playing some good 'ol D&D.

Basically I adore storytelling and eat it up both in my work and in my me time ^.^

Donny Dude

#8 Post by Donny Dude » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:18 am

I am a college student in political science as a major.
So lifeless :lol:

fourofswords

#10 Post by fourofswords » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:51 am

I am a landlord. I'm good at it. The funny thing about being a landlord is that evryone thinks they can do it, and they give unsolicited advice. I hate advice. I never ask for it. But they pour it on as if they know. Luckily, some people realize they could never do it.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#11 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:54 am

I am an accountant; I have studied and what I am doing as a job. I am an author too. I am writing for years, and I have been putting my stories in fora and my blog. Last May, I published my first novel officially. My genres are mostly fantasy and action.
Now I am preparing my second novel for publishing while I am translating the first to English.
As it is obvious, I love books and stories, studying history and the art of writing. I am also a collector of coins and stamps.
I used to play football, but an injury stopped me.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#12 Post by Szpoti » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:16 am

I absolutely am happy to see this post and the response to it. It provides nearly tangible evidence that on the other side of the screen there is another human with their RL, jobs, talents, passions, and fears (have we mentioned that?). Thus, only in the heat of the moment can we call the other 'incompetent idiot', 'noob, etc.

I was supposed to be a lawyer, spent 10 years studying, and then suddenly decided to become a linguist, and to teach at a university in Asia.
Used to play football (goalie) semi-professionally aeons ago. Now, I play the drums, EVE Online, and lift weights (sometimes all that simultaneously). Whenever you ask for a pause or a forced draw in your webDip game, it's very often I who fulfils your wish (or rejects the request, for that matter).

Octavious

#13 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:43 am

I was a flood risk engineer for a while, before working for a few years in environmental regulation, and currently play with a giant train set.

Hithlum

#14 Post by Hithlum » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:19 pm

I'm ICT project manager in the care sector. Have been for 13 years now. Before that I was a IT systems engineer/architect. I do like board games a lot and played AD&D for many years.

thamrick

#15 Post by thamrick » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:01 pm

Currently I'm a department manager at a home improvement store. I have a degree in math (so I guess you got me there with the nerd thing...) and taught high school math/computer science for a few years. Who knows what my endgame is (like my diplomacy play too amirite?) as I'm basically just biding my time until my wife finishes her doctorate and we end up moving elsewhere.

I enjoy sports. Love playing tennis; watching soccer, baseball, hockey. I'm getting into woodworking and cycling

Matticus13

#16 Post by Matticus13 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:08 pm

Degree in business, but found desk work/management boring. I work in a large oil refinery, running various types heavy equipment, loading railcars/tractor trailers with petroleum coke, and decoking drums. It's like playing in an adult sized, black sandbox for 12 hours (on the good days).

anlari

#17 Post by anlari » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:44 pm

I am an economist. I work at an international financial institution (think World Bank / IMF / IADB). About half of my work day is spent in virtual meetings with government officials from the country I currently work on, and the other half crunching numbers, strategizing with team mates and drafting memos. The first part used to require frequent travel, but obviously not the case anymore.

Jamiet99uk

#18 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:10 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:43 am
I was a flood risk engineer for a while, before working for a few years in environmental regulation, and currently play with a giant train set.
Tell us more about your giant train set? I'm honestly curious.

Octavious

#19 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:17 pm

It's not particularly exciting. Basically jumped ship from the civil service to join the railways because it's rather more fun.

... also they pay more for fewer hours, and the amount of holiday you get is ridiculous...

...but mostly it was about the fun.

Jamiet99uk

#20 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:18 pm

In terms of work, I am a Procurement Manager for a UK Government Agency, and I do occasional work on the side as a public procurement consultant.

Alongside that, on a part-time basis, I am doing a law PhD, specifically in the area of interaction between public procurement law and small businesses.

In my spare time I play the bass guitar, I enjoy strength training, and once lockdown ends I once again hope to spend time drinking and going to gigs with my friends. I also enjoy travelling, particularly to cities, and visiting art galleries, which I again hope to resume after lockdown.