MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Message
Author
BunnyGo
Posts: 10324
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:21 am
Karma: 3260

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6081 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:11 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:00 pm
BunnyGo wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:46 pm
So basically, you listed what you thought people would do with roles based on your opinions.
No, I considered what the best strategy would be for each faction, and I put out reasons. No one has pointed out anything wrong with it ("scum would do x, but you said y"). Everyone who has gone against it has done nothing more than say "it's dumb and entirely opinion-based."
The problem isn't that the strategies described are necessarily wrong. The problem is that you immediately went "next level" with the strategies. You implicitly assumed, "Oh! Well if that's the correct strategy, then they'll obviously not do that!"
Then you listed your opinions with no research on what people were doing. Then you didn’t even match impressions to role guesses because that’s all just opinion anyways.
I reread 6 or 7 players to get a better feel for them, and I already stated that the best play for the player is to shift your town meta towards the best play for the faction.
OK. You don't need to impress us with a read on every player. There were enough weird things like the statements about players that seemed you hadn't read them, or the misalignment with what you said you were looking for with an SK but then saying "oh...but that's not an SK thing here." It just felt forced. Like you knew the answer and then wrote the post.
You just put out something to seem like you were solving, but in fact demonstrated you’d done no reading at all?
This is absolute bullshit and you know it. I've been reading the thread, I've been posting, I've been putting out my ideas (compare my posting the last 2 games to this one), so there's absolutely no basis for you to claim that I've done no reading.
This is true.

BunnyGo
Posts: 10324
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:21 am
Karma: 3260

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6082 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:16 am

kgray wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:04 am
BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:56 am
kgray wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:54 am


HR is very experienced so this argument makes no sense unless you think he just sat quietly and didn't post in their QT, and this also sounds exactly like an argument you made in M54 to shade me when I was a new player. Hate it.
I get HR is experienced. Great.

Tell me why he collapsed like he did EOD2. I still don't understand it, and I've reread that EOD twice now. I have no idea what happened. The only theory I can come up with is that the aliens are panicking and swinging away.
Apparently I was better at getting under his skin than he predicted :smirk:
Could be

There's a difference between HR freaking out on me at EOD and the team coming up with a plan to try to salvage it at night, but that's really not my point at all. You can't say things like "aliens did this sub-optimally and therefore they're inexperienced" when the only alien that's flipped is one of the most experienced players in the game. It's a bad argument and I think it's just a little too convenient considering you're pushing the wagons of two relatively inexperienced players.
Fair enough. I like to ascribe the philosophy that people have reasons they think are good for their plays (in life, games, whatever). That when you see something suboptimal, it's still something they had a reason to say, "aha! here's my play!" But the issue then is, how did they come to a suboptimal play? How can you exploit it?

Bonatogether
Posts: 3523
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 1481
Contact:

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6083 Post by Bonatogether » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:17 am

BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:11 am

The problem isn't that the strategies described are necessarily wrong. The problem is that you immediately went "next level" with the strategies. You implicitly assumed, "Oh! Well if that's the correct strategy, then they'll obviously not do that!"


OK. You don't need to impress us with a read on every player. There were enough weird things like the statements about players that seemed you hadn't read them, or the misalignment with what you said you were looking for with an SK but then saying "oh...but that's not an SK thing here." It just felt forced. Like you knew the answer and then wrote the post.

This is true.

1) ??? I tried to match it up as best I could, so I'm unsure what you're talking about

2) I guess? But how do I know every player's alignment and then write the post? That part doesn't make sense to me.

3) So then why do you say I haven't?

kgray
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 6762
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:34 pm
Karma: 3470

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6084 Post by kgray » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:20 am

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:02 am
ghug wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:54 am
e.m.c^42 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:53 am
Unfortunately I think that is all it is. Evidence that Macca's paying attention at least, though.
Or evidence they're not? Who else could "us" be?
*Paying attention to the wrong things. It reveals assumption or at least lingering background assumption that you are in QT for them to have default comprehension in this way.
Oh, I like this argument a lot emc (and not because I know I just did the same thing). So Macca likely not teammates with either HR or ghug.

BunnyGo
Posts: 10324
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:21 am
Karma: 3260

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6085 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:21 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:17 am
BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:11 am

The problem isn't that the strategies described are necessarily wrong. The problem is that you immediately went "next level" with the strategies. You implicitly assumed, "Oh! Well if that's the correct strategy, then they'll obviously not do that!"


OK. You don't need to impress us with a read on every player. There were enough weird things like the statements about players that seemed you hadn't read them, or the misalignment with what you said you were looking for with an SK but then saying "oh...but that's not an SK thing here." It just felt forced. Like you knew the answer and then wrote the post.

This is true.

1) ??? I tried to match it up as best I could, so I'm unsure what you're talking about


2) I guess? But how do I know every player's alignment and then write the post? That part doesn't make sense to me.

3) So then why do you say I haven't?
1) kgray and I asked you multiple times about why you said SK would have "solvy" tendencies, but then all the players you listed as solvy were not on your SK list.

2) Exactly. It looks scummy. That's how you know. (Still town reading you, but despite this post)

3) Because it looked like you'd been not reading when you made a post saying things about all the players that were gut rather than just the 7 you read. It's true you've been reading and participating. I overstated the issue because of the previous things.

Ezio
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:54 am
Karma: 184

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6086 Post by Ezio » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:23 am

Ghug just slipped so hard holy shit.

Wow.

brainbomb
Posts: 15884
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 4730

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6087 Post by brainbomb » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:23 am

oh good were in the fsociety phase of the game where we color all our posts

brainbomb
Posts: 15884
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 4730

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6088 Post by brainbomb » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:24 am

##vote donny

Bonatogether
Posts: 3523
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 1481
Contact:

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6089 Post by Bonatogether » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:25 am

BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:21 am
1) kgray and I asked you multiple times about why you said SK would have "solvy" tendencies, but then all the players you listed as solvy were not on your SK list.

2) Exactly. It looks scummy. That's how you know. (Still town reading you, but despite this post)

3) Because it looked like you'd been not reading when you made a post saying things about all the players that were gut rather than just the 7 you read. It's true you've been reading and participating. I overstated the issue because of the previous things.
1) I made the reads that I thought were best.

2) But even if I am scum, I still cannot know everyone's alignment, because of the second scumteam. Your point is wrong.

3) I based my reads on my theory to the greatest extent possible, so I don't buy this except as an attempt to rile me up.

Ezio
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:54 am
Karma: 184

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6090 Post by Ezio » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:25 am

Like, celaph was pretty clearly supposed to be the kill tomorrow, but now looks like that's gotta just be ghug.
Clearly he kept too much anger pent up over HR playing like that and didn't release it effectively causing the slip.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 12087
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Location: Seattle
Karma: 6339

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6091 Post by ghug » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am

Ezio wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:23 am
Ghug just slipped so hard holy shit.

Wow.
Are you stuck on the us thing too?

kgray
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 6762
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:34 pm
Karma: 3470

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6092 Post by kgray » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am

Ezio wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:25 am
Like, celaph was pretty clearly supposed to be the kill tomorrow, but now looks like that's gotta just be ghug.
Clearly he kept too much anger pent up over HR playing like that and didn't release it effectively causing the slip.
Are you going to share with the class?

BunnyGo
Posts: 10324
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:21 am
Karma: 3260

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6093 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:25 am
BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:21 am
1) kgray and I asked you multiple times about why you said SK would have "solvy" tendencies, but then all the players you listed as solvy were not on your SK list.

2) Exactly. It looks scummy. That's how you know. (Still town reading you, but despite this post)

3) Because it looked like you'd been not reading when you made a post saying things about all the players that were gut rather than just the 7 you read. It's true you've been reading and participating. I overstated the issue because of the previous things.
1) I made the reads that I thought were best.

2) But even if I am scum, I still cannot know everyone's alignment, because of the second scumteam. Your point is wrong.

3) I based my reads on my theory to the greatest extent possible, so I don't buy this except as an attempt to rile me up.
1) As you say

2) The point is that you had predetermined goals. Not that they were all correct. You reads are not all correct.

3) I'm saying I overstated the issue.

Ezio
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:54 am
Karma: 184

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6094 Post by Ezio » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:27 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:25 am
BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:21 am
1) kgray and I asked you multiple times about why you said SK would have "solvy" tendencies, but then all the players you listed as solvy were not on your SK list.

2) Exactly. It looks scummy. That's how you know. (Still town reading you, but despite this post)

3) Because it looked like you'd been not reading when you made a post saying things about all the players that were gut rather than just the 7 you read. It's true you've been reading and participating. I overstated the issue because of the previous things.
1) I made the reads that I thought were best.

2) But even if I am scum, I still cannot know everyone's alignment, because of the second scumteam. Your point is wrong.

3) I based my reads on my theory to the greatest extent possible, so I don't buy this except as an attempt to rile me up.
Keep doing you bona. You're probably better off ignoring them when you get asked dumb, accusatory questions.

Ezio
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:54 am
Karma: 184

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6095 Post by Ezio » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:27 am

ghug wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am
Ezio wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:23 am
Ghug just slipped so hard holy shit.

Wow.
Are you stuck on the us thing too?
Dude that's pretty fucking bad.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 12087
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Location: Seattle
Karma: 6339

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6096 Post by ghug » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:27 am

kgray wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am
Ezio wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:25 am
Like, celaph was pretty clearly supposed to be the kill tomorrow, but now looks like that's gotta just be ghug.
Clearly he kept too much anger pent up over HR playing like that and didn't release it effectively causing the slip.
Are you going to share with the class?
I accidentally said "us" when referring to the town, revealing that I am, in fact, town.

Ezio
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:54 am
Karma: 184

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6097 Post by Ezio » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:27 am

kgray wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am
Ezio wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:25 am
Like, celaph was pretty clearly supposed to be the kill tomorrow, but now looks like that's gotta just be ghug.
Clearly he kept too much anger pent up over HR playing like that and didn't release it effectively causing the slip.
Are you going to share with the class?
You saw it.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 12087
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm
Location: Seattle
Karma: 6339

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6098 Post by ghug » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:28 am

Ezio wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:27 am
ghug wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am
Ezio wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:23 am
Ghug just slipped so hard holy shit.

Wow.
Are you stuck on the us thing too?
Dude that's pretty fucking bad.
I don't believe you believe this.

kgray
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 6762
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:34 pm
Karma: 3470

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6099 Post by kgray » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:28 am

Ezio wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:27 am
kgray wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am
Ezio wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:25 am
Like, celaph was pretty clearly supposed to be the kill tomorrow, but now looks like that's gotta just be ghug.
Clearly he kept too much anger pent up over HR playing like that and didn't release it effectively causing the slip.
Are you going to share with the class?
You saw it.
Now I feel like you're trying to slip....

Bonatogether
Posts: 3523
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 1481
Contact:

Re: MAFIA 64 - The Z Files - Game Thread [HIDDEN]

#6100 Post by Bonatogether » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:28 am

BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am
1) As you say

2) The point is that you had predetermined goals. Not that they were all correct. You reads are not all correct.

3) I'm saying I overstated the issue.
2) I'd be surprised if they were, since it's a different approach to take, but I think it's decently (>60%) accurate.

3) Ok.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests