After 20 years of fighting the Taliban

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Octavious

Re: After 20 years of fighting the Taliban

#81 Post by Octavious » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:12 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:57 pm
I remember how consistent you have been on this...how much you complained when Pompeo and Trump were openly making deals with the Taliban last year. Oh wait...
I judge on actions. It could well be that Trump would have been just as big a failure here as Biden has been, but we will never know. It is difficult to see Trump doing well based on his initial efforts, but equally it is difficult to imagine him failing quite as badly as Biden managed. Regardless, for someone so excited by "whataboutism" it's remarkable how quickly you jump on the "but what about Trump" bandwagon. Who cares about Trump? He's yesterday's failure and Biden will firmly kill off any appetite in the US to elect those who should have retired to the golf course a decade ago.
flash2015 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:57 pm
Was this you too? You were quite happy to allow the US to abandon the Kurds.
What would you have had him do? Erdoğan isn't a problem of Trump's making.
Would you have preferred him to to have left US troops as bystanders in the middle of a confused war zone? Would you have preferred him to have US troops open fire on a NATO ally? Would you have preferred him to try and cripple NATO by seeking to remove Turkey, who provide both a key position and significant military strength?
Is this a serious point? I can accept it as just a reactionary piece of unthinking political bias in an attempt to defend Biden, but if you genuinely think the two situations are at all comparable then it's pointless continuing the discussion.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#82 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:20 am

This cock up in Afghanistan is the responsibility of numerous players, notably Dick Cheney, George W Bush, Tony Blair, John Howard, Trump, with Imran Khan and the Taliban featuring prominently.

Great comment Jamiet99Uk, for all it's wealth and military power the USA really does suck at Imperialism. The British were far more effective for at least two centuries imho.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#83 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:40 pm

I forgot to mention Iranian​ & Syrian "assistance". How ironic & tragic that the ultimate winners of twenty years of warfare in the Middle East by the USA are Iran, Russia and China

Randomizer

#84 Post by Randomizer » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:08 pm

Trump negotiating team failed the "Art of the Deal" with 3 major flaws:

https://news.yahoo.com/3-u-negotiating- ... 52016.html

But then Trump's own deals were make an outrageous opening demand and then cave when he doesn't get it.

loowkey

#85 Post by loowkey » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:23 am

This "war" is about laundering the American taxpayers money.
And 2 , securing the land from China to Europe.
No cock up here, just part of the plan