Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Jamiet99uk

Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#1 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi frens,

We've had quite a few new players try their hand at Mafia recently, and some of them have done well, while others have struggled a bit to keep up and get a grasp of the game.

Would there be any interest in a small game, with a fairly basic setup, specifically for new players (I'd say anyone who has played 0-2 games of Mafia here) to take part in?

I would propose that we select three or four experienced players, who are generally regarded as being "good" at the game, to spectate the game and offer feedback and guidance to the players in some form - perhaps a PM sent at the end of each phase.

I would be quite happy to set this up and GM it, if there is appropriate interest.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Mafia tutorial / newbie game?

#2 Post by Tom Bombadil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm

I think this is a great idea. Small games are much less daunting. Good thinking Jamie.

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Thank you Tom.

Would you be willing to act as one of the coaches?

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4 Post by Tom Bombadil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Sure thing

celaph

#5 Post by celaph » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 pm

As someone who knows very little about Mafia, this idea intrigues me.

Can someone please explain both the general idea of Mafia as well as what the commitment level would be like for this game?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by Tom Bombadil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:55 pm

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J0C ... DZFwc/edit

This is a tips sheet I sent out to new players for the last game. While some of the information is specific to that game, all mafia games have the same sort of structure.

worcej

#7 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Reading the last mafia round and seeing the 'distraught' for lack of participation, I was considering throwing my name onto the next round. If you did a newbie/training one, I would partake in it as well.

thamrick

#8 Post by thamrick » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm

It's basically a social deduction game. Usually two sides (town vs. mafia). Mafia members (usually about 25% of the total # of players to start) are trying to kill off all the other players. Town are trying to catch and kill all the mafia. Mafia generally know who the other mafia are (and therefore, who the town are), while town know nothing. So mafia members are trying to blend in and act like they know nothing while town is trying to figure it out.

There's a pretty significant time commitment. To really play, you need to read each message posted at least once and as you see from the last game, games can easily go 100+ pages and take around a month to complete. Probably should be able to dedicate a couple hours a day though that varies.

worcej

#9 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:27 pm

thamrick wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm
It's basically a social deduction game. Usually two sides (town vs. mafia). Mafia members (usually about 25% of the total # of players to start) are trying to kill off all the other players. Town are trying to catch and kill all the mafia. Mafia generally know who the other mafia are (and therefore, who the town are), while town know nothing. So mafia members are trying to blend in and act like they know nothing while town is trying to figure it out.

There's a pretty significant time commitment. To really play, you need to read each message posted at least once and as you see from the last game, games can easily go 100+ pages and take around a month to complete. Probably should be able to dedicate a couple hours a day though that varies.
Personally, I don't see the time commitment as being a huge issue on my end other than last minute EOD/EON shenanigans since I am based in PST (GMT -7) and for this round that was at 3:00 PM, when I am still at work. I was keeping pace with this last round and getting a good laugh out of it all - town was completely hopeless and thanks to peter they seemed to at least have a chance until it got dwindled down low.

I will say I did share the annoyance that Jamie had regarding participation (and the lack of it) and I figure I can at least try to be new blood to improve it.

thamrick

#10 Post by thamrick » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 pm

worcej wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:27 pm
thamrick wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Personally, I don't see the time commitment as being a huge issue on my end other than last minute EOD/EON shenanigans since I am based in PST (GMT -7) and for this round that was at 3:00 PM, when I am still at work. I was keeping pace with this last round and getting a good laugh out of it all - town was completely hopeless and thanks to peter they seemed to at least have a chance until it got dwindled down low.

I will say I did share the annoyance that Jamie had regarding participation (and the lack of it) and I figure I can at least try to be new blood to improve it.
Well that's a good sign. And yeah. We usually use 6:00pm EST as the EoD, but we did at least one game where it was later (10pm EST iirc) and I really liked that. I wouldn't mind seeing some different EoD times to accommodate for those in other time zones.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#11 Post by dargorygel » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Goodly idea, Jamie... much value for the Mafia Community. Thanks.

Jamiet99uk

#12 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Okay let's take sign-ups! No more than 13 players please.

PLAYERS:

1. Worcej

SUBS:

Please note this game is ONLY for players who have played TWO or FEWER games of Mafia on this website. Those who have never played at all, but are interested, are very welcome.

Tentative start date: Monday 11th June.

Teacher2 appeared interested and CWagYourTail would you also like to sign up?

Tom Bombadil has kindly offered to act as a Coach / Expert but I'd be delighted to have 2-3 more experienced players who'd be willing to give their time to this. Experts / Coaches will not play, but do need to be willing to commit to:

1. Follow the game
2. Compiling a message once per turn with your feedback on play
3. Hang around in the God QT to answer any questions from deceased players.

celaph

#13 Post by celaph » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm

PLAYERS:

1. Worcej

SUBS:

Please note this game is ONLY for players who have played TWO or FEWER games of Mafia on this website. Those who have never played at all, but are interested, are very welcome.

Teacher2 appeared interested and CWagYourTail would you also like to sign up?

Tom Bombadil has kindly offered to act as a Coach / Expert but I'd be delighted to have 2-3 more experienced players who'd be willing to give their time to this. Experts / Coaches will not play, but do need to be willing to commit to:

1. Follow the game
2. Compiling a message once per turn with your feedback on play
3. Hang around in the God QT to answer any questions from deceased players.
I don't think that I can consistently check in as much as it seems is desirable for a game such as this. Thanks for offering.

teacher2

#14 Post by teacher2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Teacher2 appeared interested
I am interested and more than happy to play. My concern is that I have played forum mafia several times, though here only once. My instinct was to lurk and see if you needed a body towards the end. That said, feel completely free to add my name -- I do want to play but also want to allow others.

thamrick

#15 Post by thamrick » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 am

Check in again with DrCJG, Telamor, StressedLines from the last game, and perhaps nesdunk, PouncySilverkitten, MeanLaQueefa, Rjmcf from the last couple game. They might be interested

BancroftS

#16 Post by BancroftS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 am

CWagYourTail wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:

PLAYERS:

1. Worcej
2. BancroftS

SUBS:

I don't think that I can consistently check in as much as it seems is desirable for a game such as this. Thanks for offering.
I've never played, but looking forward to trying it out!! :)

BancroftS

#17 Post by BancroftS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 am

... and since that was only my third post on the forum, I definitely didn't proofread and accidentally quoted my whole post!

Jamiet99uk

#18 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:54 am

Welcome, BancroftS

DrCJG

#19 Post by DrCJG » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:11 pm

If we can start on time I am happy to play, but I do not expect to have internet access the week of July 4th... so I am a little hesitant to sign up

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#20 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:54 pm

DrCJG wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:11 pm
If we can start on time I am happy to play, but I do not expect to have internet access the week of July 4th... so I am a little hesitant to sign up
It is quite usual for forum games to be paused for national celebratory days. Although Jamie might be opposed to pausing for American Rebellion Against British Benevolent Hegemony Day...