Queen Elizabeth II, R.I.P.

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Jamiet99uk

Queen Elizabeth II, R.I.P.

#1 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:01 am

I'm surprised it's me that's posting this, but here we are.

The majority of people in the UK and many in the Commonwealth are mourning the passing of our long-reigning monarch, Elizabeth II. Whatever your view on monarchies in general, she performed her role with dignity and her death is a significant, and sad, event.

May she rest in peace.

Her son King Charles III is now our monarch. I wish him well but I also hope he will be the last person to hold that particular role in anything other than a ceremonial capacity.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Re: Queen Elizabeth II, R.I.P.

#2 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:55 pm

Thank you Jamiet99UK, here in the sunny antipodes many of us have similar thoughts about our sovereign Elixabeth II and her service to the Commonwealth nations.
My own opinion is that Elizabeth I and Elizabeth II are two of the most successful and remarkable British Monarchs.
I heard a weak joke about Charles III & Camilla at a charity cricket match and Camilla refused to bat, because Camilla Parker Bowles...

Ginge86

#3 Post by Ginge86 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:00 pm

Well said Jamie, whilst we may not agree on other subjects, it is nice to see the level of respect you have shown to our Queen.
May she rest in peace.
The Queen is dead, Long live the King!

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:25 pm

The webDip forum didn't feel like a place that would do her justice, but glad to see you posting regardless. I have found myself considerably more upset by her passing than I was expecting.

The forth plinth will soon have a permanent resident, methinks. There's no one else who has enough public respect and affection to fill that space.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#5 Post by orathaic » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:50 pm

I think it is fair to say a good number of people feel very differently.

And i will only add this
“We will not blame him for the crimes of his ancestors if he relinquishes the royal rights of his ancestors; but as long as he claims their rights, by virtue of descent, then, by virtue of descent, he must shoulder the responsibility for their crimes.” —James Connolly on the visit of King George V (1910)