Arguments for God

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Jamiet99uk

Re: Arguments for God

#61 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:47 pm

Pascal's wager is flawed because an omniscient God would know you were wagering and that your belief was not completely sincere.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#62 Post by orathaic » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:00 am
orathaic wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 am
There's simply no upside in denying that Gods und Dieties exist and risk on the downside.
Are you familiar with Roku's Basilisk argument? It proposes an AI so intelligent that it can simulate you, and can threaten to torture (stimulated) you unless you do everything in your power to help create the Basilisk, and release it into the wild (in some AI discussions the AI is isolated from the rest of the world to prevent it taking over).

Now you might be the real you, or you might be the simulation, but why risk eternal torment? Oh and the AI can simulate 100 million copies of you, so chances are you're a simulation.

Now that you know about the idea of the Basilisk, you should clearly give up all this God worship rubbish and deal with the real (hypothetical) threat of infinite torture.

At least, based on the same logic...
And yet it apparently can't simulate a version of me that believes I just happen to really want to create the Basilisk because Basilisks are cool? Seems a tad unlikely... :?

What’s more interesting is your Freudian slip that suggests you associate torture with stimulation ;)
Freudian slip/autocorrect, you decide!

Octavious

#63 Post by Octavious » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:03 am

orathaic wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:43 pm
Freudian slip/autocorrect, you decide!
Thank you for the invitation. Very well, let's look at this in a bit more detail. :-D

I don't know of any autocorrect that would add a T to an already perfectly good word, especially when simulate has been used before without alteration. Simulated is also a commonly used word, thanks mainly to football discussions, so it won't feel at all unusual to your typical English speaking autocorrect program. It will not want to correct it.

So let's consider instead the typo. The letters around T on a qwerty keyboard are RFG and Y, none of which are in simulated, so we can rule out fat finger syndrome. Stimulated seems too unusual a word to be jumped on by predictive text... hmmm... we should probably test this...

OK, I've done a little experiment with typing extremely poorly spelt attempts at simulated and the only way I've been able to encourage the autocorrect to consider stimulated is by adding a T after the S, which as we've established is simply not a mechanical typo anyone would make...

Yeah, balance of probabilities is pointing heavily at Freudian
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#64 Post by orathaic » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:26 am

One of the assumptions is incorrect. I am not úsing English for my autocorrect.

Octavious

#65 Post by Octavious » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:53 am

Oh? Intriguing... Are you using the Carry On application? You ask for an innuendo and it gives you one?
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

Re: Arguments for taking them up the Khyber

#66 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:25 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:53 am
Oh? Intriguing... Are you using the Carry On application? You ask for an innuendo and it gives you one?
Oooer, matron!
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.