EU vaccine hoarding

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Octavious

EU vaccine hoarding

#1 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:45 pm

What happens to the vaccines produced in the world is becoming an increasingly important question. As things stand you could be forgiven for assuming that vaccines are being utilized virtually as soon as they're produced, with wealthy nations talking increasingly about sharing their extras once priority groups at home have been vaccinated...

...but you'd be wrong.

Of the near 3/4 of a million AstraZeneca vaccines delivered to Germany only 129,000 have actually been used.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... of-support

This is frankly shameful, and a massive slap in the face to the billions of people across the world desperately waiting for their turn.

Jamiet99uk

Re: EU vaccine hoarding

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:53 pm

Firstly, as a pro-EU Liberal Democrat, Oct, why do you keep posting anti-EU threads?

Just curious.

Secondly, if you actually read the article you can see that the situation in Germany is being caused by the decisions of local / regional health administrators in Germany, exacerbated by misleading reports in German newspapers.

It's not an EU decision. Why did you call this thread "EU vaccine hoarding" instead of "German vaccine hoarding"? Why are you trying to make this look like something the EU has done?

Your anti-European right wing rhetoric shines through very plainly on this one.

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:56 pm

Now Octavious will respond to say that Germany is in the EU so his thread title is in the general direction of the truth.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4 Post by orathaic » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:47 pm

It is my understanding that the EU was responsible for vaccine purchase but not vaccine distribution.

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Being in favour of something doesn't mean you have to agree with everything it does. This is a topical post on one of the most important discussion points of current affairs. Besides which, as I thought was made fairly clear pretty recently, as much as I was an enthusiastic campaigner to Remain, and later for a second referendum, I have no interest in Rejoining.

If Germany does something that thing is done by the EU. I don't know why you struggle so much with this concept. If you take a shit you take a shit. You don't blame it all in your arse and claim it has nothing to do with the rest of you :razz:.

Donny Dude

#6 Post by Donny Dude » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:13 pm

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-astrazeneca ... a-56630827
It looks like part of the lack of rollout is skepticism and just terrible messaging on the vaccine.

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:43 pm

Indeed so. Various European governments have been incredibly irresponsible in slamming the vaccine and taking decisions against giving it to the elderly in direct contradiction to WHO scientific advice. It's reminiscent of the Trump bleach nonsense, with the potential to cause rather more deaths.

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:44 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:53 pm
If Germany does something that thing is done by the EU.
This is an utterly nonsensical and wrong-headed statement. You're either trolling at quite an intense level, or you're much less intelligent than I previously gave you credit for.

Donny Dude

#9 Post by Donny Dude » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:43 pm
Indeed so. Various European governments have been incredibly irresponsible in slamming the vaccine and taking decisions against giving it to the elderly in direct contradiction to WHO scientific advice. It's reminiscent of the Trump bleach nonsense, with the potential to cause rather more deaths.
Who is not the end all be all. They did ignore taiwan and states should not rely on international organizations advice solely. Trump bleach, just no, not even close to that.

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:45 pm

Perhaps, but there's a big difference between the WHO's political choices and their scientific advice. In the latter category they are not perfect, but are a highly credible organisation with a very strong record.

In terms of it not being close to the Trump bleach thing, I quite agree. This is far worse. Macron's outright lie that the vaccine is quasi-ineffective, the unfounded decisions not to use the vaccine against against older groups, has destroyed confidence and delayed an already feeble vaccine roll out. I don't know whether it's incompetence or a pathetic political game to save face for failing to order the vaccine early, but either way it will cost lives.

Donny Dude

#11 Post by Donny Dude » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:45 pm
Perhaps, but there's a big difference between the WHO's political choices and their scientific advice. In the latter category they are not perfect, but are a highly credible organisation with a very strong record.

In terms of it not being close to the Trump bleach thing, I quite agree. This is far worse. Macron's outright lie that the vaccine is quasi-ineffective, the unfounded decisions not to use the vaccine against against older groups, has destroyed confidence and delayed an already feeble vaccine roll out. I don't know whether it's incompetence or a pathetic political game to save face for failing to order the vaccine early, but either way it will cost lives.
Your first point is noted and I do see where you come from on that.
Macron is the same person whose wife is like 25 years older so it does not surprise me. Trump though did far worse impact and had practically no plan to roll out the vaccine and left it to the states to quibble for anything. Biden though has come with a response and at least the EU in general has not tried to claim covid does not exist while a doctor speaking says that it does at the same press conference.
The Astra vaccine is less effective in general compared to the others I think based on studies, but I am not a biologist. But one of the articles linked for the German side of things did have a line about the government allowing people to choose which vaccine they wanted so I imagine there is less impetus to get one that is less effective.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#12 Post by flash2015 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:07 am

People surprisingly don't want want to take the least effective vaccine! News at 11.

Coming up next - British Nationalist upset that British product of lower efficacy and with a troubled rollout hasn't been given the respect he feels it deserves.

We are only talking about 3/4 million doses here. In the grand scheme of things this is a tiny amount of vaccine. What a storm in a teacup.

Jamiet99uk

#13 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:39 am

I agree Flash.

Sorry I didn't comment in here further - I was relaxing by watching some of the great matches from the last football World Cup in 2018.

The competition, as you may recall if you enjoy football, was won by the European Union, who beat the team from the European Union by 4 goals to 2 in the Final. It's an interesting historical note that all of the people in the winning EU team were French nationals, whereas all of the players on the defeated EU team were from Croatia.

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:57 am

flash2015 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:07 am
People surprisingly don't want want to take the least effective vaccine! News at 11.

Coming up next - British Nationalist upset that British product of lower efficacy and with a troubled rollout hasn't been given the respect he feels it deserves.

We are only talking about 3/4 million doses here. In the grand scheme of things this is a tiny amount of vaccine. What a storm in a teacup.
You really are the fag end of webDip left wing intellectualism. That's an impressive amount of ignorance squeezed in to one small comment.

Octavious

#15 Post by Octavious » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:04 am

Are you trying to make a point, Jamie? I agree completely that the EU dominated the 2018 World Cup, much like it dominates the Olympics.

https://www.medaltracker.eu/index.php-article_id=1.html

In much the same way in 1966 Britain won the World Cup, and will do so again when Scotland lifts the trophy in Qatar.

Jamiet99uk

#16 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:54 am

:lol: Well now you're definitely trolling.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#17 Post by flash2015 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:57 am
flash2015 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:07 am

You really are the fag end of webDip left wing intellectualism. That's an impressive amount of ignorance squeezed in to one small comment.
:lol:

Your "random Octavious insult generator" response shows I pretty much nailed it.

Octavious

#18 Post by Octavious » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:14 pm

:smirk: I wouldn't want you to walk away with delusions of adequacy, old chap. You missed the nail, your thumb, and the entire work bench with that one. I genuinely have no idea how you can be so wrong so often about so many things.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#19 Post by flash2015 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:20 pm

:lol:

More random nonsense...because you can't mount a response of any substance.

Jamiet99uk

#20 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:35 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:14 pm
:smirk: I wouldn't want you to walk away with delusions of adequacy, old chap. You missed the nail, your thumb, and the entire work bench with that one. I genuinely have no idea how you can be so wrong so often about so many things.
Don't worry, you're still the champion in that category.