Facebook and Google fight Australian proposal to make them pay media organisations for content

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Facebook and Google fight Australian proposal to make them pay media organisations for content

#1 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:33 am

The Conservative~Liberal Federal Government in Australia is introducing legislation which will force tech giants Facebook and Google to pay for content. They're fighting back. I've used Bing today to get to Webdiplomacy & heard about something Interwebby called "dot dot dot go"??? which was described as the "anti Google"
What do the young enthusiastic whippersnappers think of making Google and Facebook pay for content & what is going on with this stuff?
Apparently one a is introducing a version of itself where the user pays for content and both are threatening to shut down their services in Australia

Octavious

Re: Facebook and Google fight Australian proposal to make them pay media organisations for content

#2 Post by Octavious » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:29 pm

Duckduckgo, maybe? It seems to be quite popular these days.

I confess I don't quite follow the argument. It sounds like forcing the phone book to pay for the businesses in it, which if anything feels the wrong way round. But I've no great understanding of how these companies generate revenue.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: Facebook and Google fight Australian proposal to make them pay media organisations for content

#3 Post by orathaic » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:10 pm

There is a case to be made for news aggregrators to pay for their content.

That is, sites which don't pay any actual journalists but do share their content by scrapping it from news websites.

Whether you would consider Google a news aggregrator or not is a seperated question.

Randomizer

#4 Post by Randomizer » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:51 pm

It's more of taking copyrighted content and using it without payment by claiming fair usage of more material than has been previously allowed. A country is now defining how much can be used legally.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#5 Post by orathaic » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:02 pm

Does facebook do this?

The impression I got was that they share snippets of a page, (an image and a few lines of text with a title), and then linking to it.

I don't see actual news articles being used...