Can someone explain communism to me

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
yavuzovic

Re: Can someone explain communism to me

#81 Post by yavuzovic » Tue May 04, 2021 12:56 pm

@orathaic
Is this a book? I haven't heard of it and I also couldn't find it on the Internet.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#82 Post by orathaic » Tue May 04, 2021 4:36 pm

There is a youtube video by that name, but it is based on a book...

Adapted from the dictator's handbook

See: https://youtu.be/rStL7niR7gs

https://youtu.be/ig_qpNfXHIU

I'm think in terms of small states, it is easier to see what the powerful people are doing, and thus hold them accountable (like Iceland taking their president to court for economic mismanagement after the 2008 financial crisis, pop~300k) I don't think we know how to govern large groups of humans without corruption creeping in. Looking at the largest populations, (ie the US, EU, China and India) the each have different subdivisions (states, members, provinces etc) but we don't have a good heuristic of which powers should be devolved, and how far...

Should the US federal govt be doing single payer health care? Or should it be left to the states (for example). I think these questions are important because transparency, and accountability to the demos makes for more efficiency and less corruption. Even to the point of devolving decisionmaking to the individualor household.

Which I'm bringing up partly because I suspect the dictator's handbook may be more true for certain scale of country.

yavuzovic

#83 Post by yavuzovic » Tue May 04, 2021 8:38 pm

Ah, seems like I subscribed that channel some time ago but forgot about it lol.

I agree wth your opinion about smaller groups, but not only that is good about them. Actually I think the best thing about them is the powerful democratic representation. This matters a lot when the groups contain ethnical or cultural differences. Instead of polarising people in big groups, it could be a better idea to empower federal governments. Also it's much easier for people to form groups with their own mindset if different parts of the same country give different opportunities. I don't have much idea about the advantages of regional representations but smaller democratic groups offer more freedom - you share the power with less people.