Mercy in a Draw-Size Scoring game

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
LuckyCharmQuark
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Mercy in a Draw-Size Scoring game

#1 Post by LuckyCharmQuark » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:20 am

Would it be good form/expected for someone to suggest to the global message thread that country X should be allowed to survive with one territory - non-supply center?

Thanks for your time

pyxxy
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Mercy in a Draw-Size Scoring game

#2 Post by pyxxy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:28 am

Expected is a strong word, and when scoring is draw-sized, if a 1-2 center power can be cut out easily without endangering a potential draw, it's...a matter of diplomacy.

Part of the game is cultivating relationships, and so if someone plays well enough that, despite being otherwise useless/irrelevant, their allies/other players don't want to eliminate them...then they're good at the game :)

What I'm trying to say is that in my opinion, it's less good form/a social norm and more the players you're playing with and whether or not the weaker party has convinced the other(s) to keep them alive.

Specifically if you're talking about drawing in DSS (draw-sized scoring) with a power with "one territory - non-supply center", the way scoring works (I think) is that until the build phase (winter) has resolved, any powers with units on the board (even if they no longer control any centers) will be part of the draw. So it's the same question as keeping a 1/2/3 center power in the draw, as far as points and GR (Ghost Ratings) go. So...not necessarily expected.

But hopefully a more experienced member of the site could confirm my understanding about scoring?

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3 Post by swordsman3003 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:49 am

There are players who will absolutely keep around rivals who are not necessary to the draw. It's common. I guess you could call this "mercy."

I hate it. But, when it is my ass on the line, I will do everything I can to manipulate players into keeping me around.

And there are players like me who will ruthlessly cut down the draw (so long as there is a way of doing so without the match getting thrown to a solo). I consider this respectful of spirit of competition.

I love it. When you are facing me, your pleas for mercy will fall on deaf ears.

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:06 pm

If you have the power to determine the fate of a rival you've earned the right to do whatever you see fit. Whether others consider your choice to be good form or otherwise should be completely irrelevant to you. You're a Diplomacy player, and if you have the power your word is law.

From a personal point of view I dislike very large draws, as invariably they are a sign people haven't been trying hard enough. But at the end of the day a draw is draw. Whether it's a 3 way or 4 way I couldn't really care less about. You've failed to solo, you've not been wiped out, and I have better things to do than waste hours of my life achieving a slightly different grade of mediocre.

If there's a player who has particularly impressed me in a game I will actively try to keep them in the draw. If a player has been particularly irritating or poor I will insist on taking them out. Aside from that, I'm not too bothered either way.

mhsmith0

#5 Post by mhsmith0 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:47 pm

For both better and worse, I tend to take the attitude that the harder I have to try and the more hours in a game I'm forced to put in, the better of a result I demand.

I'm happy enough to take a very easy 3wd, and sometimes even a very easy 4wd, but if it's a brutal slog that takes huge effort, I'm gonna be VERY uncomfortable w/ a 4wd, and maybe I'll think that 3wd is too much.

Obviously if I can solo, that's a good thing to go for, but at the same time if it's obvious I'm gonna have to work really hard for it (as opposed to simply seizing an opportunity that's there), I'm usually more like "meh, that's a good draw and I don't mind moving on" *shrugs*

Mercy

#6 Post by Mercy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:12 am

Yes, I do play Draw-Size Scoring games.