Harry and Meghan Interview

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
brainbomb

Harry and Meghan Interview

#1 Post by brainbomb » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:45 pm

Everyone is talking about this but who honestly gives a shit about this?

Octavious

Re: Harry and Meghan Interview

#2 Post by Octavious » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 pm

Can't say I've heard anyone talking about it in the UK. Media folk get excited about it, but it doesn't generate much interest in the man in the street.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3 Post by orathaic » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 pm

Saw some US based comedians (late night shows) talk about it, but nobody else...

More interested in the fact that Simon Coveney went to Iran to negotiate on behalf of the UN security council... Like I hadn't heard we got the security council seat... And Simon bloody Coveney!?

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:14 am

brainbomb wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:45 pm
Everyone is talking about this but who honestly gives a shit about this?
If you don't give a shit about it why did you create a thread?

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:20 pm

By all accounts it's a big deal in the US, and I dare say there's some people bored enough with being stuck in their homes to chat about it for hours. I don't think it's unreasonable to start a thread about a subject that's dominating the headlines.

But good God it's tedious. The sort of stuff you imagine could only entertain curtain twitchers and fans of Eastenders.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#6 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 pm

It's interesting but hardly the most important issue of our times. Ephemera. I shouldn't really be surprised. The poorly educated, manipulated masses love ephemera. Which is possibly the most salient feature of the inevitable demise of Western Civilisation.
The right wing's five decade long attack on Public Education principally in USA has probably doomed most of us, or our descendants. Well done Presidents Nixon, Reagan, Bushes & Trumptoad & their supporters.
Devo were unfortunately, correct.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#7 Post by orathaic » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 pm

If there is one good thing to come out of this, at least I got to read to following intro in the Irish press:
Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown

Octavious

#8 Post by Octavious » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:57 pm

We tried the republic lark and received nothing but complaints from the Irish. You can't have it all ways.

Besides which it's been rather a long time since a member of the monarchy could be accused of killing, let alone murdering, anyone Irish, and really not very long at all since Prince Philip's uncle was murdered by some rather angry Irish clowns.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#9 Post by orathaic » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 am

Bit defensive there Octavious, it sounds like you doth protest too much. And also the crown and individual royals are distinct. Pretty sure the current government is defending the actions of Crown forces in murdering children, so maybe stfu?

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:42 pm

Defensive in what sense? I was merely pointing out the absurdity of that statement, much like it's absurd for you to try and squirrel its subject from the monarchy to every machination of the state. You'll be blaming the Queen for your birthday card being late next :razz:

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#11 Post by orathaic » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:21 pm

The Queen and the Crown are... You know what, if you can't read smilies and non-literal comments for what they are, that's on you.

Do I need to explain that when the Tory party and BJ's govt decides to protect murders from prosecution because they were in uniform at the time and presumably because they only shot rebel irish children, that pretty much justifies the reject of the state by those same irish people, and therefore also justifies their terrorist war.

The current Crown government, which the current Queen grants power to, wants to live in a world where IRA actions are justified. I can tell you I don't want to live in that world, and Boris Johnson is one of the worst human beings the UK could have possibly elected, but continue to ignore the principle here.

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:19 pm

Utter crap, mate. When the newspaper column starts off with "Having a monarchy next door" it is blatantly obvious that what is being talked about is the monarchy, and not the elements of the state that are common to virtually all nations regardless of whether they have a monarch or president or generalissimo.

As for murdering children, I have no idea what you're talking about. But if you want to start a new topic about it then by all means do so.