Post here if you live in a Third World s***hole

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
CAPT Brad

Re: Post here if you live in a Third World s***hole

#21 Post by CAPT Brad » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Trump is not wrong.
Haitian Shithole: In 2009 the US Census estimated that 830,000 Haitian Americans live in the U.S.to escape the oppressive dictatorships, political unrest, economic strains, and natural disasters.

Salvadorian Shithole: the Salvadoran Civil War, the massive migration to the U.S. was a result of the political violence as much and the deteriorating economic conditions in El Salvador.Young men, escaping the country from being drafted to the military or the guerilla, made the majority of these immigrants/refugees.

Sudanese Shithole: With the Civil War in Sudan, in 1983, many Sudanese and South Sudanese were since 1990, accepted in the United States, most arriving the United States after 1991. Political dissidents in Northern Sudan emigrated fleeing of oppressive Muslim fundamentalist regime in Khartoum. (So much for peaceful muslims)

CAPT Brad

#22 Post by CAPT Brad » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Redurgatate, there hasn't been a civil war to flee from in Kansas since 1865. The worst of Kansas is paradise next to the shitholes of Haiti, El Salvador and Sudan. there are no Kansians emigrating to those places

Jeff Kuta

#23 Post by Jeff Kuta » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 pm

How many authoritarian shithole governments has the United States propped up over the years?

Jeff Kuta

#24 Post by Jeff Kuta » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Imagine though, if 45 had called them "deplorable" countries...

Randomizer

#25 Post by Randomizer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 pm

I used to live in a First World country, but it's democratic government has been take over by a dictator that is trying to eliminate the constitution and other branches of government.

Any recommendations on where to move from the US of Trump.

CroakandDagger

#26 Post by CroakandDagger » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Try Mexico. I hear it's much less oppressive and corrupt.

Durga

#28 Post by Durga » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 pm

"Additionally, Norway is the world’s happiest country (the U.S. ranks 14), the place with the most political freedom (the U.S. ranks 45), most press freedom (the U.S. ranks 43rd), and most prosperity (the U.S. ranks 18). Simply put, there’s little economic incentive for Norwegians to immigrate to the U.S."

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#29 Post by Hellenic Riot » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 pm

I wonder how Americans would like the way Norway copes with that deregulation: Public tax returns that mean anyone can look up the salaries of anyone they know on an online computer system.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#30 Post by peterlund » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 pm

Was he talking about his own backyard there? I cannot imagine why anyone would like to move to a country ruled by clowns and where people choose to put clowns in charge.

ksako8

#31 Post by ksako8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 pm

There is little incentive to move to the US from Norway, Sweden, Denmark or the Netherlands period. Not only because of economic reasons.
And Haiti, El Salvador and many African countries are in many ways not as nice as the US. However, to call them what the president of the USA calls them, is just not the way the highest public officer should behave. Eventually, also the USA needs other countries to achieve certain goals. The behaviour of the current US president makes it politically smart for other countries to oppose mr Trump. It does not help to make the US great again. There is nothing great about this behaviour.

JamesYanik

#32 Post by JamesYanik » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:28 am

Hellenic Riot wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 pm
I wonder how Americans would like the way Norway copes with that deregulation: Public tax returns that mean anyone can look up the salaries of anyone they know on an online computer system.
I would legitimately be fine with this for a federal level. federal regulations lifted with all federal tax receipts made public: why not? the only regulations I'd argue for are some basic banking ones, but before any of this can occur there's larger systemic issues with corruption that need to be dealt with.

but public records of who pays how much tax? I'm fine with that. frankly the state needs transparency in its operations. after you give up the tax, it ain't your money anymore.

Durga wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 pm
"Additionally, Norway is the world’s happiest country (the U.S. ranks 14), the place with the most political freedom (the U.S. ranks 45), most press freedom (the U.S. ranks 43rd), and most prosperity (the U.S. ranks 18). Simply put, there’s little economic incentive for Norwegians to immigrate to the U.S."
1. happiness is NOT an economic measure. that's dumb. many people have been happy about VERY shitty policy, and only once the policies collapsed were they unhappy.
2. yes, the culturally homogenous small population is easy to manage. maybe we should take a clue from that in the USA, and allow more individual state power and less federal power.
3. prosperity... and growth? because Norway has been in a decline for PPP per capita and GDP for half a decade now. meanwhile I'd argue that the problem for the USA is its turning to European models in gov't intrusion, without allowing for freer markets. meanwhile, Sweden and Denmark, to finish off the nordic bloc, are well behind us on average in many realms, Norway being a surprising exception to the trend, that seems to be correcting itself
4. press freedom... but no free speech.

http://norwaytoday.info/news/man-convic ... islamists/

now this guy clearly was an asshole, but being fined that much money... and if he can't pay it, he's off to jail. for non-violent speech. haha, no thanks Norway.

5. lower taxes. (government taking less of your hard earned cash). that's a pretty big incentive. also better job growth. THOSE ARE ACTUAL ECONOMIC REASONS, the things you listed were just social things. and "prosperity" is a vague measurement: move to America as from Norway and work your way into a middle-upper class life, and the living standards are far better. plus, it's not ALWAYS cold here.

ksako8 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 pm
There is little incentive to move to the US from Norway, Sweden, Denmark or the Netherlands period. Not only because of economic reasons.
And Haiti, El Salvador and many African countries are in many ways not as nice as the US. However, to call them what the president of the USA calls them, is just not the way the highest public officer should behave. Eventually, also the USA needs other countries to achieve certain goals. The behaviour of the current US president makes it politically smart for other countries to oppose mr Trump. It does not help to make the US great again. There is nothing great about this behaviour.
I entirely agree that Trump is an idiot, but "USA needs other countries to achieve certain goals" buddy you have that one BACKWARDS. however not wanting mass immigration, and calling places shitholes... it's bad for a public servant to say such things, 100% agree, but that's for political posturing. Haiti is in pretty shitty shape right now. that's why people WANT to come to us in America. I'm willing to have almost open borders as long as social programs get cut (because otherwise we'll be in an absolute mess, those two policies cannot coexist) and many people who WANT to come, are good people.

however, there's so much fake outrage. it's not just "how dare he say that" I've seen people say that "he's wrong!"

now the first I agree with, the second is stupid. Look at Central America poverty, violent crime, rape, starvation, diseases, housing... it ain't pretty. so let's at least have an honest conversation on that part of this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTXxOnQU0AAWzYI.jpg:large

ksako8

#33 Post by ksako8 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am

He is indeed not necessarily wrong, but it is not smart to say so.
And if the US doesn't need other countries, why was it the only contry so far to call on article 5 of NATO? Or begging other countries to take Guantanamo Bay people? You need goodwill.

Octavious

#34 Post by Octavious » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:36 am

ksako8 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am
He is indeed not necessarily wrong, but it is not smart to say so.
And if the US doesn't need other countries, why was it the only contry so far to call on article 5 of NATO? Or begging other countries to take Guantanamo Bay people? You need goodwill.
The US can be said to have done many things in recent years. Beg isn't one of them. Using emotive language to make a point is all well and good, but it has to at least resemble reality. When my windscreen got damaged a few months back I called on the insurance company. In no way did I need to, but I've put a lot of money in so I might as well take some out when it makes sense to do so. The US calling on article 5 wasn't much different.

As for whether it is smart or not to say something, we are just used to listening to a small group of Western leaders who all act a certain way. Globally politics isn't like that. The world's biggest democracy in India, which has more citizens than the EU and US combined, is led by someone far more in Trump's mould than a pc Westerner. Same is true of a great many countries. I don't think Trump acting less like a member of the West is holier than thou club will do him damage anywhere other than the West.

Deeply_Dippy

#35 Post by Deeply_Dippy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:59 am

I'll check-in after Brexit.

At the moment we're a 2nd world not-quite-a-sh*thole country.

We got a bump up when Trumpybear cancelled his visit.

ksako8

#36 Post by ksako8 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 pm

The requests to take Guantanamo Bay prisoners were seen here as begging.

Jeff Kuta

#37 Post by Jeff Kuta » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Commie Muslim non-native-born fascist atheist Nazi Kenyan pinko Alinskyite Obama BOWED!!!

That's begging, right?

Octavious

#38 Post by Octavious » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:11 pm

ksako8 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 pm
The requests to take Guantanamo Bay prisoners were seen here as begging.
Remind me where here is?

Ogion

#39 Post by Ogion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm

U.S. checking in. Ain't no shithole like the US

All I can say is that Norewegians pay half as much for health care and get results that are twice as good. I call that smart. Way too smart for Americans to replicate.

Ogion

#40 Post by Ogion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm

I have to wonder whether we can deport the people who have moved to California from shitholes like Ohio or Alabama back where they came from. I like the Salvadorans. They are hard working and have great food, unlike midwesterners and southerners