And now for something completely different...

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

And now for something completely different...

#1 Post by orathaic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:09 am

Someone (see below) used the phrase
'the personal is political', and I'm not sure how people think about it (like this forum specifically seperated politics from the rest so ppl don't have to read about it).

In the following twitter conversation, about a reddit post on relationship_advice, self-identified liberal woman coming to terms with libertarian husband joining the proud boys:
https://twitter.com/such_hockey_wow/sta ... 1948485635

Octavious

Re: And now for something completely different...

#2 Post by Octavious » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:31 am

A twitter conversation about a reddit agony aunt page? Dear Digital Deidre? That is certainly different, yes.

What direction are you hoping for this thread to go in? Another discussion on the Proud Boys? The breadth of the definition of politics? Whether you indulge in social media a bit too much?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3 Post by orathaic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:18 am

I know better than to choose the direction a thread will take. The point is whether you can seperated the personal from the political, sorry you missed it, that must be very debilitating.

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:33 am

Well, you mentioned the phrase "the personal is political" without any attempt to explain what you might mean by it, and then posted a link to a discussion about a reddit agony aunt thread about a wife concerned over het husband's political activism. You can surely see how this is unclear? Is a domestic disagreement over politics political? Yes, obviously. But it is so blatantly obvious that I'm not sure what there is to discuss. Is a fish fishy? Is rain wet?

In a wider discussion of the definition of politics, it can be as wide as to include literally everything or considerably more limited. On webDip that definition is determined, for the purposes of this niche of the forum, by whichever mod happens to be around at the time. Whether or not you agree with whatever the definition happens to be is irrelevant to what happens on the site. Outside of webDip the definition is determined by whomever happens to have power in any particular place.

So, is the personal political in the context of webDip? Ask a mod. In the context of your own head? You already know. In the context of me? Explain what you mean by the phrase and I'll tell you.

brainbomb

#5 Post by brainbomb » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 pm

oct would you support trump if you lived in murica

Octavious

#6 Post by Octavious » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Nope. Don't agree with his stance on gun control, abortion, the role of religion, his instinct towards protectionism, his playing down of the impact of climate change, support of the coal industry, his reluctance to introduce health care free at the point of use, and various other policies. Also I don't like him as a person. I'm sure I've made this clear several times :razz:

brainbomb

#7 Post by brainbomb » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:11 pm

You always seemed like a Trump apologist on here but thats clearly my misinterpretation

Octavious

#8 Post by Octavious » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:34 am

I approved of his foreign policy (which as someone who doesn't have to live in the US is one of the major issues) and had no problems with his stance on immigration. I also didn't view him as the root of all evil, which in the context of the WebDip political forum made me something of an outlier. Oh yes, and the bollocks about him attempting a coup was never more than bollocks. None of that ever made me close to being someone who would actually vote for him.

The likes of Jamie and Flash spent a huge amount of time trying to portray me as a Trump loyalist because that better suits their narrative, but like many of the things they come out with it was a long way from being actually true

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#9 Post by orathaic » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:03 pm

I hope you feel the same way about the 1916 Easter Rising, it never had any chance of succeeding, so it doesn't count as a bad thing?

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:38 pm

The events are not remotely similar. Besides which there was plenty of blame to share around for 1916. The act of the British army shelling a British city is unconscionable.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#11 Post by orathaic » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:18 pm

Both involved armed insurgents in a doomed inserection occupying a building(s).

Are you saying the difference is the state responce? I mean, I think taking the capitol building is more insurrectiony than taking the General Post Office... But post was a vital communications hub at the time...

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:31 pm

This is trolling, isn't it? You're not an idiot, and this is up there with describing the Salvation Army as a religious fundamentalist paramilitary organisation.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#13 Post by orathaic » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:11 pm

Trolling? I would never! Especially when you fail to engage with the topic of the thread and continue to deliberately miss the point. You too are no fool, despite your attempts to paint yourself as one.

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 pm

In what sense did I not engage with the topic? I answered as fully as it is possible to answer, and you showed no enthusiasm for any elaboration. I assumed you'd lost interest.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#15 Post by orathaic » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:25 pm

So ignoring the troll, could you date/marry someone with different political positions? Is (for example) joining the proud buys a step too far? Can anyone be expected to seperate politics from the personal? Or is that a privilege of the well heeled?

Octavious

#16 Post by Octavious » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:20 pm

Could do, have done, have literally no idea why it's an issue or what it could possibly have to do with being well heeled. The only common political view that would cause a problem is the view that there is only one right answer.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#17 Post by orathaic » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:09 pm

So you think the woman in the linked example is over-reacting?

I will leave it as an exercise what having money has to do with it.

Octavious

#18 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:34 pm

I don't for a moment think that you can get a decent feel of someone's life from a handful of tweets, but which woman are you referring to? Personally I think that talking about private issues with random people on the Internet is an over/stupid reaction regardless of the subject matter. If you referring to the randoms sticking their oar in, we're in no position to criticise other people for being opinionated gits :razz:.

Octavious

#19 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:35 pm

As for money, it literally has nothing to do with anything. There's no exercise to complete.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#20 Post by orathaic » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:54 pm

The Liberal woman asking what to do about her conservative/libertarian husband joining the Proud Boys.