Outlandish Theory of the Week

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Octavious

Re: Outlandish Theory of the Week

#21 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:08 pm

Boris is obviously going. His Covid experience gave him a case of the willies and he's never quite recovered. But he can't go just yet because his replacement will be overly tarnished by the cost of energy prices. Conservative internal elections are usually aimed as much as possible to give the person who takes over some quick wins. I assume that's the only reason the Jimmy Saville thing came up. Tory leadership hopefuls can demonstrate their integrity by saying it's just not cricket, whilst at the same time benefiting from it being out there tarnishing Kier.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

taylor4

#22 Post by taylor4 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:19 pm

"Tory leadership hopefuls ... saying not cricket"? A posteriori, what's a googly, and is there a spin doctor in the palace Lord Chamberlai n's office distracting the
media with the "Queen Consort to be" (bombshell [sic!]) matter? ...

Octavious

#23 Post by Octavious » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:12 pm

Interesting bit of polling by Deltapoll, paid for by the Mirror, out today.

Covid has dropped to 3rd place in the list of concerns of the British public (this is a rather odd list, as things like "cost of living", "taxation", and "the economy" are treated as separate issues despite being rather closely linked) which is nice to see.

Boris is in a major slump as you would expect, but there's not a great deal of enthusiasm for Kier Starmer. There is a fair amount of love for Rishi Sunak, who seems particularly popular amongst women.

There's also the obligatory question on the Brexit referendum (despite Brexit being rather low down the list of concerns now), which is rather fun to look at.

"If there were a second referendum on British membership of the European Union, how would you vote?"

Only 83% of Brexit voters would vote Brexit if it happened again
Remarkably, only 80% of Remain voters would vote Remain.

Full report (there's a lot of it, and different bits will interest different people) can be seen here:

https://deltapoll.co.uk/polls/cost-of-l ... -312868634
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience