MAFIA 52: You Can't Take The Sky From Me [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Foxcastle

Re: MAFIA 52: You Can't Take The Sky From Me [HIDDEN]

#1421 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:22 pm

I dislike the plan to hunt for Reaver press violations. One, I think it's likely that press violations are designed to be non-trivial to solve. There are a thousand other ways that they could be designed... Can't post after a vote. Can't post after players X, Y, Z. Can't have a forum timestamp that ends in #. Can't have a post number that ends in #. That's not even including possible variability... Can't have a forum timestamp/post number that ends in a number equal to the phase number. Maybe Reaver rules are different in the night phase. We just don't know and I think it's likely designed for exercises like this to be futile.

Two, having people repost dozens of posts in an effort to trigger a Reaver violation is going to make this thread unbearable to read. That's hundreds of extra nonsense posts, all unformatted (i.e., unquoted, decontextualized) that are just going to cause confusion. If the game were just about finding Reaver violations, sure, we could do that forever, but it's not, and I think the downside of hunting Reaver press violations creates a lot of smoke and noise that will just make it harder to win.

Foxcastle

#1422 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:17 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:12 pm
bozotheclown wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 pm
If the PRs do not claim their roles, I think Foxcastle is a good choice to shoot, he disappeared when I asked him to claim his role at the beginning of N1.
As I said when I showed up, I was busy last night, and that's beside the fact that your demand that I claim immediately was met with resistance. It looks like I am clear to do so now, though? Is that the consensus?
For now, just claim whether you're a VT or a PR. Within the next 5 minutes. Thanks. ;)
VT

bozotheclown

#1423 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:25 pm

Confirmed PR
xorxes (Captain)

Claimed PR
teacon
darg
Tom Bombadil
rdrivera
damo
worcej
Jamie
Goldfinger
Kalel
BunnyGo
peterlund (Hero of Mudtown)
Superstition (Companion)

Claimed VT
Chaqa
emc
bozo
Temasek
ND
Foxcastle

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1424 Post by Chaqa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:26 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:22 pm
I dislike the plan to hunt for Reaver press violations. One, I think it's likely that press violations are designed to be non-trivial to solve. There are a thousand other ways that they could be designed... Can't post after a vote. Can't post after players X, Y, Z. Can't have a forum timestamp that ends in #. Can't have a post number that ends in #. That's not even including possible variability... Can't have a forum timestamp/post number that ends in a number equal to the phase number. Maybe Reaver rules are different in the night phase. We just don't know and I think it's likely designed for exercises like this to be futile.

Two, having people repost dozens of posts in an effort to trigger a Reaver violation is going to make this thread unbearable to read. That's hundreds of extra nonsense posts, all unformatted (i.e., unquoted, decontextualized) that are just going to cause confusion. If the game were just about finding Reaver violations, sure, we could do that forever, but it's not, and I think the downside of hunting Reaver press violations creates a lot of smoke and noise that will just make it harder to win.
I just did mine, and it was one post that took about five minutes to make. It's not that much work, and about 2/3 of the people are only a few posts (or just one) making it pretty trivial to accomplish.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1425 Post by Chaqa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:26 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:23 pm
Chaqa wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:17 pm
Foxcastle wrote:

As I said when I showed up, I was busy last night, and that's beside the fact that your demand that I claim immediately was met with resistance. It looks like I am clear to do so now, though? Is that the consensus?
For now, just claim whether you're a VT or a PR. Within the next 5 minutes. Thanks. ;)
VT
Greatly appreciated.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1426 Post by Chaqa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 pm

Confirmed PR
xorxes (Captain)

Claimed PR
teacon
darg
Tom Bombadil
rdrivera
damo
worcej
Jamie
Goldfinger
Kalel
BunnyGo
peterlund (Hero of Mudtown)
Superstition (Companion)

Claimed VT
Chaqa
emc
bozo
Temasek
ND
Foxcastle

Dead
FlaviusAetius (VT)

bozotheclown

#1427 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:29 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
bozotheclown wrote:
If the PRs do not claim their roles, I think Foxcastle is a good choice to shoot, he disappeared when I asked him to claim his role at the beginning of N1.
Your last post at the beginning of N1 was a question about the claims. Why did you ask the question if you were too busy? Also, if you were around to see the "resistance" of players saying not to claim at night, why didn't you respond?

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1428 Post by Chaqa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:31 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:29 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
bozotheclown wrote:
Your last post at the beginning of N1 was a question about the claims. Why did you ask the question if you were too busy? Also, if you were around to see the "resistance" of players saying not to claim at night, why didn't you respond?
The few posts he made scream "lurking scum" to me, tbh.

worcej

#1429 Post by worcej » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:28 am
BunnyGo wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:21 am
OK! I have a hypothesis about the reavers with a confirmed hit on a candidate. Could everyone who has claimed PR please post an @ symbol?

Thank you!

And yes...maybe you'll find my reaver candidate too...he's posted it just once, shortly before the announcement, and by accident as it was in a quote.
By my check - Rivera, Tom, and worcej all have only made one post with an '@' in it, and all shortly before/around the press violation - so these three would be the ones I'd really like to see it from.
@Chaqa - I am not a Reaver...

@Bunny - satisfied?

Foxcastle

#1430 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:26 pm
Foxcastle wrote:

I just did mine, and it was one post that took about five minutes to make. It's not that much work, and about 2/3 of the people are only a few posts (or just one) making it pretty trivial to accomplish.
Yeah, I'm not saying it's hard to do, I'm saying that because it's so easy to do, that's what makes it so problematic. I just have very low expectations that it will work.

Also, who is going back through and double checking that each post matches? If the press violation is "can't use the word write", is someone going back to check that a Reaver candidate didn't type "vvrite" when they reposted?

And if someone is going back to doublecheck that all posts match exactly, is that player's time being used wisely? (There are absolutely players here whose time is best spent on menial tasks ;) )

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1431 Post by Chaqa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:36 pm

worcej wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:34 pm
Chaqa wrote:
BunnyGo wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:21 am
OK! I have a hypothesis about the reavers with a confirmed hit on a candidate. Could everyone who has claimed PR please post an @ symbol?

Thank you!

And yes...maybe you'll find my reaver candidate too...he's posted it just once, shortly before the announcement, and by accident as it was in a quote.
By my check - Rivera, Tom, and worcej all have only made one post with an '@' in it, and all shortly before/around the press violation - so these three would be the ones I'd really like to see it from.

@Bunny - satisfied?
We came up with a new plan to sort them out. Repost all your posts between Kitsune's GM calls on pages 27 and 32, with their original formatting, similar to how I did a page or two ago.

No rush on this - based on how Reaver's work, it should stay effective, but it would help to clear people as we go.

worcej

#1432 Post by worcej » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:34 am
ND wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:31 am
@chaq the Camaro: you are a moron
I'm sorry your small, bad toupee'd-yellow-haired brain can only use such small and crude words, ND. Hopefully 2020 will see you experience a lot of personal growth... especially in the hands.
I must say, I find your ND/Trump thing to be hilarious.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1433 Post by Chaqa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Chaqa wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:26 pm
Foxcastle wrote:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's hard to do, I'm saying that because it's so easy to do, that's what makes it so problematic. I just have very low expectations that it will work.

Also, who is going back through and double checking that each post matches? If the press violation is "can't use the word write", is someone going back to check that a Reaver candidate didn't type "vvrite" when they reposted?

And if someone is going back to doublecheck that all posts match exactly, is that player's time being used wisely? (There are absolutely players here whose time is best spent on menial tasks ;) )
Bunny and I are taking on this one, despite your little jab. It's not too hard to compare them.

worcej

#1434 Post by worcej » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:36 pm
worcej wrote:
Chaqa wrote:

@Bunny - satisfied?
I’ll have to not be on mobile to do that - give me a couple hours.

We came up with a new plan to sort them out. Repost all your posts between Kitsune's GM calls on pages 27 and 32, with their original formatting, similar to how I did a page or two ago.

No rush on this - based on how Reaver's work, it should stay effective, but it would help to clear people as we go.

BunnyGo

#1435 Post by BunnyGo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:38 pm

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:40 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:39 pm
@Tom - how do you react to Peter claiming he is shooting you?
I think peter is terrible. Shooting into PRs that can massclaim is dumb considering when we do massclaim his pool of targets will be greatly reduced
Sigh...I’m starting to think I should just go to work. This all feels dumb.

Foxcastle

#1436 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:40 pm

bozotheclown wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:29 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
bozotheclown wrote:
I was making/enjoying New Year's Day dinner with friends. I had enough time before it started to say hi and let people know I was coming in, and checked the thread a bit throughout the evening on my phone. But yeah, I'm not cutting out of dinner so I can fight on the internet.

Foxcastle

#1437 Post by Foxcastle » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:41 pm

Chaqa wrote:
How, exactly, do the Reavers work?

bozotheclown

#1438 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:43 pm

BunnyGo wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:38 pm
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:40 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:39 pm
@Tom - how do you react to Peter claiming he is shooting you?
I think peter is terrible. Shooting into PRs that can massclaim is dumb considering when we do massclaim his pool of targets will be greatly reduced
Sigh...I’m starting to think I should just go to work. This all feels dumb.
What do you think of PRs claiming their roles? Would you like to force the issue by claiming your role? There are 3 scum to be caught in the PR claims.

bozotheclown

#1439 Post by bozotheclown » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:43 pm

worcej wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:37 pm
Chaqa wrote:
worcej wrote:

@Bunny - satisfied?
I’ll have to not be on mobile to do that - give me a couple hours.

What do you think of PRs claiming their roles? Would you like to force the issue by claiming your role? There are 3 scum to be caught in the PR claims.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1440 Post by Chaqa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:45 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:41 pm
Chaqa wrote:
How, exactly, do the Reavers work?
We had a series of GM calls on the subject awhile back, but basically they have a pre-defined set of press rules to follow, that don't change, and are the same for all Reavers. There may or may not be multiple levels of violations, we're unsure.