M62: PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF REVOLUTIONARY MAFIA GAME THREAD!

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
teacon7

Re: M62: PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF REVOLUTIONARY MAFIA GAME THREAD!

#941 Post by teacon7 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:50 pm

general thoughts, since I'm finally caught up to the present and gonna head out for a while this evening:

The first half of d1 is always nonsense, exacerbated this time around by thanksgiving parties and the like. NAI.

Balki et al made general "hey calm down" posts - all of which seem sensible. Half the players want to scheisspost for all of D1, the other half doesn't really want to play until D1 is over because shennanigans. Toxicity does not help town. Can we tone it down? It'll allow more rational thought and less anger-driven flailing. (Same applies for election politics, about which I'm fairly salty rn, so none of this is new).

Vecna looking towny, primarily for the engagement when he was catching up. The first sober voice in 20 pages.

@HB: do you actually scumread kgray? Why or why not? do you think she'd be a good daykill today?

@bozo/yoyo/vash - when are you planning on reading and posting more? what do each of you, individually, think of worcej so far?

@celaph @bona did you see my questions?

@vecna @emc - I can only recall worcej as a GM, and not a player. Is he usually like this? why do you have the read you do on him right now?

celaph

#942 Post by celaph » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:51 pm

Vecna wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:26 pm
Town:
EMC
Worcej
ND
Brainbomb (ill later retract this)
Durga
2/3 of the newbies but I forgot which 2

Probably also town
HB
Balki
Neph?

Scum
Kgray
Teacon
Bo
Chaqa
Flum
Bozo?
Can you elaborate on your reads of EMC and BB? Also, why will you later retract the BB read?

teacon7

#943 Post by teacon7 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:54 pm

@celaph - you're here!

How much have you played this sort of game?

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#944 Post by Hamilton Brian » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:59 pm

teacon7 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:50 pm
Toxicity does not help town. Can we tone it down?

Vecna looking towny, primarily for the engagement when he was catching up. The first sober voice in 20 pages.

@HB: do you actually scumread kgray? Why or why not? do you think she'd be a good daykill today?
I agree with your point I bolded; it's hard enough to identify other town.

I also agree with you about Vecna. I'm not throwing it out there carte blanche, but holding on to it in my back pocket.

I don't actually scumread kgray. I don't think I've played a game with them where they weren't scum, so it's a hard one. Good daykill? Probably not unless they make an absolute slip.

The volume of posting, especially...uh, what's a polite word? Is that a distraction that serves town? Do scum hide behind that as a tactic? I probably would.

Lots of unfamiliar people in here.

OK< work calls.

aarodactyl

#945 Post by aarodactyl » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:00 pm

teacon7 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:45 pm
aarodactyl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:33 pm
I haven’t read any of the games here. I’ve debated doing it in the past but it seems like it would take a long time given all the volume.

I’m a little concerned about different players blurring together, since I don’t have people to associate them with. Also the sheer volume of posts is going to make figuring out signals hard.

To be honest, I’m not great a hard reads so I usually like to try to think about reads in terms of roles in live games.
Agree re: post volume. That'll get better after the holidays, I think. What signals amid the noise have you noted so far? Are you looking for roles here? How much do you think meta should play into read of alignment?
Unfortunately you can’t really remove the meta from hard reads (if I’m understanding meta as past games correctly). And I don’t have any knowledge of the meta.

I’m not really looking for roles here, just alignment. Maybe I should be looking for roles as well but alignment seems hard enough already.

In terms of reads, I think voting off the new players is a good town strategy to be honest. I’m not advocating for it at all, but it does make me think flum could be town. Also I already don’t really like ND but I also don’t like the push to vote them out already, since it could be scum trying to start a bandwagon (or whatever term you use here for that).

damo666

#946 Post by damo666 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:00 pm

aarodactyl wrote:
teacon7 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:55 pm
aarodactyl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:29 am
I haven't played on this forum before, but I played a fair bit in college. Not with nearly this many roles though.
Nice to meet you aarodactyl. Happy Thanksgiving.

Have you read any of the games here?
What do you expect will be the hardest part about finding scum in a forum game instead of a live game?
How do you scumhunt in live games, and is that adaptable to this format?

Same goes for @bonatogether and @celaph, but I guess I also want to know what your mafia/werewolf experience is too.
I haven’t read any of the games here. I’ve debated doing it in the past but it seems like it would take a long time given all the volume.

I’m a little concerned about different players blurring together, since I don’t have people to associate them with. Also the sheer volume of posts is going to make figuring out signals hard.

To be honest, I’m not great a hard reads so I usually like to try to think about reads in terms of roles in live games.
Here's a quick rundown

HR solid player
Flum ignore most of what flum says
Durga doesn't read enough
Jamie is usually easy to read, will prob obvtown soon enough
ghug thinks he's smart (he's not bad), unnecessarily anti-English
HamB trying to not get modkilled
Vecna thinks he's good but usually gets things wrong, will obvtown if town
Bunny hops
kgray wily
Nap new
celaph brainy I assume
worcej reverse his reads to solve game
Maniac yes
damo me
rdr good
brain occasionally insipired amongst the tripe without rwealising it
bozo logical
emc doesn't actually say anything, usually 3p but not this game
chaqa likes chipotle
teacon not a pot or a cosy, a con
ND puts on a charade of toxicity to provoke a reaction, might be a grocer
yoyo up and down
Vash ?
Neph pleasant
aaro new
BB better than your average Balki

aarodactyl

#947 Post by aarodactyl » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:01 pm

ND wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:49 pm
aarodactyl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:48 pm
@flum

I wasn’t seriously voting you. Being new, I have absolutely no reads on anyone. The only player I know is bunny and I think he would have shared that resource regardless of alignment. I’ve also never played mafia with him.

##unvote

Now that people are trying to make reads and not just trying to increase their post count, I’ll try to contribute. However, I’m not sure what value I’ll be able to add on d1
It's called reading the game, note-taking, questioning anything that looks fishy. Like your post right there. You signed up for this game you should know that it is reading game and you are expected to make reads. So what is your read of the game.
It’s a reading game but also when I’ve played mafia, we haven’t played with a D1. So you never start with no information. I figured d1 here would be pretty much all noise and no signal.

celaph

#948 Post by celaph » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:05 pm

teacon7 wrote:
aarodactyl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:29 am
I haven't played on this forum before, but I played a fair bit in college. Not with nearly this many roles though.

What do you expect will be the hardest part about finding scum in a forum game instead of a live game?

Same goes for @bonatogether and @celaph, but I guess I also want to know what your mafia/werewolf experience is too.
I have not read any of the other games here. Like I think aaro mentioned, the page count put me off.

Re experience, I've played a bit of mafia before mostly on a discord server with friends from high school and college. I've also played a fair amount of blood on the clocktower on that server and in person.

Usually I rely on process of elimination for scum reads though for many reasons I think that works better in blood on the clocktower than it will here. With that in mind, I'll try to make a more conscious attempts to actively hunt players.

teacon7

#949 Post by teacon7 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:59 pm
I don't actually scumread kgray. I don't think I've played a game with them where they weren't scum, so it's a hard one. Good daykill? Probably not unless they make an absolute slip.
Good to know. You're currently voting for her. Why?

As an aside: kgray is a woman. If we always use the pronoun "they," then it's harder to pick that up from context.

The volume of posting, especially...uh, what's a polite word? Is that a distraction that serves town? Do scum hide behind that as a tactic? I probably would.
"scheißposting" is my favorite cicumlocution for it. or just "spam." and yes, scum hide behind it, but it's not exclusively a scum thing. emc posts random erotic imagery, but as far as I know it's NAI for him.
OK< work calls.
heh yeah me too. even here in 'murica.

ND

#950 Post by ND » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:10 pm

I'll state my vote on Vashta is going to hold barring something huge that I catch. I have played many games with Vashta. I know there were several occasions where he would just disengage when he was scum and put out a few nonchalant or casual posts daily. Sometimes he would make it to the end playing like that as scum. I'm not going to stand for it. What he is doing right now is the definition of my meta scum read of him.

I would encourage everyone to take a look at Vashta and also compare that to some of his scum games.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#951 Post by rdrivera2005 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:16 pm

aarodactyl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:01 pm
ND wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:49 pm
aarodactyl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:48 pm
@flum

I wasn’t seriously voting you. Being new, I have absolutely no reads on anyone. The only player I know is bunny and I think he would have shared that resource regardless of alignment. I’ve also never played mafia with him.

##unvote

Now that people are trying to make reads and not just trying to increase their post count, I’ll try to contribute. However, I’m not sure what value I’ll be able to add on d1
It's called reading the game, note-taking, questioning anything that looks fishy. Like your post right there. You signed up for this game you should know that it is reading game and you are expected to make reads. So what is your read of the game.
It’s a reading game but also when I’ve played mafia, we haven’t played with a D1. So you never start with no information. I figured d1 here would be pretty much all noise and no signal.
Sometimes D1 gives interesting information later in the game, but I don't know if it will be the case with such a huge group.

brainbomb

#952 Post by brainbomb » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:57 pm

damo666 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:00 pm
aarodactyl wrote:
teacon7 wrote:

Here's a quick rundown

HR solid player
Bunny hops
kgray wily
Nap new
celaph brainy I assume
Maniac yes
damo me
rdr good
bozo logical
chaqa likes chipotle
yoyo up and down
Vash ?
Neph pleasant
aaro new

Inspired! Inspired without rwealizing it!

Mawaigge
Wove
Twue Wove

Bonatogether

#953 Post by Bonatogether » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:57 pm

teacon7 wrote:

I started reading one ages ago, but then life happened and it got dropped. What's a good solid game that yall would recommend?

People can consider and fine tune their responses here.

I've done mafia and werewolf before - a lot of in person stuff, where it's much easier to tell if someone's lying because of their voice or their usual strategy. This is my first forum game, so I don't know anyone's strategy. I'll probably binge read a game or two to figure people out.

brainbomb

#954 Post by brainbomb » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:00 pm

@ghug
Do you agree that in order to earn a nk you gotta be doing something right?
especially early?

I find the fact that vecna had that many town reads to be a nice effort at fear inducing. We all do it. scum doesnt know what scary reads will srvive long term

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#955 Post by ghug » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:05 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:00 pm
@ghug
Do you agree that in order to earn a nk you gotta be doing something right?
especially early?

I find the fact that vecna had that many town reads to be a nice effort at fear inducing. We all do it. scum doesnt know what scary reads will srvive long term
Plenty of early nightkills are people who are known to so things right in general, or purple who crumbed a little too obviously.

Why do you think his townreads would be the scary thing and not his scumreads?

brainbomb

#956 Post by brainbomb » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:06 pm

It could be either. he started off the game voting me so my faith in his scumreads is nonexistant.

:smirk:

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#957 Post by ghug » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:06 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:57 pm
damo666 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:00 pm
aarodactyl wrote:

Here's a quick rundown

HR solid player
Bunny hops
kgray wily
Nap new
celaph brainy I assume
Maniac yes
damo me
rdr good
bozo logical
chaqa likes chipotle
yoyo up and down
Vash ?
Neph pleasant
aaro new

Inspired! Inspired without rwealizing it!

Mawaigge
Wove
Twue Wove
A bwoken cwock is white twice a day

Vecna

#958 Post by Vecna » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:15 pm

ghug wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:37 pm
Hellenic Riot wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:33 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:08 am

You don't have good taste, mixing whiskey (a good scotch specially) with Coke or energy drinks is just a sacrilege.
Agreed. Ruining a good soda by putting whiskey in it is an unforgivable crime
HR only drinks cider. It's really odd.
african ciders are pretty great

Maniac
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#959 Post by Maniac » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:17 pm

BunnyGo wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:58 pm
Maniac wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:56 pm
worcej wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:51 am
No, you're reads are usually made with an inherent lack of wisdom and are more WIFOM than anything.
Ahhh that's refreshing. "Wine In Front Of Me" gets a mention so early. My first 30 games were full of it and it was barely mentioned last game.
I mentioned it 11 times last game...
Did you BunnyGo? To be honest I ignore most of what you say. I don't find you informative or funny.

Vecna

#960 Post by Vecna » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:17 pm

worcej wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:42 pm
Vecna wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:31 am
kgray wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:30 am
Townreads so far are emc, brain, and durga.

Suspicious of teacon and Vecna.
pretty easy but I cant disagree

why not make note of Worcej's similair reads? This post is pretty much a carbon copy
I did find that strange too...
Then why not make mention untill I do?