What the hell happened?!

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Durga

Re: What the hell happened?!

#101 Post by Durga » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Deleting posts made by banned members is fine. But the mod team is still too trigger happy.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#102 Post by CommanderByron » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:13 pm

Since the idea has been floated by someone more important than me.

If we went about logging out deletions publicly clearly we wouldn’t also log the content of the messages (that defeats the purpose of deleting them). So would the purpose of such a log be to show the frequency of deletions and what exactly would that prove/accomplish?

I’m not doubting it I’m just trying to grasp what the end goal is for this.

Rjmcf
Code Contributor
Code Contributor

#103 Post by Rjmcf » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:32 pm

Something akin to what happens on Reddit when a post is deleted where it just leaves [deleted] in its wake. Partly it gives something for subsequent conversations to reference, it makes it easier to understand the flow of discourse if everyone knows how many posts were deleted, who posted them, etc.

It might also help it feel less authoritarian. You can see my views on this from my previous comments, I’m completely on the mods’ side, but I agree that things just disappearing without a trace feels little... unpleasant.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#104 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:10 am

Rjmcf wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:32 pm
Something akin to what happens on Reddit when a post is deleted where it just leaves [deleted] in its wake. Partly it gives something for subsequent conversations to reference, it makes it easier to understand the flow of discourse if everyone knows how many posts were deleted, who posted them, etc.

It might also help it feel less authoritarian. You can see my views on this from my previous comments, I’m completely on the mods’ side, but I agree that things just disappearing without a trace feels little... unpleasant.
Right now we actually can't do that with the phpbb constraints. A mod would have to post afterwards and let people know where in the conversation they'd deleted something, since we can't insert at a specific point. But it's something that I'll look into on phpbb mods and see if there are any that might be useful in that regard.