Are female superhero movies unpopular because…

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Tolstoy

Re: Are female superhero movies unpopular because…

#21 Post by Tolstoy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:31 am

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:38 pm
is this because men hate female superheroes

or is it because these shows and films suck
The latter. Men had *NO* problem at all with Ellen Ripley (originally supposed to be a male character, but no one cares), Sarah Connor, Buffy Summers, or The Bride. These characters were the backbones of franchises that made hundreds of millions of dollars. Modern movie/TV writers just suck (for the most part).

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#22 Post by goldfinger0303 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:24 am

Fluminator wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:48 pm

Thor 2 broke me and I stopped watching after that
So...you stopped watching when you watched the consensus nadir of the Phase 1-3 movies?

Like....aside from Ultron (which really isn't alll that bad), things just get better from there. You have Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor Ragnarok, Civil War, Black Panther, Spiderman....all leading up to Endgame.

Keep watching. There's a few duds still to go through, but even those aren't as bad as what you've already been through

biggerarmydiplomacy

#23 Post by biggerarmydiplomacy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:27 am

"is it because men hate female superheroes"
Yeah, kinda, I think. The audience for these movies is mostly male and men in general dont connect as much with female characters. Especially when they are heavily themed around female empowerement. Brie Larsson saying she doesnt care if men dont like her movie didnt help her either, I think.

Doom427

#24 Post by Doom427 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:44 pm

If we think Historically, female superhero movies were... Just really really bad. Like worst movies of all time bad. Pretty fun if you enjoy garbage, but mostly just shows that female superheros movies were typically seen by studios as a crapshoot.

As far as the MCU movies go, Captain Marvel was as good as every other MCU movie- it feels more like a cipher for the audiences feeling on brie Larson than anything else.

Female led action movies in general aren't usually popular though- there are a few standouts but, as Tolstoy helpfully made a list for us, it's typically horror protags who got to stick around when their series became action movies instead, or Japanese or Hong Kong influenced stuff where women get to do action things.

As far as the why, it's really down to studio influence the most - yeah you'll get the "They got estrogen in my cool shit and now it's lame" complaints but the average person really doesn't care. Studios do though, and they are very conservative and are going to focus on the most conservative and basic movies possible before jumping on a genre and adding diversity for a gimmick.

Doom427

#25 Post by Doom427 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:45 pm

. .. can you tell I'm a bit of an academic.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#26 Post by flash2015 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:16 pm

A lot of them are terrible...showing diversity or spreading "the message" is being used as a substitute for a plot. Studios are all in on using the "anyone that doesn't like the movie/series must be racist/sexist" as part of their marketing strategy.

I like watching the Critical Drinker on youtube. He lays out well why a lot of these movies/series are so bad.

I am struggling through the Rings Of Power at the moment because I read all the Tolkein books in my teen years. I don't care whether some of the Hobbits are black! The series is boring. It could have been so much better.

Octavious

#27 Post by Octavious » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:53 pm

I struggle with Rings Of Power because one of the Hobbits is Lenny Henry, and it's impossible for any Brit to watch it without thinking "that's Lenny Henry attempting some kind of Irish accent..." and it takes you right out of the universe.

In terms of it being boring, I suggest you reread The Council of Elrond, everything after the ring falls into Mount Doom, and the Silmarillion. I think they've captured the tedium of Tolkien's extravagances rather well
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Macchiavelli

#28 Post by Macchiavelli » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:08 pm

America has a lot of republican incel woman-haters, and that generates some of the hate.
Brie Larson, in her 1st interview, interupted a male reported and said she only wanted ocmments from females. That put a lot of men against her.

Currently, most of the hate is towards She-Hulk. It is intentionally written to attack men. The first few episodes have a plethora of male characters who are intentionally made to symbolize all that women see as wrong with men; and they throw the blame for white male republicans at the feet of all white males. The writing is shallow and openly sexist and bigoted, it is the intentional identity of the show to be anti-man.

Disney hasn't seemed to figure out that you can empower women without slandering men, and this leads to terrible writing, poor plotlines, and openly sexist tropes.

So, some of the hate towards female heroes in marvel is from republicans and incels, and some of it is from smart multicultural men who are sick of terrible writing and shallow plotlines.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#29 Post by kestasjk » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 am

Macchiavelli wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:08 pm
America has a lot of republican incel woman-haters, and that generates some of the hate.
Brie Larson, in her 1st interview, interupted a male reported and said she only wanted ocmments from females. That put a lot of men against her.

Currently, most of the hate is towards She-Hulk. It is intentionally written to attack men. The first few episodes have a plethora of male characters who are intentionally made to symbolize all that women see as wrong with men; and they throw the blame for white male republicans at the feet of all white males. The writing is shallow and openly sexist and bigoted, it is the intentional identity of the show to be anti-man.

Disney hasn't seemed to figure out that you can empower women without slandering men, and this leads to terrible writing, poor plotlines, and openly sexist tropes.

So, some of the hate towards female heroes in marvel is from republicans and incels, and some of it is from smart multicultural men who are sick of terrible writing and shallow plotlines.
Terrible writing and shallow plotlines are nothing new, but blatant open sexism being okay again is something new and weird in a world that's more tolerant towards almost everything. And setting it up so that you're either a white male incel/republican/nazi/misogynist if you don't approve of what Disney/Marvel/Buzzfeed/etc are doing is playing right into it. (imho)

Doom427

#30 Post by Doom427 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:56 am

kestasjk wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 am
Macchiavelli wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:08 pm

Terrible writing and shallow plotlines are nothing new, but blatant open sexism being okay again is something new and weird in a world that's more tolerant towards almost everything. And setting it up so that you're either a white male incel/republican/nazi/misogynist if you don't approve of what Disney/Marvel/Buzzfeed/etc are doing is playing right into it. (imho)
Come the fuck on yall-
Marvel did a twenty movie series with like... 3 things that weren't led by white dudes? Like what the hell is this coming from? I find the gestures toward woman soladirity lame too, but do you really think Marvel doesn't have another support for white men?

And complaining about buzzfeed? I was unaware the website for slightly nerdy preteen girls that was most relevant a decade ago somehow was a major player on the media landscape.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#31 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:28 am

Released on Youtube, a 24 minute short film titled
Formosus, the Mystic and the Witch

Featuring Ana Matsis as Magda, a dangerous, powerful Matriarch with supernatural powers and a lust for blood!
Magda's acolyte and virginal companion Tertia is played by vision impaired actor, singer Rachael Leahcar.
See what i do to Naughty Pope Steven 6th in our prison cell.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#32 Post by kestasjk » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:03 am

Doom427 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:56 am
kestasjk wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 am
Come the fuck on yall-
Marvel did a twenty movie series with like... 3 things that weren't led by white dudes? Like what the hell is this coming from? I find the gestures toward woman soladirity lame too, but do you really think Marvel doesn't have another support for white men?

And complaining about buzzfeed? I was unaware the website for slightly nerdy preteen girls that was most relevant a decade ago somehow was a major player on the media landscape.
Did those movies have women as the enemy? If you find the “gestures to woman solidarity lame” and include casting white men as the enemy it sounds like we’re on the same page.

I don’t like stuff like this: https://twitter.com/thatguyscotland/sta ... 7629798402
Most men don’t look in the mirror and see a problem.. But it’s staring us in the face.
Or this: https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/clementi ... 28477.html
This is sexism .. right? Are you actually okay with that? I hadn’t heard of this until now but wow, if I was a reporter who was in favour of equal pay / maternity leave / womens rights / against rapists / etc (which I think a lot of men are, dare I say most men..), that would make my blood boil.

It just makes me sad; men, and especially white men, are supposed to be somehow inherently bad these days.. Can’t we just judge each individual?

I know it’s a divisive topic and I think we can cherry pick things on both sides that seem extreme, but I just think people will look back on this as a backwards step for tolerance/prejudice in what has been two decades of really positive improvements in most areas.

Doom427

#33 Post by Doom427 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:56 am

kestasjk wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:03 am

Did those movies have women as the enemy? If you find the “gestures to woman solidarity lame” and include casting white men as the enemy it sounds like we’re on the same page.

I fucking wish they did- god I fucking love movies where a group of evil women are being evil and are the enemy- they at least have women doing things! Though, I don't know what you're referring to when it comes to female superhero movies where "white men are the enemy". In Captain Marvel the enemy is... evil alien empire? I think? That wandavision show the enemy was... a chick? but I think mostly herself? Do you have any actual examples of what you don't like...?

kestasjk wrote:

I don’t like stuff like this: https://twitter.com/thatguyscotland/sta ... 7629798402

Doom427

#34 Post by Doom427 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:56 am

Wow- fucked that one up. Let me give it anotehr go, sorry y'all

Doom427

#35 Post by Doom427 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:06 pm

kestasjk wrote:

I wish they did have women as the enemy- in that case women would get to actually do things in these movies instead of being love interests.
kestasjk wrote:

I wish men would stop catcalling me from their cars, and I really wish they would stop fucking women who were black out drunk. If you think this is unacceptable discourse because it doesn't treat men as the special unique snowflakes they are, I don't really care. The text of the tweet is a I guess a little lame. But I really don't care about that
kestasjk wrote:
Or this: https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/clementi ... 28477.html
Gender disappoint- most well known as a dad annoyed that he's getting another daughter instead of a son in every hackey sitcom. Is having it reversed, just once, where a mom is annoyed she's getting a son instead of a daughter, too much for you? If it makes you feel any better, my mom wishes I was a boy? Does that help?
I laughed, said based, and got very sad when I found out this never happened.
This is sexism .. right? Are you actually okay with that? I hadn’t heard of this until now but wow, if I was a reporter who was in favour of equal pay / maternity leave / womens rights / against rapists / etc (which I think a lot of men are, dare I say most men..), that would make my blood boil.
You haven't heard of it b/c it didn't happen. If you, (Like most men you dare say) are for women's rights and against rapists, why were you so offended by a video that says to stop catcalling women? And the answer, I already know, is you view rapists as monsters to be punched and not as dudes who look like everyone else. I, sadly, want to prevent rape instead of punch all the rapists, so I have to actually do things like tell men to stop doing these other rapey things if i want that to happen.
It just makes me sad; men, and especially white men, are supposed to be somehow inherently bad these days.. Can’t we just judge each individual?
:cry: :cry: :cry: 'Insert MLK quote' :cry: :cry: :cry:

White dudes are always individuals- everyone else never is. Have you been posting from an alternative dimension where everywhere you go, it's women in power?
I know it’s a divisive topic and I think we can cherry pick things on both sides that seem extreme, but I just think people will look back on this as a backwards step for tolerance/prejudice in what has been two decades of really positive improvements in most areas.
You're right- when the historians describe the period from 2015-2022, they'll decide that the president of the US being a fascist was much less important to prejudice in the country than the time a girl played captain marvel

Octavious

#36 Post by Octavious » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:07 pm

Doom427 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:06 pm
White dudes are always individuals- everyone else never is.
Interesting if true, but it isn't.
Doom427 wrote:
Gender disappoint- most well known as a dad annoyed that he's getting another daughter instead of a son in every hackey sitcom. Is having it reversed, just once, where a mom is annoyed she's getting a son instead of a daughter, too much for you? If it makes you feel any better, my mom wishes I was a boy? Does that help?
I think you'll find the West left behind the Middle Ages some time ago. Gender disappointment was a big thing when a King having a girl instead of a boy could mean years of war and the Kingdom being torn apart. Gender disappointment remained a significant thing when it led to issues about inheritance and the continuation of family lines. But there's been no real gender disappointment outside of immigrant families for several decades now. Sure, parents can express a preference. It is natural for a family with a girl to want a boy next, and vice versa. It is perfectly natural for a parent to have a preference, out of a perception that they might find a particular gender easier, or want a mini version of themselves or their spouse, and that's absolutely fine. But the old style gut punch of getting the wrong one is a thing of the distant past.
Doom427 wrote:

I wish men would stop catcalling me from their cars, and I really wish they would stop fucking women who were black out drunk. If you think this is unacceptable discourse because it doesn't treat men as the special unique snowflakes they are, I don't really care. The text of the tweet is a I guess a little lame. But I really don't care about that
This is blatant sexism and the concept of treating men as the problem is harmful to both men and women. Criminals are the problem, and have been the problem for as long as civilisation has existed. Yes, it would be great if women, and men for that matter, were never again raped. It would be great if you could leave your wallet or purse on a car seat without fear of it being broken into. It would be great if men, and women for that matter, could walk freely through the city streets at night without a worry about being robbed or assaulted. And, to be fair, mostly you can. But not always, because criminals exist and have always existed and always will exist. The idea that problems that have always existed can be solved by "lets educate boys" is unbelievably naive and damned insulting to the vast majority who aren't criminals. It genuinely worries me that women are being encouraged to put themselves in dangerous situations for the sake of some ridiculous "reclaim the streets, you can wear what you like" propaganda. You cannot wish away criminality with slogans. You can massively help people avoid being victims by taking sensible precautions, by not getting drunk, by not wandering off on your own

Doom427

#37 Post by Doom427 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:44 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:07 pm

I think you'll find the West left behind the Middle Ages some time ago. Gender disappointment was a big thing when a King having a girl instead of a boy could mean years of war and the Kingdom being torn apart. Gender disappointment remained a significant thing when it led to issues about inheritance and the continuation of family lines. But there's been no real gender disappointment outside of immigrant families for several decades now. Sure, parents can express a preference. It is natural for a family with a girl to want a boy next, and vice versa. It is perfectly natural for a parent to have a preference, out of a perception that they might find a particular gender easier, or want a mini version of themselves or their spouse, and that's absolutely fine. But the old style gut punch of getting the wrong one is a thing of the distant past.
Ok, so if you think Gender disappointment is no big deal and doesn't matter, why are you responding to me instead of Kestas? He's the one complaining about gender disappointment showing the misandry of society- I don't give a shit one way or the other.
Octavious wrote:

This is blatant sexism and the concept of treating men as the problem is harmful to both men and women. Criminals are the problem, and have been the problem for as long as civilisation has existed.
Criminals are the problem?!?!? I didn't know catcalling, telling a women she's got a nice ass, and getting her drunk to fuck her was all illegal now!

Shit I guess I have a few police reports to go file for my lifetime from age 12 to now.
Octavious wrote:

Yes, it would be great if women, and men for that matter, were never again raped. It would be great if you could leave your wallet or purse on a car seat without fear of it being broken into. It would be great if men, and women for that matter, could walk freely through the city streets at night without a worry about being robbed or assaulted. And, to be fair, mostly you can. But not always, because criminals exist and have always existed and always will exist.
What the hell even is this? "It would be nice if rape didn't happen, but there's nothing we can do about it :cry: " I mean for fucks sake we have actually lowered the rates of sexual crime. I get that requires using science and data, which is a very feminine concept which is why you're unfamiliar with it, but we can actually lower occasions. Also, and this is really obvious if you look at the data- most sexual assault happens between people who know each other. You're more likely to be assaulted by a family member then a stranger. Something you would know if you adopted that most feminine of traits- looking at statistics.
Octavious wrote:

The idea that problems that have always existed can be solved by "lets educate boys" is unbelievably naive and damned insulting to the vast majority who aren't criminals.
Oh come on. This might shock you but women have actually been around men, and even have a decent idea of what they're like when we aren't around. I mean the entire complaint on display here is that men are now hearing what women say about them when they're not around. The items in that video in question ranges from coerced sex (which is quite common and is rarely criminally punished) to just basic male heterosexual bonding that relies on the denigration of women. I mean we're on the internet- I can find dudes saying creepy things about women literally anywhere I go b/c they just assume no women are around.
Octavious wrote:
It genuinely worries me that women are being encouraged to put themselves in dangerous situations for the sake of some ridiculous "reclaim the streets, you can wear what you like" propaganda. You cannot wish away criminality with slogans. You can massively help people avoid being victims by taking sensible precautions, by not getting drunk, by not wandering off on your own
1/3 of all rapists are spouses. But I'll be sure to warn all the other girls to take sensible precautions and not get drunk or wander off alone with their husbands.

Doom427

#38 Post by Doom427 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:45 pm

Anyway, isn't this thread suppose to be female superheros?

I really like the res evil movies. They're kinda bad, but good fun, lots of women shooting things. Main character has powers, so I'd say it counts. They were pretty popular

Octavious

#39 Post by Octavious » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:03 pm

Doom427 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:44 pm
This might shock you but women have actually been around men, and even have a decent idea of what they're like when we aren't around
Honestly, I'm increasingly of the opinion that you haven't the foggiest idea what men are like when you're not around, and seem to be basing your view on a collection of YouTube videos and some bizarre gaming chat. But I have no interest in battling against your deep rooted ideology. You are clearly in no mood to consider changing your mind any time soon, and that's fine. You can save your sexist dribble about evidence being somehow feminine for someone else.

Octavious

#40 Post by Octavious » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:20 pm

Doom427 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:45 pm
Anyway, isn't this thread suppose to be female superheros?

I really like the res evil movies. They're kinda bad, but good fun, lots of women shooting things. Main character has powers, so I'd say it counts. They were pretty popular
Yeah, a bit of fun mindless escapism. You can make an argument about the capabilities of the female heroes being unrealistic, but at the end of the day not much different to the unrealism of male heroes. Let the cold hard reality of gender differences remain hidden until fun events like moving furniture crop up in real life, and let tinsel town indulge in fantasy