Newb Questions

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Dugrath

Newb Questions

#1 Post by Dugrath » Thu May 28, 2020 9:26 pm

Hello fellow diplomats,

I recently found out about this game and have dived in. Love it. This website seems to be most active so I made an account. (A few things I wish were different (like bigger chatbox and message box and map - minor things).

Coming from the conspiracy Android app I had a question or 2 about certain gameplay functions.

In the app, if someone missed a turn it would auto defend and if they left the game (nobody could rejoin, which is a nice feature on here) it would also auto defend. I have looked but can't find an answer, what happens if someone misses their turn after the set delays are up? If the spot doesn't get filled and is just empty, does it stay that way or does the position always remain open for someone to possibly join?

Also, as far as I'm aware their is no analyze tool function? I made an account on backstabbr to compensate for that, but perhaps I was just missing it? Not sure.

Thank you!

e.m.c^42

Re: Newb Questions

#2 Post by e.m.c^42 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:40 pm

If you run out of delays, you go into civil disorder and leave the game, and the country in CD will simply process with all hold orders (the default).

An open spot will remain open for subbing until filled, although it's more difficult for password protected games, as you'd have to give the password out first.

You can access the large map and see more such as failed supports by clicking this button (https://imgur.com/a/RLgXGvw)

I'm not exactly what you mean by "analyze tool function" - someone else will have to weigh in - but there is a "preview moves" button (see previous image), and only valid orders can be selected in the dropdown. However, there's nothing preventing you from entering contradicting orders such as support hold for a moving unit.

Hope this helps :D

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#3 Post by Squigs44 » Fri May 29, 2020 1:16 am

if by analyze you mean a sandbox feature, we do not currently have one. Its on our list of things to add.

Dugrath

#4 Post by Dugrath » Fri May 29, 2020 3:53 am

Ahh thank you both so much for replying. Thats extremely helpful. Good to know once someone get the CD then it remains open and they take the standard def measure until filled.

Yeah i noticed the enlarge map, definitely helpful.

Yeah the analyze tool was specifically like planning moves and see what would work best. So a sandbox like what was mentioned. I was told about backstabbr sandbox, so currently using that since there appears to not be one here yet.

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Fri May 29, 2020 7:31 am

Dugrath wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:53 am
... I was told about backstabbr sandbox, so currently using that since there appears to not be one here yet.
That's correct.

You could also download a program called jDip which does the same (Sandbox).

Dugrath

#6 Post by Dugrath » Fri May 29, 2020 5:36 pm

Claesar wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:31 am
Dugrath wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:53 am
... I was told about backstabbr sandbox, so currently using that since there appears to not be one here yet.
That's correct.

You could also download a program called jDip which does the same (Sandbox).
Funny you mentioned that, i did! Unfortunately there's some compatibility issue since im running linux. Kept getting a corruption output when i went to load a saved game. I really like it better too.

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#7 Post by cdngooner » Fri May 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Here's another Sandbox that I prefer to Backstabbr's: http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Politics/Judge.

Click "clear board", place your units, set your orders et voila!

Emperor Joshua

Newb Questions

#8 Post by Emperor Joshua » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:27 pm

If two units bounce in a province, is it possible for a third unit to retreat to that province during the Retreats turn?

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#9 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:34 pm

Emperor Joshua wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:27 pm
If two units bounce in a province, is it possible for a third unit to retreat to that province during the Retreats turn?
No, a unit cannot retreat to a contested territory

Emperor Joshua

#10 Post by Emperor Joshua » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:56 am

In the World Diplomacy map, is it possible for a fleet to pass directly from Red Sea to Mediterranean Sea (or vice versa)? Or does it have to move from Red Sea to Egypt and then to Mediterranean Sea on the following turn? Also, what are the technical Diplomacy names for these two types of provinces (I think "canal provinces" is one of those, but I am not sure which is which)?

Mercy

#11 Post by Mercy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:27 am

It has to move from Red Sea to Egypt and then to Mediterranean Sea on the following turn, similar to how you have to move through Constantinople first if you want to move between Black Sea and Aegean Sea.

The word you are looking for is "amphibious (terrain)".