Updated Politics Forum Rules

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

Updated Politics Forum Rules

#1 Post by bo_sox48 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:10 pm

As part of the changes that you all wanted to see with the politics forum, we are changing the rules here to allow for a looser environment and more freedom of discussion. You will be able to find these rules in this thread and at the top of the forum page when you click on the politics forum.

------------------------------------------------------------

Politics Forum Rules:

1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.

As always, these rules are not exhaustive and the moderator team retains the right to step in if we believe that posted content is not acceptable on this forum.

If you believe something violates these rules, please send an email to [email protected] and use the report button on the offending post.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

bo_sox48
webDiplomacy Administrator

leon1122

Re: Updated Politics Forum Rules

#2 Post by leon1122 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:14 pm

I fail to see how these rules differ from the rules on the rest of the forum.

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3 Post by StevenC. » Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm

leon1122 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:14 pm

The politics forum was more strictly moderated than the rest of the forum, or that's the impression I got.

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Tue May 08, 2018 10:00 pm

leon1122 wrote:
From what I can see, the rule about using common sense no longer applies. Huzzah!

leon1122

#5 Post by leon1122 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:21 pm

StevenC. wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm
leon1122 wrote:

The politics forum was more strictly moderated than the rest of the forum, or that's the impression I got.
I've never seen the reason given for a silencing be anything other than what is listed here.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:07 am

leon1122 wrote:
As these threads aren't on the home page, we are less worried about how they might appear to someone that isn't actively seeking out this forum and more interested in lessening the interruptions. As such, our intention is to enforce these rules leniently so that your discussions, vitriolic as they may become, are interrupted less by the moderators. If something is over the top to the point where we cannot ignore it or let it go with a brief warning, then we will enforce these rules, but otherwise, we expect that these changes will result in fewer interventions by the moderators.

Regarding the final rule, as I am making the assumption that that is the one you are most concerned with, we do not and will never condone an environment where racism, sexism, homophobia, or other derogatory content is okay. That rule is not going to change, ever. That completely laissez-faire environment will never come back. This is a compromise and we hope that it works out in such a way that the moderators hardly, if ever at all, have to get involved in this forum. It takes up our time and resources in ways that nobody likes. If those using the forum take it as a license to go over the top, then we will have little choice to undo these changes, so please do your part and help us ensure that this is a good change by avoiding testing the waters, so to speak. If those using the forum can work within these rules, though, you'll see less of me and less of the rest of the moderator team.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#7 Post by ghug » Wed May 09, 2018 12:53 am

To add, we've specifically removed wording about targeted attacks in that aren't direct bigotry or doxxing as covered by rules 2 and 5, so you're all welcome to be slightly meaner to each other. The rest of the forum should still remain free of the vitriol we all used to know and love.

Octavious

#8 Post by Octavious » Wed May 09, 2018 12:33 pm

ghug wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:53 am
To add, we've specifically removed wording about targeted attacks in that aren't direct bigotry or doxxing as covered by rules 2 and 5, so you're all welcome to be slightly meaner to each other. The rest of the forum should still remain free of the vitriol we all used to know and love.
Am I misunderstanding what you mean by a "derogatory post" then? Perhaps the mods would be kind enough to demonstrate how to mean and vitriolic without being derogatory? :)

dancing queen

#9 Post by dancing queen » Wed May 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:33 pm
ghug wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:53 am
Am I misunderstanding what you mean by a "derogatory post" then? Perhaps the mods would be kind enough to demonstrate how to mean and vitriolic without being derogatory? :)
"Sidney Crosby, one of the greatest hockey players to ever play the game, orders extra croutons with his salad ... and doesn't eat them."

See? Not that hard.

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm

dancing queen wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:15 pm
"Sidney Crosby, one of the greatest hockey players to ever play the game, orders extra croutons with his salad ... and doesn't eat them."

See? Not that hard
I have literally no idea what that means :P

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#11 Post by ghug » Wed May 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm
dancing queen wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:15 pm

See? Not that hard
I have literally no idea what that means :P
He called him a great hockey player.

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Wed May 09, 2018 4:59 pm

:neutral:

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#13 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Dear Octavious, I think it means I can call Capt Brad a cork brained clown & Peregrine Falcon an obtuse blockhead & they can​ use similarly complimentary terms to describe me. But I cannot use "cork brained nig nog gollywog" because that has a racist interpretation, or an "obtuse womanish blockhead" because that is sexist.
You're an intelligent chap, it's a fairly straightforward proposition & if I can comprehend it, then unless I'm missing something & that is always possible I might suspect that you might be indulging in a bit of light twolling of Ghug.

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:22 pm

Major, look around you. Anything remotely political is hidden from the sight of all but the most enthusiastic members. Jmo has hidden at least one additional thread purely on the basis of "idiocy". The forum is being killed off as anything other than a platform for talking about diplomacy and mafia.

The rule is very clear that posts are not allowed to be derogatory. Calling someone an obtuse blockhead is derogatory. Either change the rule to match what the mods are suggesting is allowed, or keep the rule and stop pretending that the politics threads will be treated any differently.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#15 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:20 am

When this Daffy old fuddy duddy calls Peregrine Falcon an obtuse blockhead it's a "term of endearment" & when I call Capt Brad a cork brained clown that's an expression of the love we share, as any fool knows. Perhaps because you are so wise and nobodies fool dear Octavious you may have missed that.
I thought it was well understood that this is a website, not a democracy. Think of this place as a gulag run by a totalitarian dictatorship where the inmates are free to enter or leave, but if they choose to stay in the gulag that is on the understanding that they have few rights and agree to abide by the rules, whatever those rules are. Eg. If you think I'm happy about the abolition of PPSC and the way it's defenders were "railroaded"..Well I'm NOT !!! But what are my choices ?.. suck it up and accept it ( with the occasional whining about it ).. or leave.

CroakandDagger

#16 Post by CroakandDagger » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:29 am

Only occasional? I'm out.

MajorMitchell

#17 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:44 am

I have to dodge off now dearest Octavious, please don't interpret "dear Octavious" as derogatory. The benevolent dictator ruling my domestic totalitarian gulag has just commanded that I am not allowed to play, but have tasks to attend to whilst she is off at the hairdresser getting her blue rinse & "perm". The interpretations of rules here by the Almighty Mods is an idyllic Oasis of Reason compared to interpretations of rules by Her Imperiousness, my lovely Fire Breathing MemSahib.

MajorMitchell

#18 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:46 am

I did just plus one your post Croak & Dallier.

CroakandDagger

#19 Post by CroakandDagger » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 am

Thanks babe. I live for those sweet +1's.

MajorMitchell

#20 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 am

... When Croak 'n Dallier walked in the joint, ( boom boom )
We could tell he was a Diplomat of Distinction,
A real Big Spender,
Hey Big Spender, spend a little time with Ghug.
He might not pop his cork for any champagne Charlie
Or Demonic Floozie,
But for you Big Spender, .......