If the military is overspending and filled with white supremecists should you support the troops?

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: If the military is overspending and filled with white supremecists should you support the troops?

#41 Post by orathaic » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:50 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:49 pm
You're trolling now, aren't you?
Am i? Ireland would send humanitarian aid and not troops, because we don't have many troops to send, and are a neutral country.

But the EU department which i cites specifically stated they have done exercises where they imagine these scenarios.

NATO members are a different matter. And NATO underlies the military defence of Europe.

Any non-NATO member can disband their military and 'all means in their power' would mean only non-military support, right?

Octavious

Re: If the military is overspending and filled with white supremecists should you support the troops?

#42 Post by Octavious » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:27 am

Ok, Ora, tell me

What does this EU department imagine will happen if a none NATO member of the EU is invaded by a foreign power?
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

#43 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am

What would the EU do if Canada invades Malta?

Like you, I am very worried about the threat of Canadian aggression.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#44 Post by orathaic » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:16 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am
What would the EU do if Canada invades Malta?

Like you, I am very worried about the threat of Canadian aggression.
Probably sanctions against Canada as a minimum, but I'm not sure if that is within the power of the EU of the member nations to agree. Place significant diplomatic weight on the US to sanction Canada aswell, which would probably force an end to the conflict... But given that it is a ridiculous scenario to begin with you can entirely argue that Canadians have decided they can afford to lose their entire economy and standard of living to take and hold Malta.

Possible military assistance could include blockading the straits of Gibraltar, give that it is within the EU's power to prevent Canadian navy from reaching Malta and closing off European air space...

I don't know, do you think Canada has orbital insert troops capable of taking a sub-orbital flight and landing at any point on the globe? That would look like a ICBM trajectory, so you could justify deploy missile defences to shoot them down.

I think realisticly though, asking the Canadians nicely would probably clear up the confusion.

Octavious

#45 Post by Octavious » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:39 pm

So, the man who has spent most of this thread arguing that the US doesn't need a big military because Canada isn't a threat, and that the European mutual defence clause is not actually about defence, is now criticising ridiculous scenarios :razz:

You're a joke, Ora. You live in world so far removed from reality that it's pointless trying to argue with you. I am quite content for you to continue to believe whatever fairy stories make you happy :-)
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

taylor4

#46 Post by taylor4 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:51 pm

I recommend reading the post-WWI diplomat, Harold Nicolson; in his SOME PEOPLE chapter "Professor Malone" Uruguay is occupying a fictitious island in the Med populated by Abyssinians in the main.
A roman a clef. It amused the UK's King George V.
The book also details, in semi-fictive style, the meetings of Mussolini and UK Secretary of State Lord Curzon.