Gifs of black people digital blackface

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Fluminator

Gifs of black people digital blackface

#1 Post by Fluminator » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:28 pm

I've seen a lot of white people complain that people who post gifs of black people are essentially doing a digital version of blackface.

I have yet to see a black person complain about this, but I figured I'd get more input. I use a lot of gifs and memes in my day to day conversations and want to see if my selection is a problem. Do any minorities on here have any input on if I should stop using non-white memes/gifs?

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Gifs of black people digital blackface

#2 Post by Szpoti » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:21 pm

Nowadays, whatever you do in the public sphere will certainly offend somebody in this or another way. It will offend if you include, and it will offend if you exclude.

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:08 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:28 pm
I've seen a lot of white people complain that people who post gifs of black people are essentially doing a digital version of blackface.

I have yet to see a black person complain about this, but I figured I'd get more input. I use a lot of gifs and memes in my day to day conversations and want to see if my selection is a problem. Do any minorities on here have any input on if I should stop using non-white memes/gifs?
What the fuck are you talking about?
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:29 pm

Seriously, what the fuck?

A gif is a picture, albeit in crudely animated form. If I post pictures or memes on the internet, that does not amount to a claim that the picture is a picture of myself and no sensible person could possibly claim that it was.

See these yellow guys right here:

:razz: :eyeroll: :-) :?

None of those represent an accurate portrayal of my actual face. And no sensible person could possibly claim that they are intended to do so.

"Blackface" involves a white person painting their own actual face black.

Posting a gif of a black person is in no possible way analogous to that, unless you also claim to be the person portrayed in the gif.

Jesus S. Cocksucking Christ, Fluminator you do come out with some weird, pointless, irrelevant shit.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Jamiet99uk

#5 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:30 pm

Do you actually care about any of these stupid posts you make about whiny bitches on the internet crying about complete non-issues, or are you just desperate for attention?

Get a new hobby.

Fluminator

#6 Post by Fluminator » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:02 am

That was my initial reaction to but after doing more research there's a lot of articles on it. This isn't something I made up. Just to list a few:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/a3 ... blackface/
https://indie-mag.com/2021/02/digital-blackface/
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/digital ... ction-gifs

If I write these people off as whiny bitches and then get in trouble for it later on, I'll be holding you responsible

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:03 am

Ah, so your concern is that the bunch of deranged loons specified will grow in numbers and eventually obtain some kind of quasi legitimacy, much like the novelty pronoun brigade have done?

Just tell them to sod off, and be grateful that the nutcases of the modern age are eager to advertise the fact rather than pretending to be people worth listening to
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:29 am

Ok so the Indie Mag link is broken. The Women's Health article engages in wild and ridiculous hyperbole. But the Teen Vogue piece is well written and has a more nuanced take - as expressed there, "digital blackface" isn't just "posting gifs of black people", as your OP suggested, it's excessive posting of black people gifs or memes in the context of a debate about race - the article gives the example of a debate about hosting a party at an old slave plantation. I can see that in that context, a white person doing that could seem crass and offensive.

As usual this issue is much more nuanced than Fluminator's attention-whoring, clickbait-y opening post suggests.

French_boi

#9 Post by French_boi » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:43 pm

Fluminator, judging by your post history, it's hard to believe that you are asking this question in good faith. It seems more likely you just wanted to inflame debate on some obscure topic so that you can try to enrage people enough to join your "side" of some pointless "culture war". My apologies if I'm wrong here, but that's just what it looks like to me.
The only people I've ever heard anyone bring up digital blackface in my personal life are anti-SJWs trying to use it as a talking point.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#10 Post by Chaqa » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:02 pm

How many threads until people realize Flum is a troll

Fluminator

#11 Post by Fluminator » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:23 pm

I obviously exist in more progressive circles than you are which is understandable. This site has always been a bit of a conservative echo chamber.

French_boi

#12 Post by French_boi » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:32 pm

What I was saying is that I don't believe you truly are a progressive. From what you are posting (here and in other threads), it seems more likely you are acting in bad faith to make progressives look bad. I apologize if I'm mischaracterizing you, but that's what it looks like. No progressive I know (myself included) approaches issues this way.

French_boi

#13 Post by French_boi » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:34 pm

Sorry if I'm reading into it too much.

Bonatogether

#14 Post by Bonatogether » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:32 pm

conservative echo chamber? on my webdip?

not if jamie has anything to say about it

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#15 Post by Hamilton Brian » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:56 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:02 am
That was my initial reaction to but after doing more research there's a lot of articles on it. This isn't something I made up. Just to list a few:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/a3 ... blackface/
https://indie-mag.com/2021/02/digital-blackface/
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/digital ... ction-gifs

If I write these people off as whiny bitches and then get in trouble for it later on, I'll be holding you responsible
Love your peer-reviewed journals, Flum! Yep, consider me a gatekeeper and I look down on pop-magazines. I mean, in my day, Leif Garrett was destined to be President given all the Tiger Beat covers.

Jamiet99uk

#16 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:02 am

Fluminator wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:23 pm
I obviously exist in more progressive circles than you are which is understandable. This site has always been a bit of a conservative echo chamber.
Lol.

Go fuck yourself. You are one of this site's Conservative foghorns. You constantly attempt to wreck sensible debate using threads like this to push your neo-fascist crap. We're all pretty tired of it, to be fucking honest.

Just go away.

Fluminator

#17 Post by Fluminator » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:07 am

Just because I sometimes listen to Joe Rogan, doesn't mean I'm conservative.

I'm sorry you think I'm ruining the many very active sensible debate threads that are on this forum though.

Jamiet99uk

#18 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:13 am

Fluminator wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:07 am
Just because I sometimes listen to Joe Rogan, doesn't mean I'm conservative.

I'm sorry you think I'm ruining the many very active sensible debate threads that are on this forum though.
Every time you make a thread like this, I assume you are trolling.

Why do you think that is?

Fluminator

#19 Post by Fluminator » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:20 am

Because society is bonkers, and any snippet of it looks like trolling when taken in a vacuum?

French_boi

#20 Post by French_boi » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:40 am

Or maybe because you're just being too obvious with the fact that you are trolling. Before I saw your newest thread on Trump being the "antichrist" I gave you the benefit of the doubt. But come on, you're not even hiding it. No one, progressive or conservative, believes Trump is the antichrist. I'm sorry, but you're not even hiding it here.