Roe v. Wade SCOTUS Opinion leak confirmed

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Roe v. Wade SCOTUS Opinion leak confirmed

#101 Post by Trigfea63 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:26 pm

Truth be told, I would absolutely approve of Congress doing the same exact thing. And you're right, they most likely won't because both sides will not try to compromise on their positioning in any way.
I agree, there's no chance of this happening.

Even if Congress did pass a law making abortion legal across the country, the Supreme Court could (and this Supreme Court maybe would) declare the law unconstitutional, on the ground that it violates the 10th Amendment: powers not granted to Congress under the U.S. Constitution are reserved to the States, and the people.

In 1995, the Court invoked the 10th Amendment to invalidate a federal law making it illegal to carry a firearm in a school zone. The vote was 5-4, with the 5 Republican-appointed Justices in the majority. The Court said the legislation had no meaningful connection to interstate commerce, the constitutional basis that Congress relied on to justify the law.

Our federal system of government creates a bit of a mess here. In the U.K., or pretty much any other country, if Parliament passes a law, that's the end of the story.

Jamiet99uk

#103 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:19 pm

You are a foolish person.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#104 Post by orathaic » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:04 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:20 pm
worcej wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:15 pm
orathaic wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:39 am
". All they really did was hand the decision back to the states."

Which makes abortion illegal. That the media misses this nuance isn't really much of a problem.
Technically it doesn't do what you're describing in all instances and only does so if the state in question passed a law to do so.

My issue at heart is everyone is blaming the Supreme Court for this, when in actuality I am more upset at Congress for continuously "legislating through the bench" instead of doing their own job and passing laws. Congress could've established this as law of the land in the 50 years since Roe was established in order to definitively establish what abortion should be like in the USA, but they never did. The reason, in my opinion, that they did not was because it would require politicians to expose themselves and possibly ruin their chance to be re-elected based off the position they take. It shouldn't be unknown to people in this subforum that politicians in the USA only care about one thing, and that's getting re-elected.

That being said, to the European folks here, is abortion legal in your country due to laws or was it established based off court interpretation with no laws on the books (AKA: Roe V Wade)?

My gut says it was legislated through your governments lawmaking bodies, but I am ignorant on if this is true or not.
In the UK, legal access to free and safe abortions has been widely available since 1967 due to a law, passed by our Parliament - specifically the Abortion Act 1967.

I would love to see your US Congress pass similar legislation. I assume they won't.
You know that isn't really that simple, Northern Ireland still has a ban on abortion, because some parts of the UK do have their own different laws. At least now pregnant people can travel across the border to the Republic, which is cheaper in many cases than flying to Britian... But yeah. A law was passed in 1967, it just didn't cover the whole of the UK.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#105 Post by orathaic » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:13 pm

I may be misremembering, Northern Ireland technically today has no abortions despite them being legal now, because the implementation of the law which was forced through in the last year or two has not happened, because nobody can agree on who pays for the NHS services, or some such mess.

Jamiet99uk

#106 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:20 pm

Abortion was declared lawful in Northern Ireland in 2019. Most people in Northern Ireland needing an abortion still travel to another part of the UK to have it, but this travel is fully funded by the state.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

worcej

#107 Post by worcej » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:22 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:00 pm
https://iqfy.com/dances-for-abortion/
Not going to lie, I don’t think any TikTok will save Roe v. Wade…

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#108 Post by orathaic » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:52 am

Opinion: Adoption is not a 'good' alternative
I am the “innocent child” pro-lifers love to slap on posters/use to bolster arguments. My mother gave me up for adoption after being unable to access abortion. She was poor, homeless. There was no parenting help. I received a life of pain+abuse. I would’ve rather been aborted.🧵
My adoptive parents were perfect on paper—when I say I’m the poster child I mean it. Adopted at birth, advertised as a “clean slate”, gave the chance to parent to two infertile, wealthy, deserving, tax-paying Christians. A homemaker (former teacher) and a successful executive. 2/
Behind closed doors, they were disappointed when my personality didn’t as closely match who they imagined I’d be. I was physically matched to look like them, and then was fat. They hated that. If you think this is an anomaly in adoption, you must not know very many adoptees. 3/?
That’s how they justified years of emotional and medical abuse—I had a personality they didn’t understand and they wanted it gone. They wanted what they ordered and paid for; not the human being who showed up. 4/?
Anyway—adoptees are 4× more likely to be sexually abused by an unrelated male who lives in the home. More likely to die by our “parents” hands. More likely to commit suicide, overrepped in jails, prisons, psych wards +RTCs. Adoption is COMPLICATED and comes with unique issues 5/?
We are not your poster children for removing women’s rights. Make no mistake—the adoption industry pays millions $$/year to lobbyists and directly to politicians, judges, etc, like those who ended up on SCOTUS. There are 42 waiting couples for every available infant. 6/?
Infants, womb-wet infants that cost 40 K and all that money goes to the agency and CEO salaries + back into lobbying—none of it goes to the vulnerable mother who was recruited and convinced to relinquish her child because “these people have money + they really want one.” 7/?
NONE of that money goes back into the community or into building resources for vulnerable women to empower them or assist them to parent. It DOES go to anti-choice lobbyist groups and GOP election campaigns. 8/?
Adoption is an extremely political issue. the billion $ industry is part of the reason Roe v. Wade was overturned today, and if you don’t want to believe that, you are willingly closing your eyes to reality. 9/?
Adoptees are people, and while of course some adoptions work out beautifully, that is LUCK OF THE DRAW and it doesn’t change the corrupt anti-woman’s rights system the money exchanged is fueling. The US adoption industry thrives on disempowering women. 10/?
I’m tired of seeing psychotic right-wingers talking about “the innocent child” who has been saved from being murdered in the womb. I AM that innocent child, and I would rather have been aborted than loved the life forced on me bc my mother had no options. 11/?
I speak for myself, but for me, adoption has been extremely painful + inflicted lifelong abandonment wounds that have never closed. I’m active in the adoption reform community and can tell you there are many who feel the same. Most don’t share bc of how we’re talked over. 12/?
EITHER WAY—adoptees are a diverse group of real ppl, not an abstract concept you can lump together +use for your own agenda. If anything, I’m MORE pro-choice bc of my adoption. I’m pro-family presentation + societal support systems, which are things the industry is against. 13/?
Fuck you if you’re out there talking about “innocent children” being saved from abortion and not the thousands of us suffering from the lifelong pain and trauma of adoption, like they don’t go hand in hand. Stop supporting infant adoption and stop putting me on posters, thx. /14
Edit: for clarity’s sake, “adoption” here refers to infant/womb-wet, the kind trafficked thru expensive agencies ppl sit on waitlists for years to use. While foster care is it’s own bucket of awful corrupt exploitation, “the industry” doesn’t typically include foster-adopt.
Also—thanks to adoption/my lack of support system as an adult/many years of conditioned abuse as a child, I ended up in more than one unhealthy relationship where retaining my rights to my body was PARAMOUNT to being ALIVE right now. My bio mom was also an adoptee. It’s a CYCLE.
Please consider reading about the Georgia Tann + the origins of the modern adoption industry. The foundation is corrupt and centers the baby brokers and $. Not babies, women, or even potential adopters. Everyone loses with this mentality and model.
(except those making $)

https://twitter.com/caslostwings/status ... 0932405248

Thank you all for being kind/respectful. I hope this horrifying day may be a turning point to ppl beginning to listen to us—adoption is corrupt/the industry has led directly to certain justice appointments/Roe being overturned, but these are also my feelings & I have a lot today.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#109 Post by orathaic » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:57 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:20 pm
Abortion was declared lawful in Northern Ireland in 2019. Most people in Northern Ireland needing an abortion still travel to another part of the UK to have it, but this travel is fully funded by the state.
That's it. In 2018, when the Republic finally repealed the 8th amendment (an excellent step in seperating our State from the Church) the loudest campaigners we're shouting 'the North is next'. Because having spent decades travelling to the UK for an abortion, they knew that this is not a good option. That continuity of care is compromised, and the costs* can delay abortions and lead to greater complicatipns.

All issue which will Americans in states where abortion is now illegal.

*Do you know who pays them for travel and when? Is it after the fact, because that may still result in delays.

Octavious

#110 Post by Octavious » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:24 am

Ora, what exactly is the point of that opinion piece? I can see why you want to put some distance between yourself and the ludicrous idea that adoption is worse than death, but I have no idea why you'd post such drivel in the first place.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

#111 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:11 pm

orathaic wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:57 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:20 pm
That's it. In 2018, when the Republic finally repealed the 8th amendment (an excellent step in seperating our State from the Church) the loudest campaigners we're shouting 'the North is next'. Because having spent decades travelling to the UK for an abortion, they knew that this is not a good option. That continuity of care is compromised, and the costs* can delay abortions and lead to greater complicatipns.

All issue which will Americans in states where abortion is now illegal.

*Do you know who pays them for travel and when? Is it after the fact, because that may still result in delays.
Nobody pays the patient, but it is arranged and paid on their behalf. There is a centralised booking service which covers both the travel arrangements and the booking with the clinic or hospital. To my knowledge, the woman receiving the care* does not have to pay any up-front costs.

*Because that's what abortions are: they are healthcare.

Fluminator

#112 Post by Fluminator » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:34 pm

worcej wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:22 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Probably because you didn't dance hard enough

worcej

#113 Post by worcej » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:12 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:34 pm
worcej wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:22 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Probably because you didn't dance hard enough
Is it the twerk or the floss?

Jamiet99uk

#114 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:14 pm

I'm glad you fucking assholes think this is funny.

Taking away the reproductive rights of tens of thousands of women. Big laugh. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Fluminator: You're a fucking cunt. Go fuck yourself, you fucking dick.

Worcej: Go and fucking do likewise, you nasty right wing prick.

Jamiet99uk

#115 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:19 pm

And before anyone tells me to calm down, FUCK YOU.

Here are Fluminator and Worcej laughing and making jokes about women having their reproductive rights taken away from them.

That's not a fucking appropriate topic to be making jokes about.

You should be fucking ashamed, you utter fuckwads.

worcej

#116 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:22 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:19 pm
And before anyone tells me to calm down, FUCK YOU.

Here are Fluminator and Worcej laughing and making jokes about women having their reproductive rights taken away from them.

That's not a fucking appropriate topic to be making jokes about.

You should be fucking ashamed, you utter fuckwads.
Calm down Jamie.

Jamiet99uk

#117 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:25 pm

You stop making jokes that show how little you and Flum actually care about women's rights = I'll calm the fuck down.

Until then, I'm fucking angry with you.

worcej

#118 Post by worcej » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:27 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:25 pm
You stop making jokes that show how little you and Flum actually care about women's rights = I'll calm the fuck down.

Until then, I'm fucking angry with you.
In all seriousness - I do not believe either myself or Flum finds it 'funny' that some women have lost access to abortions.

I do find it funny that people think they need to show unity by dancing in a TikTok.

I find it hilarious the Biden's Campaign sent out a mass-text based on the repeal of Roe asking for an immediate $15 dollar donation to 'fight for a woman's right to an abortion.'

I do find it comical that people continue to blame SCOTUS for this situation as if they're the responsible party for the lack of an actual law instead of the lawmakers who've had several opportunities to pass legislation to protect the right to an abortion but never did because they cared more about being re-elected than doing their job.

Jamiet99uk

#119 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:27 pm

Flum has shown how much of a fucking asshole he is for a long time. He enjoys upsetting people because he's a fucking sociopath or something. I'd take a look under his patio at some point if I was his local police force.

Worcej, you used to strike me as a good guy. We used to get on. We co-GM'ed together. I'm sorry, but you don't strike me as such a nice person anymore. I think your gun love has turned you sour.

Jamiet99uk

#120 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:28 pm

I don't care who passes the law.

Your country doesn't have a law protecting the right to abortion.

It should.

It doesn't.

That's your country's fault.