What the hell happened?!

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
zultar
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: What the hell happened?!

#21 Post by zultar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Jmo, please don't be rude. It's not really appropriate to say "feel free to leave at any time."

On behalf of myself and the mod team, we apologize that our new forum does not meet your expectations. If you don't like it, feel fucking free to leave and don't come back. Feel free to find a site that meets your expectations. We'll be here to enjoy our shitty forum and site.

jmo1121109

#22 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:04 pm

Sorry Zultar, sorry all, for my rudeness.

Condescension

#23 Post by Condescension » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 pm

zultar wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 pm
Jmo, please don't be rude. It's not really appropriate to say "feel free to leave at any time."

On behalf of myself and the mod team, we apologize that our new forum does not meet your expectations. If you don't like it, feel fucking free to leave and don't come back. Feel free to find a site that meets your expectations. We'll be here to enjoy our shitty forum and site.
It's great to see the admin team is so open to constructive criticism, and that the new forum has completely eliminated all toxicity!

It sounds like what you want is an echo chamber.

This forum is fucking terrible, there is no excuse for a fuck up this awful and you're clearly only sticking with it out of pride and sunk costs. You're literally taking pride out of running a shitty website.

The only reason anyone uses this piece of shit you run is because Backstabbr doesn't have a ranking system yet.

Durga

#24 Post by Durga » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Condescension wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 pm
zultar wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 pm

It's great to see the admin team is so open to constructive criticism, and that the new forum has completely eliminated all toxicity!

It sounds like what you want is an echo chamber.

This forum is fucking terrible, there is no excuse for a fuck up this awful and you're clearly only sticking with it out of pride and sunk costs. You're literally taking pride out of running a shitty website.

The only reason anyone uses this piece of shit you run is because Backstabbr doesn't have a ranking system yet.
ps zultar no one would be sad if you banned this guy

Condescension

#25 Post by Condescension » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:19 pm

I took a single UX course and that was enough to tell me that this forum is a travesty in literally every single way. Why you would elect to use phpBB is totally beyond me.

If you have any plans to monetize this turd, you can throw it out the window if you're going to continue making changes like this.

Condescension

#26 Post by Condescension » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Durga wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 pm
I thought you hated these changes?

jmo1121109

#27 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:24 pm

This site has never been and will never be a paid site. If with your single UX course you think you could do a better job you are more then welcome to. But as mentioned dozens of times in as many threads, this new forum solved key performance problems that were breaking the site.

The forum is a side function to the site. One that 2% of members ever bothered to use. You can praise the old forum all you like, but 98% of members disagreed with you. And even if they hadn't stopping the forum from breaking games is absolutely worth it. It's not up for debate, it solved a key site problem.

Durga

#28 Post by Durga » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Condescension wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 pm
Durga wrote:
Nope, definitely an improvement, I'm just waiting for avatars now. Also I don't think you know what constructive criticism means

Condescension

#29 Post by Condescension » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:33 pm

I saw some of the earlier defenses of these changes... they are fucking laughable.

If the previous forum's backend was so poorly designed, why would that ever require a total redesign of the entire front end - unless it's just that plugging in phpBB was just a way to cut corners instead of actually fixing the problem.

The fact that the completely simplistic old forum was causing game crashes and required memory dumping is hilarious. Was a chimpanzee writing the SQL?

If your cheap band-aid solution was worth alienating 2% of players, then that's fine. But you can't expect the 2% of users you alienated to be okay with that, especially when the owner of the site uses his new polished turd to attack them. That's the cost of doing the easiest fix.

There was plenty of constructive criticism in this thread (and other threads) before Zultar decided to poison the well. I have no obligation to provide more civilized criticism when the owner has made it clear he just wants people to jerk him off over his forum lifted straight from 2003 Neopets.

jmo1121109

#30 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Condescension wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 pm
Durga wrote:
durga and other members politely provided feedback on how the categorization of threads could be made easier for members to follow. Their advice was taken into consideration, and changes were made. With the goal being to make it as easy to start new games, find tournaments to play in, and to get help on diplomacy topics as possible. And as additional "constructive" advice is provided it will be considered. Most people actually seeking to be constructuve though choose to email the mods instead of calling the forum "fucking terrible".

Feedback is always welcome, but feedback in that format without any request for changes or explaining concerns will be ignored or dismissed as the trolling it is, from me anyways. The actual site staff might be more professional.

zultar

#31 Post by zultar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:37 pm

F E E L F R E E T O L E A V E.

More seriously though, please feel free to leave and don't come back if you don't like the site. We will try our best to bear the loss of your esteemed company. There is really no need to act outraged and complain endlessly. If you don't like the site, leave; your complaining serves no purpose.

Condescension

#32 Post by Condescension » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:41 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 pm
Feedback is always welcome, but feedback in that format without any request for changes or explaining concerns will be ignored or dismissed as the trolling it is, from me anyways. The actual site staff might be more professional.
There's been plenty of feedback in this thread and others that didn't call it "fucking terrible". I wrote what basically amounted to an article in another thread explaining how catastrophic this new forum is.

You should scrap the whole thing. phpBB is a hot mess. Don't have different categories, don't have markup, don't have a separate page to write replies, don't have recursive quotes, don't have this asinine forum PM system.

If you absolutely must have categories, let people tag their threads and allow people to set filter settings. That's all you need to do. You don't need a dozen sections with sub-sections that all require entire new GET requests to access. Navigating this forum is a nightmare. The number of clicks required to do anything is 5x higher than it needs to be and the amount of screen real estate being wasted on useless garbage is astronomical. Trying to convert phpBB into something acceptable in 2018 would be much harder just starting over, or just fixing the old system.

It's hard to give you specific feedback about what changes to make because the whole thing is a hot mess.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#33 Post by bo_sox48 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:44 pm

I miss DipRepublic. It was a nice filter.

Wusti

#34 Post by Wusti » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:54 pm

This kind of BS thread is why I so rarely post on this forum. Too many of the people frequenting it are total dickheads (looking at you Condescension and others of your ilk).

Forum warriors, and those who complain about services on what amounts to a free site, can just fuck off.

Personally, IDGAF about the forum technology - if we can communicate effectively and it makes the guys who donate their time to moderate and curate the site lives easier - its a good change.

In my experience, cunts like these only post their essays on how bad others peoples stuff is because they are simply after a platform for ego and attention seeking. I wonder when they will realise that no one gives a shit.

dpoeftdfotjpo

#35 Post by dpoeftdfotjpo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 pm

Wusti wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:54 pm
This kind of BS thread is why I so rarely post on this forum. Too many of the people frequenting it are total dickheads (looking at you Condescension and others of your ilk).

Forum warriors, and those who complain about services on what amounts to a free site, can just fuck off.

Personally, IDGAF about the forum technology - if we can communicate effectively and it makes the guys who donate their time to moderate and curate the site lives easier - its a good change.

In my experience, cunts like these only post their essays on how bad others peoples stuff is because they are simply after a platform for ego and attention seeking. I wonder when they will realise that no one gives a shit.
Wusti wrote:
Wusti wrote:
if we can communicate effectively

Incrementalist

#36 Post by Incrementalist » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:20 am

This forum might not be as "modern" as Disqus, but I'm assuming it was chosen because it was free, and apart from accidentally boldfacing my entire first post, not too hard to figure out.

Is there any free option that is superior?

SkiingCougar

#37 Post by SkiingCougar » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:38 am

Who banned Condescension...

jmo1121109

#38 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:48 am

He made a multi to get around a cooldown silence unfortunately

Durga

#39 Post by Durga » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:50 am