MAFIA 51 - LONDON BY GASLIGHT [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
FlaviusAetius

Re: MAFIA 51 - LONDON BY GASLIGHT [HIDDEN]

#581 Post by FlaviusAetius » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:25 pm

BunnyGo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:13 pm
Temasek22 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 am

Tell me what you guys think, I want the best for us.
What do you think will be different tomorrow? We'll have Xorxes dead, because at least one scum team is going to target him, and no doctor will (Chaq already said 1 of them won't). We'll have 3 dead bodies. And then what? Wait around for this gang war to continue and sit at home like demur little victorians and hope the scum off each other or the detective gets lucky?
My point EXACTLY, also why do you keep acting like your going to play the game lazy(you said it in above comment) and then dont? stay active my man, no reason to go inactive unless you legitmately have to go to work, but no reason to do it for the entire game

FlaviusAetius

#582 Post by FlaviusAetius » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 pm

BunnyGo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:16 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:08 am
I am missing something here. Why a no-lynch is better on this setup? Sure there could be Mafia deaths at night, but we still need to get info from lynches (and hopefully catch scum) so we can get Mafia (or 3P) later. Or we just sit and wait for Mafia, Jack and Hyde to kill themselves? We won't even know who killed who.
Mostly because scum are legitimately scum hunting too so they're hard to distinguish. Just because I didn't vote for that scum doesn't mean I'm scummy, I just didn't scum read them. And just because I led the wagon on a different scum didn't mean we agreed in scum chat to try, it meant I legitimately found someone from the other team. So there's much less intel from wagons.

That said, sitting home and hoping the different teams off each other seems like town already lost their best asset for that line of play (stupid Chaq outing our side's killer)
Hyde is not our ally, I thought the same thing, he wants to kill us off too
btw I think Chaqa's role would be cooler if she isnt allowed to out herself xd

FlaviusAetius

#583 Post by FlaviusAetius » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:29 pm

xorxes wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:28 pm
BunnyGo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:17 pm
xorxes wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:06 pm

The odd part is he said "that he needs to kill those ladies with his own knife" which are pretty much the same words used in Jack's role description. That makes him a good suspect for Jack. Why would you be reading him as Jekyll?
There are people who you should judge their language choices closely, Vapor is not one of them.
Vapor made a huge blunder in the first attempt of the meme game by not reading the publicly available role descriptions. I don't put it past him that he made a similar blunder this game. I think he's probably town, but I have a "he could very well be Jack the Ripper" based on that wording in the back of my mind.
everyone saw the wording, and its also not a uncommon thing to say, its very unlikely that is the case

bozotheclown

#584 Post by bozotheclown » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:42 pm

It is looking more likely that Computer_Genius is not going to come back to vote, and that would be a dangerous slot if it is a scum slot and gets replaced.

##VOTE Computer_Genius

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#585 Post by Chaqa » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:45 pm

This is the second time now (last night and now) I've seen Kitsune reading the thread but not posting.

KIt, why are you hiding?

Very suspicious.

ND

#586 Post by ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 pm

Is it me or are both of those posts from Bozo and Chaqa bizarre.

1) voting for someone likely to be modkilled or replaced, i.e. a basic non-factor or participant thus far. That doesn't seem like Bozo to me and Bozo is someone I have rated highly in games past. Perhaps, his play has degraded during my retirement and he has joined the ranks of the mental midgets.

2) Chaqa, obviously, sitting around and staring at who is reading the thread. Does anyone actually buy that?

BunnyGo

#587 Post by BunnyGo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:59 pm

ND wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 pm
Chaqa, obviously, sitting around and staring at who is reading the thread. Does anyone actually buy that?
Yes? What’s not to buy?

ND

#588 Post by ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Who actually sits around and looks at 'who's online' all day and takes notes on that. Is that a thing?

FlaviusAetius

#589 Post by FlaviusAetius » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:01 pm

ItsHosuke wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:28 pm
##Vote BobMcBob

I don't really have a good feeling on his posts so far and his wagon looks good, and since Temy's advocating for no lynch it's best for me to stay away from that. :razz:
this perfectly describes the bob wagon rn

BunnyGo

#590 Post by BunnyGo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:03 pm

ND wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:00 pm
Who actually sits around and looks at 'who's online' all day and takes notes on that. Is that a thing?
Yes...

BionicMole

#591 Post by BionicMole » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 pm

ND wrote:
Was he looking at it "all day" or did he just glance down and notice it?

frostwind

#592 Post by frostwind » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:06 pm

Alright, back onto the beaten path...

tl;dr: Analysis of teams on three factors: identifiability, win efficiency, and special abilities (best to worst).

ID: JACK, MORIARTY, BURKE
WE: MORIARTY, BURKE, JACK
SPEC: BURKE, MORIARTY, JACK

OVERALL DANGER (MY OWN GUESS):
MORIARTY > BURKE > JACK IN CASE OF NO NOTEBOOK FOUND BY BURKE

JEKYLL PROBS LEGIT AND WORTH HAVING ALIVE. EARLY FEMALE CLAIM AGAINST JACK VIABLE OR NOT? DISCUSS.

ND wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 pm
Question about this though: “This is my first game so I'm still developing a strategy. I can't give a good scumread right off the bat so…”
I meant that I needed to do an analysis of the playing field, as obviously this multi-factioned mafia is something I'm new to. I begin my analysis of the scum factions on three different aspects: identifiability, win efficiency, and specials [measuring the strength of their special abilities].

OFF TO THE EASIEST IDENTIFIABILITY:
  1. I believe that JACK will be the least identifiable of the three factions. The larger a faction is, the easier I feel it to be able to identify them, if not through their talk, through their votes. Jack has the economy of a small team (himself), and is probably just as likely to look aligned to town as a mafia faction.
  2. Second on the list I find MORIARTY's team to be less identifiable. I believe the information edge that this team has through the evil genius will help the team better conceal themselves. Even if the Grave Robber finds a full investigator's notebook it will only be equal to the information Team 1 can gain.
  3. Finally, BURKE's team, mainly because as I stated before their information edge will be less, plus with a roleblocker more of the team will be visiting at night, leading to easier means of detection (in case one person goes to the wrong place, etc)
SECOND, WIN EFFICIENCY*
(The vaguest of my measures, I can't precisely define it as of yet)
  1. I think that MORIARTY's team has the edge on this one, since I feel that the information advantage they gain will be essential in dispatching their enemies. This will allow them to kill the right people, and combined with their unstoppable-kill ability, even deal with protected targets.
  2. Second on the list would be BURKE'S team, mainly because extra people would add in redundancy compared to the Ripper's one-man-army. The roleblocker could come in very handy in blocking roles that are found by the grave-robber if they hit the investigator.
  3. Finally I have JACK, as he only has nine targets to potentially kill, which could easily be taken out by other teams (on average, 3 kills a night would mean a woman dead per night, meaning Jack has to be very lucky to get all his female kills in. He also is the least redundant: he has to stay alive the whole game without people hanging him in the day.
THIRD, SPECIALS
  1. OK, here BURKE comes in at the top for me. An extra knife to guarantee protection at night is great, but even greater is the potential to find an investigator's notebook. That would be a gold mine of data for them to exploit. While Moriarty's team can only deal with their information by killing, the roleblocker offers an excellent opportunity for BURKE. Especially since the roleblocker's abilities on their own is already a good addition.
  2. Next, I'd count MORIARTY's team to have quite a good lineup. They have an information advantage rivaling the towns, and the unstoppable kill would come in very handy in eliminating worrisome targets. However, since the unstoppable kill is one-use and there isn't other options besides killing for the team, I put them in second.
  3. The only thing going for JACK is his night immunity. Dead last.
Overall, I find that JACK is limited by his poor win efficiency and special ability. Between the other two factions, I'm pretty torn. I'd say if Burke gets the investigator's notebook, they're definitely stronger, but failing that I'd definitely prefer MORIARTY.

One other thing: what would you think of getting a townie to claim female (to go anti-Jack?) I think it's probably a dumb idea, but I'm new to this. I think Jekyll claim by Chaqa is legit. Besides that, I'd think the benefits of having a confirmed town still alive outweigh the dangers of Hyde.

ND

#593 Post by ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:08 pm

BionicMole wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 pm
ND wrote:
Beats me maybe @choka can confirm what exactly he meant. I think its a pretty bizarre statement thu.

frostwind

#594 Post by frostwind » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:08 pm

xorxes wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:06 pm
The odd part is he said "that he needs to kill those ladies with his own knife" which are pretty much the same words used in Jack's role description. That makes him a good suspect for Jack. Why would you be reading him as Jekyll?
Regarding this: I know it's an edge case but what if Jack kills two people, is killed, is graverobbed, and then the graverobber kills the attacker with Jack's knife, who happens to be a goon woman? That's three kills with that knoife.

Kitsune

#595 Post by Kitsune » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 pm

CmdrLikely wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:01 am
Cmdr,
Welcome.
So you normally play F2F, or on another forum?
Yup, F2F Werewolf has a regular group in my town. Sorry about the radio silence, I was at a megagame all day, based on Battle Star Galactica of all things. We found the Cylon, but I was the only person that voted to lynch him. :eyeroll:

Anyways, I'm on holidays this week, so obviously I'm going to be sitting at my computer all day on webdip :)

Sorry, ND, if my shitty icebreaker sounded forced.

We should definitely Lynch instead of NoLynch.

Here's my two cents:
Normally I'd say avoiding conversations is one sign of scumminess, albeit not the strongest. Gauging by the stats at the time of this writing, that would implicate [Myself, Kitsune, Computer_Genius] with 1 post each.
Reading again their posts this game, these players have also been the most not-helpful. With this post, I increase my contribution albeit slightly. I'm lead to believe that this is uncharacteristic of Kitsune, and that they have some IRL excuse so I'm willing to not read into it too much this phase.

At this point, I could enter the discussion on mechanics or talk about other angles on analyzing players' posts, but I'm an Occam's Razor kind of person. I don't see any reason to consider the facts further than necessary for the purpose of Day 1 lynching. The low post quantity and quality leaves the expectation we aren't expected to get much value from Computer_Genius. Even if he is town, I think it's the safest lynch. Change my mind.

##vote Computer_Genius
[/quote]

Bolding mine. Just saying (as I catch up on two days' posting) that I love this and I need to pick your brains on this after the game is done.

I'm running M57 and doing a Battlestar Galactica theme, and I'd be very curious to hear your your group flavoured this.

I have in fact been busy the past few days, a combination of late Nexus Tournament, some server drama and leaving behind basically my entire life for the last six years as part of a move across the city to live with my partner. Formal moving van is tomorrow, but there's oodles of stuff I've had to close off first and I've been working very late into the night on campus.

Day 1 I'm never that impressed by what we glean so I deprioritised this. I do have a few thoughts so far and will hopefully have more once I finish my read through.

frostwind

#596 Post by frostwind » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:19 pm

Kitsune wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 pm
[ /quote ]
Hi Kit! You might have noticed our worries about your one-meme-and-go. Any opinions on the game strategy? (also your quote is broken, so if you don't actually want to vote Computer then I recommend you clarify).

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#597 Post by Chaqa » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:27 pm

ND wrote:
more that I just saw her when i got to the end of the thread

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#598 Post by Chaqa » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:28 pm

BionicMole wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 pm
ND wrote:
^^^ exactly

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#599 Post by Chaqa » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 pm

ND's thing so far has mainly been personal attacks and nitpicking. Has he actually scum hunted?

ND

#600 Post by ND » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:38 pm

If that's what you think @Chaqa then you clearly don't read what I write. But then again, I shouldn't expect anything more from you.